HSBC Holdings

HSBC Holdings Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014

HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver

Stuart T. Gulliver

Pros:
  • "The organizations offers decently fair work life balance and job security"
    in 106 reviews
  • "You get lots of paid vacation and you can work from home"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Constant change; Limited work-life balance"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Too many changes in senior management which results in the bank going in different directions to often"
    in 43 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Staty away if you are in IT

Manager - IT (Current Employee)

I have been working at HSBC Holdings

ProsIf you want to work for a behemoth organization and just be a face in the crowd then go for it. Before the financial crisis struck job security was fairly good, especially in IT where I worked so that could have been another reason lot of people, particularly in Vancouver, Canada remained stuck in their positions.

ConsFrom an IT perspective, it's a career killer. The technology leadership team is incompetent and only acts as yes-men telling the CIO what he wants to listen. The Household team (includes the CIO) is in charge and they're trotting out the same dog and pony show before business year after year. IT is touted as a force for change but status quo reigns supreme and there's no clear understanding of what business benefits IT changes can bring. Bottomline, If you're looking for a dynamic, fast-paced, forward-looking career it IT, this ain't the place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness needs to seriously evauate why they keep on bankrolling IT to the tune of 6+ billions of dollars a year for systems that are obsolete, require armies of maintenance teams and in general, are too slow to respond to market changes.

happy but concerned

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at HSBC Holdings

ProsIts big enough to offer security but retains a human dimension.

ConsSalaries could be better. Also the Bank seems to be headed towards adopting a harder nosed policy towards personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove back to being a sound bank rather than a department store.

Decent place to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HSBC Holdings

Pros-Major international name
-One of the few companies headquartered in Vancouver
-Recognition of work life balance
-Casual work environment
-Decent place to start out a career, especially if you are thinking of working globally in the future. Depends on what department or group you work for however.

Cons-Promotion seems to be based on seniority rather than performance
-Underpay employees in relation to competitors
-Highly bureaucratic, many levels of hierarchy
-Still a minor player in Canada
-Current emphasis on cost-cutting
-Focus is always on costs, rather than a total cost-benefit analysis
-Lack of company social activities
-Lack of communication and tight-knit culture with fellow employees

Advice to Senior Management-Increase compensation in order to retain star employees

Great people but below-market salaries and poor leadership provide for an uncertain future.

Business Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at HSBC Holdings

ProsGreat colleagues who take the time to train you and to assist you with your job duties. Very knowledgeable senior managers with strong background in the industry. Good number of vacation days. Potentially strong bonus/incentive system. Well respected company with a strong credit culture.

ConsPoor leadership. Very manual processes. Slow career advancement. Below average base salary compensation. Cheap/frugal culture even for a bank. Pay-for-performance culture is unevenly applied with a tendency to reward mediocrity. While the organization is the largest global bank in the market, there are still very limited opportunities to work in another country within the Group, except at the highest levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor your high-potential, strong performing employees you need to pay them closer to the market (base salary), provide them with advancement opportunities either within their current role or in another department in the company. Most importantly there has to be a real concerted push for improving the manual processes that prevent employees from effectively doing their jobs.

Merge Finance to the bank

Toronto, ON

I have been working at HSBC Holdings

ProsIt's a way to get to working for HSBC (the bank). If you love to relocate or work anywhere in the world, this might be the place for you

ConsFinance is a small branch of the bank and honestly it's not a good place to work. I've heard that on the other side working for HSBC Canada or US is great.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow processes when it comes to project development.

A systematic bank

HSBC Student Trainee (Former Employee)
Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at HSBC Holdings as an intern for less than a year

ProsFamous and lots of experience

ConsNo cons for this company

Healthy office culture, benefits are good, salary and bonus could be better

Procurement/Data Management (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good work vs life balance, it's relatively laid back and due to its sheer size, there are opportunities to move around. Open plan office lay out is great. Gym on 5th floor is used by lots of employees and makes a welcome relief from Canary wharf lunch breaks.

ConsPays less than other tier 1 investment banks

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can be hit and miss, company values promote openness, taking responsibility and being respectable towards others.

Wonderful experience

Relationship Assistant (Former Employee)
Dongguan, Guangdong (China)

I worked at HSBC Holdings as an intern for less than a year

ProsI meet fantastic people there. They are very friendly as well. Thus there is a supportive environment.
I see promotion opportunities as well, especially for the excellent

ConsHave to work over time to get job done

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HSBC Holdings as an intern

ProsGlobal network is extremely helpful. Colleagues always willing to help, frequent feedback opportunities as well as opportunities to do activities outside work eg volunteering.

ConsIt can feel quite bureaucratic sometimes ---but that might be true in any large, international firm such as this. And the role I was in was quite restrictive, so I felt like I was doing the same thing over and over again.

Internship

I have been working at HSBC Holdings

ProsFriendly working environment and staff

Consnot much work to do. have to be proactive to learn

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HSBC Holdings reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for HSBC Holdings CEO Stuart T. Gulliver. All 898 reviews are posted anonymously by HSBC Holdings employees.