Harris

Harris Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown

Bill Brown

Pros:
  • "9/80 work week allows for every other Friday off"
    in 21 reviews
  • "The project I've been on for 3 years has a great work life balance"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "The newest slogan is "do more with less" so the work-life balance is skewing"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Upper Management likes to out source your job once they see that your work is complete"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Strong in growth, innovative and friendly

Software Engineer III (Current Employee)
Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHarris is a strong and fast-growing company . The working environment is friendly and flexible. Pays well to the standards. Benefits are good.

ConsThere is really not much to complain about at this moment

Just crap.

I have been working at Harris

ProsWorking with the latest technology in the Broadcast industry and help developing them.

ConsVery little pay raises. we're always citing there is no money but yet they are hiring new talent. Managment is all about self-preservation. nobody is there to develop their own talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngineering and management needs a change and new blood. same group of guys have been there putting out the same stuff. The culture there is a draconian one and voicing your own opinion puts you out.

Neutral

Database Administrator (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Harris

ProsSince there is shortage of full time employees, so it provides Job security.

ConsNot much chance of career advancement. Or perform technical architecture planning and testing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Good.

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFair compensation, good benefits, some real talent in secondary leadership positions.

ConsRequirements of contracts are often changed, and when that happens, sometimes your positions disappears. In the current sequestration crisis, and belt-tightening in Washington, D.C., management has tended to staff contracts with entry-to-mid level individuals, and it is difficult to find a senior position.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on finding outstanding individuals for secondary leadership positions. If you have a dud leading a team, everyone is miserable and productivity falls.

Excellent place to work.

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProjects are exciting and there are many to do. Pay is very good and hard work can lead to promotion. Good benefits wih occasional work at home policy when needed.

ConsRedundancies in competing product lines are frustrating and recent engineering outsourcing strategies are very concerning.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear the lines between product management and engineering. Engineering decides how products are built and product management has final say in what the product should have.

Great company for young professional, but not so much for anyone else

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Columbia, MD (US)

I worked at Harris full-time

ProsThis review is for Columbia, MD office.
- Knowledgeable engineering leads that are willing to help you learn and grow along the way. I've learned a few things while at this location that I see lacking at other companies.
- Team consists of knowledgeable and go-getter engineers.
- Great professionalism and respect among team members.
- Opportunities to work on a variety of projects.
- Occasional international travel.
- Occasional training opportunities travel.

Cons- Performance and compensation not necessary correlates. Salary is somewhat average to below average compared to other companies.
- High turnover ratio due to dissatisfaction with compensation/salary and lack of trust in management (not at the office, but at higher management from corporate).

It wasn't horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Harris

ProsI got exposed to a lot of different technology that I would not have seen otherwise. If all you want to do is keep your head down and not be noticed, this is the place! I learned a lot about defense contracting here.

ConsCreativity not welcome. Easy to get pigeon-holed. Coming out of college and moving to this town was a rough transition for a single guy... I'm not super picky but the ratio of professional men to women is very tilted. Actually the reason I left was to move to another town so I could find a wife, ha!

Hopeful work experience slides downward

Analyst (Former Employee)
Melbourne, FL (US)

I worked at Harris full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to work with some of the most intelligent,talented employees within the different disciplines. Employees are friendly and courteous.

ConsMiddle management is so removed from the day-to-day activities it takes to complete projects that they border on being useless, and in some cases, incompetent. This happens at the expense of smart, dedicated, hard-working employees consistently performing above the level of their direct managers. Upper management watches.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management: Stop focusing on the wrong metrics and start actually managing! For example, there are departments that have been reduced to just a few strong individuals, whereas before there were about a dozen or so employees. Workload and timelines remain the same. Employees are working from 50 to 60 to 70 hours per week and management strolls through the department noticing who is and who isn't present at 8:30am. Really Interesting to note, management is not there at 9:00 pm and on weekends. Dear Management: prepare to lose some serious talent and corporate memory the longer it takes you to make changes.

Back stabbing culture @ RF Systems

Program Manager III (Former Employee)

I worked at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRF Communications in Rochester NY, great area to raise family and cost of living is decent. The non-management workforce are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

ConsNo life work balance. Culture is all about making the sale regardless of what where you stand or the organization, you're expected to sacrifice family for the good of the company. If you're part of the inner circle you can do no wrong, management will blame others to protect the few that they chose.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open minded. Give opportunities to outsiders who joined the company from other organizations or competitors.

Look elsewhere if you want a long term career.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Talented and friendly coworkers....even though most of them are not staying for long.
- Lots of different state of the art technology projects and opportunities to work on.
- Working culture is very different among different teams.
- Lots of opportunities for hopping to different teams (if your supervisors/managers are friendly)

Cons- 9/80 does NOT apply in most area
- Ridiculously low annual salary raise compare to similar job function in the market.
- Basically do nothing to retain talented employees.
- Cut back on many benefits and expect further cuts.

Advice to Senior Management- Some direct supervisors (non-managers) for level 1,2 in the lower management are clueless even in the standard of management 101. Too many layers of management in the lower-mid tier decreases job efficiency and satisfaction.
- Pay more attention to the market condition (not just the local market!) about retaining the talents in specific job function. In certain area, one good worker can be more efficient than 5 not so good ones.

Worked for Harris? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harris reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Harris CEO Bill Brown. All 325 reviews are posted anonymously by Harris employees.