Harris Teeter

Harris Teeter Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Harris Teeter President Fred Morganthall II

Fred Morganthall II

Pros:
  • "Bonus checks depending on hours worked"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Profit Sharing, better than minimum wage pay, decent benefits even for part time"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "poor communication within the store management to their employees"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fresh Foods Clerk

Fresh Foods Clerk (Current Employee)
Fulton, MD (US)

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time for more than a year

ProsHT is a solid company to work for, great benefits above average pay they are customer focused, best part time job ever and you get paid weekly.

Consmaybe hire more of a mix of young / older individuals

Fun place to work if you are driven by money.

Assistant Inventory Manager (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you like shopping at Harris Teeter, then you would love the employee discounts.

ConsJust like all companies, customer satisfaction is one of their number one priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore manager stresses out the manager in charge of the crew, including the assistant managers...who also stresses out the assistant manager of the crew...who also stresses out the crew. Can't lie, but work was stressful most of the time especially when you have to compete with time.

Great training

Assistant Fresh Foods Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing training programs compared to previous employers. Very number oriented so you learn alot about the business aspect of the business even only being an assistant, very organized, as much as retail can get anyways.

ConsThe store I am at is awful, you see other managers try so hard to do their best but can't get anything accomplished because of the moral of store and alot of no calls no shows due to poor hiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people!!

Review

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Fairfax, VA (US)

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for more than 3 years

ProsStarter salary is nice.

ConsWork is tedious at times.

Amazing.

Cashier-Bagger (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for more than a year

ProsThey don't skimp on hours.

ConsIt is a grocery store.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being awesome.

Great Company to work for!

Co-Manager (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat Pay and benefits if you can deal with the typical retail hours and shifts

ConsTypical retail management hours and shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell run company

Assistant Customer Service Manager

Assistant Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time

ProsIts always said that Harris Teeter attracts a specific type of customer and this is true. Our customers demand a lot for us and its a daily challenge to be able to deliver on whatever the request may be. I like being challenged rather than being stuck in a repetitive grind.

ConsI was given 6 days notice before they transferred me to a store over 50 miles away from my home (which by policy they should have helped me move to the new city, but they didn't). My pay rate is so low that I've resorted to having to keep multiple part time jobs just to make ends meet. My store director lacks compassion and empathy for his employees and can't see details that make up the big picture. The moral of the entire store has gone down and it shows in the effectiveness of each department.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to keep the store managers from hiding in their office. If the front end needs help because we don't have the labor, then help us. Its counter productive to tell us to "manage labor" and then tell the store management team that they are not allowed to do certain things in a department that has greatly helped in the past. We are a team, stop treating us like a conquered territory that you must keep down to remain in control of.

This is a good job if looking for something in between jobs or for benefit reasons.

Deli Clerk (Former Employee)
Hilton Head Island, SC (US)

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for more than a year

ProsThe good portions of working with this company are the laid back on time policies and management usually deal with the stocking of all product.

ConsSome of the cons for working with this company are forward move my within the company is very limited and hard to accomplish with out spending a considerable amount of time there.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe advice I would give to management is to promote more within. Other than that management was consistent.

Strong company with good products.

Fresh Foods Manager (Current Employee)
Charleston, SC (US)

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for less than a year

ProsCompany values good quality and safety, with lots of training for managers.

ConsCustomer service is a high priority, but labor hours are designed to squeeze so much productivity out of each associate, that almost no time is left for managing and customer service.

Okay so far

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for more than a year

ProsYou do get bonuses twice a year depending on how well the stores sales are. If management see some potential in you, they will recommend you for more opportunities in the store.

ConsComing from a competitor and having over 15 years experience, I thought that I would have gotten a better pay rate.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harris Teeter reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Harris Teeter CEO Fred Morganthall II. All 332 reviews are posted anonymously by Harris Teeter employees.