HSBC Holdings

HSBC Holdings Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver

Stuart T. Gulliver

Pros:
  • "The organizations offers decently fair work life balance and job security"
    in 107 reviews
  • "You get lots of paid vacation and you can work from home"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Constant change; Limited work-life balance"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Lots of senior management changes and their dedication in investing US is not clear"
    in 45 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hard work but rewarding

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Burnaby, BC

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits and flexible work schedule are a real plus. Staff genuinely try their best and I have always experienced my coworkers to want to do the right thing. Average 20-25 days vacation to start but this time is also used for sick time. However, if one is sick for more than 3 days, short term disability is available.

ConsExpected to give a lot of yourself to succeed. Can be draining and very competitive workplace. There is a 20/70/10 performance policy which is essentially a bell curve that can be de motivating.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest back into human capital to relieve workload.

GREAT COMPANY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsLike the management team, the employees were great and flexible schedule.

ConsWorking in this company come with little con. As long as you work heard you should be ok.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate better atmosphere

HSBC Canada career review

I have been working at HSBC Holdings

ProsGood global company with well defined processes and products. Name recognition. Ability to move outside your home country for international opportunities

ConsBureaucratic is an understatement. Too much meddling from Corporate headquarters in London. If you are the creative and independent sort, definitely not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease allow local needs to drive products and services. What works in the UK does not necessarily needs to work in North America.

over 16 yrs experience on mortgage, loan, Registered Plan Admin (RRIF)

Mortgage Processor and Closer (Current Employee)

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAnnual time off vacation is very good according to your experience

Consmost of job has been moved to India

Advice to Senior Managementmust focus on Quality of work instead of labour costing in order to maintain good reputation.

Wide international reach - strong player

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWide international reach, affords mobility

Conscant think of highlights at the moment

Advice to Senior Managementwe have plenty of opportunities to share that within the company

Decent exposure to retail banking and great branch colleagues, but management focused too micro-managerial and negative.

Personal Banker (Former Employee)

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood entry-level experience to retail banking to further your career with another financial institution, but not with HSBC as they are too bureaucratic, lack focus and micro-managerial.

ConsExpected to work overtime without compensation, too much focus on the negative with little positive reinforcement (i.e., branch management likes to write staff up for every minor thing, perhaps to make themselves look better to superiors when branch may not be performing to expectations), overly bureaucratic, micro-managerial, non-integrated I.T. systems, ever-increasing offshoring of non-sales focused job roles and continuous downsizing of distribution platforms (specifically, branch channels) and businesses leaves staff worrying about long-term career futures.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease positive reinforcement and financial incentives to staff, less focus on the negative, integrate company-wide I.T. systems to ease staff frustrations and increase productivity and implement more staff suggestions for process improvements.

Could be much much better

Premier Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey gave me a job.
Seem to be making slow progress to bring their systems up to par with other large canadian banks.

ConsTraining for new hires is well below standard. Many other banks have 6 month trainee periods for new hires. HSBC throws new hires right into the line of fire.

Too many changes in senior management which results in the bank going in different directions to often.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to front line employees about changes that should be made.

Personal Banker

Personal Banker (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I worked at HSBC Holdings part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat learning grounds as a sales environment. At my location, it is very busy and the customer base is very diverse - management and customers both do a thorough job of testing your patience and ability to cross-sell. Opportunity to learn a wide breadth of skills.

ConsManagement is very stiff; the work environment is political and not welcoming. The pay is below average for an entry-level CSR role.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistribute more decision power down to the front-line employees, who really have invaluable feedback. Consider more flexibility in company policies between branches, as some locations can be extremely busy and should be managed/incentivized accordingly.

Stick to retail banking

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat branch staff, they keep you going

Consmicro managing, head office not in touch with the grass roots and not listening to staff who know whats really going on

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff, they know better than you do.

The people at work made the experience great, but like many other large companies is encumbered by red tape

Environment Management Intern (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I worked at HSBC Holdings as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat people, worked in a very nice office with a nice open environment. The size of the company allowed them to hire many interns which led me to make many lasting friends after my internship

ConsOld fashioned with many encumbrances whenever you try to request things. Very little flexibility in the work you do.

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HSBC Holdings reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for HSBC Holdings CEO Stuart T. Gulliver. All 902 reviews are posted anonymously by HSBC Holdings employees.