Harris

Harris Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown

Bill Brown

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule has definitely kept me from leaving the company despite several other offers (in 30 reviews)

• The project I've been on for 3 years has a great work life balance (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The newest slogan is "do more with less" so the work-life balance is skewing (in 7 reviews)

• Upper Management likes to out source your job once they see that your work is complete (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong in growth, innovative and friendly

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsHarris is a strong and fast-growing company . The working environment is friendly and flexible. Pays well to the standards. Benefits are good.

ConsThere is really not much to complain about at this moment

Just crap.

ProsWorking with the latest technology in the Broadcast industry and help developing them.

ConsVery little pay raises. we're always citing there is no money but yet they are hiring new talent. Managment is all about self-preservation. nobody is there to develop their own talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngineering and management needs a change and new blood. same group of guys have been there putting out the same stuff. The culture there is a draconian one and voicing your own opinion puts you out.

Neutral

Database Administrator (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsSince there is shortage of full time employees, so it provides Job security.

ConsNot much chance of career advancement. Or perform technical architecture planning and testing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stable in a climate of instability

Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Palm Bay, FL (US)

ProsFantastically innovative environment, developing cutting edge tech.

ConsManagers who are empire builders instead of team leaders and innovators. All too often standing in the way of employee growth, development and movement within the organization to retain their control. Many times advancing individuals into management roles that have no clear aptitude, vision for forward progress, general management savvy, effective communication or people skills. Just because you are an intelligent engineer does make you effective business management material.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than keeping a myopic view of company needs in relation to the career development of employees, you could save a tremendous amount of investment and excellent employee turnover by just rewarding and retaining your best and brightest, with promotion compensation and recognition.

Interesting project - Nice people to work with.

Network Control Tech (Former Employee) Melbourne, FL (US)

ProsFriendly people to work with. Good benefits and pay. Good work/life balance - 9/80 work week (every other Friday off).

ConsNot a lot of opportunity for advancement. Small pay raises. Somewhat of a good ole' boys/girls club and playing favorites, i.e. "You have family working for us? You get more opportunities even though you're not as qualified."

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a little more attention to your subordinates and recognize a job well done. Play favorites based on performance, not "inner circle".

Great company

Market Research Analyst (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA (US)

ProsBenefits are pretty good but the 9/80 and profit sharing are key factors to staying with the company

ConsFor a communications company it lacks good communication within the divisions of the corporation.

Diverse products allows for opportunities to explore

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Palm Bay, FL (US)

ProsHarris has many programs running concurrently. This offers opportunities to work with a diversity of customers and groups within Harris. I have been fortunate enough to work with some of the best and most creative engineers I have ever meet.

ConsHarris operates like a consolidation of small companies. Each program executes like a small company. As with any organization there are a few groups that are very difficult to work with. If you get into one of these groups work with your supervisor to transfer to another program.

Average company, used to be family and employee oriented. Now, its just a typical corporation.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL (US)

ProsGreat engineers to work with and still has a small town feel.

ConsEducation reimbursement is good for graduate school, very poor for undergrad (2 classes/yr.) Healthcare coverage was top notch until 2014 when they got rid of the nice plans and gave us a generic group of choices. 401k matching is set to decrease soon. They will only pay what it takes to keep you at your desk so make your money up front. Make sure they pay you top dollar initially. You WILL NOT make any substantial monetary gains in the years following once you sign the papers. Being rated as a high contributor (small percentage of workers) for 2014 will net you a maximum raise of 2.3%. They also delayed this until late December from August in order to maintain more money in their account while the new CEO received a 38% salary raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease see above. It doesn't look good to your employees when it's obvious that you care about your own interests instead of theirs.

Good company, solid employment

Product Specialist (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsGood benefits and vacation time off. Flexible with job scheduling. Management works well with employees.

ConsGov't processes and too many levels/titles to navigate through

Great company to work for, specially for new grads

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL (US)

ProsStable company, easy to move around to other programs, easy to ask to work on things that interest you, lots of technologies to use, great work environment, good ethics, people will help you define your career, 9/80 work week with every other Friday off,

ConsLots of politics at higher levels, low performers get shuffled around and never fired meaning you may get stuck working with, focus on minimizing expenses hurts training and expansion, lack of communication with/from management

Advice to Senior ManagementNot doing enough to retain people and you are loosing your best. Will hurt performance in future projects.

Worked for Harris? Contribute to the Community!