Hays plc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox

Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Great training, International opportunities, good commission scheme(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable(in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else(in 7 reviews)

Excellent place to work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Ipswich, England (UK)

ProsOffice atmosphere buzzing every day. The calibre of staff is excellent with everyone helping to push each other on to achieve goals every day. Helpful and friendly culture which promotes best practice.

ConsSomewhat restricted with involvement in back-office process which can cause a back-log of paperwork and administration. Sometimes this can cause time to be wrapped up in sorting this out which detracts from sales activity.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline admin as it piles up and takes up a lot of time that could be better spent elsewhere. It would be useful if staff were in place specifically to deal with these issues. It would allow us more time to generate placements.

Hard work but rewarding, financially and professionally

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) Sheffield, England (UK)

ProsYou get out what you put in. There is the potential to earn a lot of money if youre willing to put in the hard work. If you are nosy like me, and like to find out about people, its the best, I've found people love to talk about themselves and its the best way to build rapport with people. The weeks are long as we work 8:30-6, however the recruitment industry has the reputation work hard play hard so the work life balance is good.

ConsThe long hours can sometimes be draining. You can never get absolutely everything done on your to do list, you often feel like there arent enough hours in the day, so its often difficult to manage your time and prioritize the most important things

Advice to Senior ManagementGiving support to new starters and other employees is so important. It can be overwhelming so knowing you can go to your senior manager and ask for help is always encouraging. A problem shared is a problem halved at the end of the day

An amazing time with amazing people - loved my job!

Receptionist (Former Employee) Guildford, England (UK)

ProsI worked with really great people over a number of years with Hays and made some fabulous friends.

ConsShame it all had to end ! :(

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the fabulous work promoting HAYS plc :)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great business. An ethical recruitment firm.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsCompetitive pay. You really directly influence what you earn. With time you will find yourself sitting down with really senior people to understand the direction of the business and how you, as one operational person, can influence it. Training is given at all stages of your career.

ConsThe only thing I would say about this company is that it is not for coasting. If you want to do a 9-5, I'd do it somewhere else, less demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegional and sector responsibilities could be defined more clearly. Especially in tough times, it would be best not to spend energy on arguments with colleagues.

Excellent place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsFantastic training programme and support

ConsCould offer a better benefits package.

Good training VERY boiler room

Junior Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe training at Hays is unrivalled and the doors it opens for your next role is great too.

ConsVery boiler room and kpi driven. Not a great commission structure and you are lost amongst loads of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff and show some compassion. When you invest so much money in each recruit it seems pointless not to help them grow. There is no sympathy for potential without results. If you are the best you are well looked after but having ok figures makes you invisible. I am billing more than some of the top billers when I was there. This is mainly down to the support I was shown.

It is a good place to get recruiting experience but it is best to leave once you get to Senior Consultant level.

Business Manager (Former Employee) Canada, KY (US)

ProsGood training. Good commission plan. A lot of nice employees in Canada.

ConsIn North America, managers have zero decision making power. The President's yearly messages contradict each other and he has no loyalty to his staff. Turnover is high because of this. Back office rule with an Iron fist and actually hamper sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward people who have performed well for you for several years rather than discarding them to focus on new starters. Live up to what you have promised your staff. Don't lie to people. Treat people with respect. I'm at a recruiting agency now that does this, and it's awesome!

Excellent training. A really good place to start your career in recruitment.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat training and support. Lots of opportunities both UK based and globally.

ConsAlthough basic salaries have improved the commission structure is not very competitive. Hours of work can be long and lack of flexibility to work from home.

Fast paced and exhilarating

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsFor the workaholics it is perfection, the ideal job. The job satisfaction is great when you've placed a candidate in their dream job.

ConsLong hours, hard work and sometimes frustrating. You will know in the first year if this job is for you. High turn over of staff.

A company with no Ethics

IT Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSome very good people work at Hays and are very sociable. The management have no interest in maintaining a team and are more geared towards a factory model to make money. Would suit any managers working in this sort of an environment.

ConsNo direction from management. Self preservation attitude everywhere you turn. Mostly firefighting throughout rather than analyzing the actual problem.No company ethics towards employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to treat you employees better. You fired some of your most loyal and long serving employees which is disgraceful.

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!