Habitat for Humanity Reviews

240 reviews filtered by
4.1
Habitat for Humanity CEO and Director Jonathan T. M. Reckford
Jonathan T. M. Reckford

Pros
  • Working for a worthy cause, helping people to build homes (in 11 reviews)

• You're able to really make a difference in the lives of people in need (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • this place is non-profit so there's really not much wrong with it (in 14 reviews)

• Board of Directors can be challenging if the organization does not have a clear vision for the future (in 5 reviews)

1. Valuable work.

Current Employee - Customer Care in North York, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Care in North York, ON

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Range of experiences gained with varying tasks. Meet people with charitable, ethical, conscientious attitudes like myself. hard-working co-workers!! Positive experience.

Cons

I have not experienced any cons.

Advice to Management

I don't think enough people know about all of the wonderful things about Habitat for Humanity. The projects happening..... The fact that we have furniture, accessories, lamps, art,...in addition to building materials and supplies...That you can donate, get a tax receipt, and we pick up, and for free!!

2. Habitat for Humanity from former full-time employee

Current Employee - Store Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Some of the money goes to helping families get houses who are not willing to work full-time
    -volunteering helps high school students get their volunteer hours in
    -volunteering helps people with no experience to find gainful experience

Cons

-only a percentage of donation money goes to actually building the houses the rest is kept buy the company
    -they pay their employees just over minimum wage so people working full-time are working to give people who are not willing to work houses but they can't afford them themself
    -they take advantage of their employees by paying them just over minimum wage well expecting them to do intense manual labour lifting furniture all day loading, unloading trucks, removing donations from peoples houses
    -I was made to turn away several donations from generous people because they thought they could not make enough money off the donation the person was giving (example: we can only get $75 for that stove)
    -they take advantage of their volunteers in the time i was there the average volunteer only came once cause they had them doing heavy labour example, lifting furniture, flooring, tile etc etc
    -the whole time i worked there I never heard the word CHARITY because it's a business only a portion of the money goes to the actual charity the rest is kept buy the company
    -I was very disappointed in the company because after I worked there I realized it was basically a scam taking advantage of people, well giving the impression it was not a BUSINESS when really its just like any other business except they get all their product and most of their labour for free

Advice to Management

-Pay your employees enough that they could afford a house or at least a 2 bedroom apartment
    -stop pretending all of the donation money goes to building houses
    -don't turn away donations from people who are nice enough to donate
    -don't have volunteers hire employees and pay them the proper wage for lifting heavy furniture all day

3. Volunteer

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

Great people, working for a good cause

Cons

Sometimes the volunteers work harder than the actual employees

Wonderful organization, management and staff, but sadly a poor CEO

Former Employee - Coordinator in London, ON
    Former Employee - Coordinator in London, ON

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good cause, great volunteers, good coworkers and mission

Cons

Ineffectual CEO who tends to be more concerned about his status in the community than he is about the organization.

Advice to Management

The board should allow the staff to have a voice that is heard.

6. Conservative and hierarchical, but doing good work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

The organization is growing so there are opportunities to learn and grow with the organization. There are a number of facets to the model which is interesting - retail, construction, fund development, family services. Staff are nice especially at the middle and junior level. Good mission and executes it well. Inspiring volunteers helping out in all areas of the organization.

Cons

Very hierarchical. Conservative environment. Not much communication or consultation with staff or structures set up to encourage flow of information. East York location very inconvenient. Business dress required. Salaries are low and will stay that way. Average work-life balance with most staff working overtime most of the time. Leadership team can feel uncaring. Low benefits.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for innovation to come from the bottom as well as the top. Improve communication among staff. Work on improving staff satisfaction in free ways by involving them in decisions about their work environment.

Danger to my person

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

There are no pros about this company worth mentioning.

Cons

Does not value its employees and has a terrible corporate culture. There is no training as most positions are left vacant before they hire the next person. Increases in pay did not even cover the cost of living increase. Senior management is very untrustworthy. Many employees who have worked here have left due to being over-worked, frustrated, and treated very poorly. The turn-over rate is high and retention is low.

Advice to Management

Stop having hidden agendas and be truthful about unsafe workplace practices.

8. One of the Best Non-Profits and better now with the Merger

Former Employee - Director of Build Site Experience in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Director of Build Site Experience in Toronto, ON

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had the pleasure of working with an outstanding group of people. I was humbled by their commitment to the cause and willingness to go the extra mile. The construction team was nothing short of great, and faced changes, hardships and challenges with grace and dignity

Cons

The merger of 3 "Habitats" was stressful but worked out in the end. It is not as crisp functioning as some corporations but was efficient and cooperative. Everyone wears a lot of hats, and if that is a problem for you, it will be challenging to work here

9. an alright work environment, if you know the right people

Current Employee - Online Sales and Social Media in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Online Sales and Social Media in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

nice offices, friendly environment (if you know the right people)
    decent pay
    company lunches
    good morale working for non profit
    benefits

Cons

old boys club mentality, new employees not given much chance for advancement
    miss communications between departments
    using personal vehicle without gas allowance

Advice to Management

Communicate better with staff, set goals and stick with them.

10. Great culture, beautiful building

Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Toronto, ON
    Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Toronto, ON

I worked at Habitat for Humanity as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great communication between employees and managers. Had the opportunity to learn a lot and work with all levels of the organization. Building is beautiful.

Cons

Sometimes management can be a bit held back with the amount of information they provide to interns/entry level positions. I understand this because it can be a security issue but at times when I needed information it can be a bit bothersome.

11. Designer

Former Employee - Designer in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Designer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Habitat for Humanity part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had a lot of project flexibility to work on what I wanted, which felt almost at odds with managers, who were picky about what they liked and did not, but were very hands off. There is a sense of doing good though that permeates through company culture, though, which I found to be very satisfying.

Cons

Management is a social club for old people. Managers are prone to having long, drawn out meetings and not talking about exactly what we were working on. Very unproductive environment.

Advice to Management

Be more goal oriented.

Habitat for Humanity Photos