HCL Technologies

HCL Technologies Reviews in United States

Updated Jul 28, 2014

HCL Technologies CEO Anant Gupta

Anant Gupta

Pros
  • Provides the work life balance which is a major concern in todays corporate world (in 232 reviews)

• Work environment is more friendly & provides full opportunity to take lead in higher responsibilities (in 206 reviews)

Cons
  • Working timings needs to be streamlined to allow better work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Only company words say "employee first" but no concern on employee whatsoever (in 82 reviews)

More Highlights
388 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent package

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, friendly and challenging projects.

ConsSometimes the people in the team are difficult to work with

Good Company to work

Consultant (Current Employee) Memphis, TN (US)

ProsFlexible and Comfortable environment to work.

ConsLow and less competitive salaries.

Business Manager

Business Manager (Former Employee) Phila, PA (US)

ProsGreat opportunities keep coming and ample chances to prove your self.

ConsComplex policies and processes some time make you lost and leads to missing the first mover advantage.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould not waste an opportunity due to long and complex procedures.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice company to work with.

ProsPlenty of opportunities inside the company

ConsNot a competitive salary otherwise all is good.

Good experience with HCL

Project Manager III (Current Employee)

ProsBIG company and great project lots of opportunities for employes. good work env and flexible working hours

ConsLow Salaries and low appraisal as well , company should reviews salary structure and it should be good competitive in industry

Happy HCLite!!!

Talent Acquisition Group (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ (US)

ProsWorking for HCL that truly cares about the employees is priceless!!! There are other employers for everything else…

ConsBusy work always, but Busy is Good!

Good stable job but takes a long time to get paid properly

IT Manager (Current Employee) Durham, NC (US)

ProsStable job, relaxed environment when they do the Employee First and stick to it, then it can be nice

ConsThey have India take care of everything on the backend, causes issues with not being paid properly and promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease work on making business run more like America

Great for getting your foot in the door; not a company to stay with.

Service Desk Track Lead (Former Employee) Cary, NC (US)

ProsThis place is great for learning straight out of college or getting your foot into the IT field.
    You get the ability to work with huge, big-name companies like Deutsche Bank, Gulfstream, and USAA among others.
    Fantastic level 1 support network. I have yet to see a project where the analysts didn't work as a team and ask each other questions to grow further.
    Best advice I can offer: Work with the people immediately around you. Help each other out and you can grow. Try to be creative and diligent in finding solutions. Not all of them are written down or are straight forward. Be flexible: If you say you have an open schedule, don't be surprised when it comes in to play. Most projects here are 24/7 and require nights and/or weekends.

ConsCompensation: way below average. Raises are minimal at best.
    Office Politics: Desk leads and managers, this will eat you alive. Prepare to take the blame for anything coming down the pipe.
    India controls all: Remember, if a call comes down to you or a manager in Noida, you will always lose.
    Morale and growth: Diminishes at the hands of some college grad with a spreadsheet that stays in HQ (based in Noida). Beware, this company is after their bottom line and will do what it takes to maintain that.
    Lack of accountability: I saw way too many scenarios where the sales team would promise the world to a client but would not be held accountable by the company when it was impossible to deliver. This also fell for the delivery side of the fence where the delivery managers would provide a solution but would fail to lead the effort in following through on said effort.
    Prepare for this place to act like an IT sweatshop.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging. Loosen the grip you have on GEOs and let them improvise and innovate. The attrition rate will continue to be high and morale will continue to destroy these projects if you don't let up a little.
    Managers getting hired were taking anywhere from $20k-$40k/yr cuts to work here.
    At the moment, there is no incentive to be at work. You brag about the billion dollar profits received each year. Try using that to provide a morale boost to your employees every once in a while.

Product manager

Product Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFor my group, management was very hands off. No micromanagement at all. Learned a lot about different technology trends and gained a lot of experience meeting with clients and presenting well.

ConsHcl has a very poor product development capability. There is less focus on product development and too much on sales. They basically expected the team to be able to sell crap by tinkering too much with the truth even by IT industry standards. There is also very little investment in product development. Some products only had 1 to 5 devs! Maybe HCL will eventually develop a competent product development capability but it isn't there right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to put more focus on product development instead of relying too much on a PowerPoint to sell crap. You also need to invest more and hire the engineering talent needed to develop the products.

Good company for gaining marketable skills

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis company has good opportunities for those who are willing to invest time and energy to learn. A lot of different types of work (implementations, application outsourcing, datacenter migrations and management), so lots of options. Networking is key, as is the leader you work for.

ConsDifficult for women in this company. Not a lot of training or ongoing education options in my group. You can get "lost" if you aren't comfortable promoting yourself and your skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick and strategy and stick to it long enough for it to work. Provide better networking and cross promotion opportunities, particularly for those identified as high performers.

Worked for HCL Technologies? Contribute to the Community!