HSBC Holdings

HSBC Holdings Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver

Stuart T. Gulliver

Pros
  • The organizations offers decently fair work life balance and job security (in 114 reviews)

• Work from home is always a plus, but you can't always do so (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance for a great deal of the employees (in 34 reviews)

• Lots of senior management changes and their dedication in investing US is not clear (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of experience potential

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGlobal company with abundance or opportunities, treat senior executives well

ConsTons of layers of management to get things approved and done, salary is not very good for junior and middle management staff

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline processes and more empowerment, help employees grow and develop their careers.

Stiff, but can be good if you're on the right team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are good benefits, and there are good managers depending on your team. Work from home is always a plus, but you can't always do so.

ConsTerrible work life balance for a great deal of the employees. The environment is stiff and unwelcoming. No flexibility in the work.

Hard work but rewarding

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsBenefits and flexible work schedule are a real plus. Staff genuinely try their best and I have always experienced my coworkers to want to do the right thing. Average 20-25 days vacation to start but this time is also used for sick time. However, if one is sick for more than 3 days, short term disability is available.

ConsExpected to give a lot of yourself to succeed. Can be draining and very competitive workplace. There is a 20/70/10 performance policy which is essentially a bell curve that can be de motivating.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest back into human capital to relieve workload.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GREAT COMPANY

ProsLike the management team, the employees were great and flexible schedule.

ConsWorking in this company come with little con. As long as you work heard you should be ok.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate better atmosphere

HSBC Canada career review

ProsGood global company with well defined processes and products. Name recognition. Ability to move outside your home country for international opportunities

ConsBureaucratic is an understatement. Too much meddling from Corporate headquarters in London. If you are the creative and independent sort, definitely not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease allow local needs to drive products and services. What works in the UK does not necessarily needs to work in North America.

over 16 yrs experience on mortgage, loan, Registered Plan Admin (RRIF)

Mortgage Processor and Closer (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsAnnual time off vacation is very good according to your experience

Consmost of job has been moved to India

Advice to Senior Managementmust focus on Quality of work instead of labour costing in order to maintain good reputation.

Wide international reach - strong player

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsWide international reach, affords mobility

Conscant think of highlights at the moment

Advice to Senior Managementwe have plenty of opportunities to share that within the company

Decent exposure to retail banking and great branch colleagues, but management focused too micro-managerial and negative.

Personal Banker (Former Employee)

ProsGood entry-level experience to retail banking to further your career with another financial institution, but not with HSBC as they are too bureaucratic, lack focus and micro-managerial.

ConsExpected to work overtime without compensation, too much focus on the negative with little positive reinforcement (i.e., branch management likes to write staff up for every minor thing, perhaps to make themselves look better to superiors when branch may not be performing to expectations), overly bureaucratic, micro-managerial, non-integrated I.T. systems, ever-increasing offshoring of non-sales focused job roles and continuous downsizing of distribution platforms (specifically, branch channels) and businesses leaves staff worrying about long-term career futures.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease positive reinforcement and financial incentives to staff, less focus on the negative, integrate company-wide I.T. systems to ease staff frustrations and increase productivity and implement more staff suggestions for process improvements.

Could be much much better

Premier Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThey gave me a job.
    Seem to be making slow progress to bring their systems up to par with other large canadian banks.

ConsTraining for new hires is well below standard. Many other banks have 6 month trainee periods for new hires. HSBC throws new hires right into the line of fire.

Too many changes in senior management which results in the bank going in different directions to often.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to front line employees about changes that should be made.

Personal Banker

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsGreat learning grounds as a sales environment. At my location, it is very busy and the customer base is very diverse - management and customers both do a thorough job of testing your patience and ability to cross-sell. Opportunity to learn a wide breadth of skills.

ConsManagement is very stiff; the work environment is political and not welcoming. The pay is below average for an entry-level CSR role.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistribute more decision power down to the front-line employees, who really have invaluable feedback. Consider more flexibility in company policies between branches, as some locations can be extremely busy and should be managed/incentivized accordingly.

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!