HARMAN

HARMAN Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

HARMAN Chairman, President and CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal

Dinesh C. Paliwal

Pros
  • Flexible schedules creating a good work/life balance(in 12 reviews)

• The company offers good hourly wages; good benefits package; and a clean work environment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, Technical trainnigs rea missing(in 6 reviews)

• Cost cutting is painful and counter-productive as everything has been outsourced(in 6 reviews)

Awesomeness

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Culture is awesome. Really awesome.

ConsNone. The work place is cool calm and collective

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the awesome work

Review of Harman's Automotive Operations

Manager (Current Employee) Farmington Hills, MI (US)

ProsHarman has great brands and latest product technology. A very diverse team of talented people working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment where an entrepreneurial attitude is rewarded.

ConsPaid holidays and health benefits seem to lag the industry. Automotive activities in Farmington Hills are spread out amongst multiple buildings limiting potential efficiencies that are required to support our lean resource structure . Harman has experienced significant growth through M&A's which has grown our revenues but fragmented our organizational structure, systems and processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be careful that our sales growth does not outpace our resource constraints and manufacturing capacity.

Great place

ProsGreat place to work, very flexible and relaxed. Fast paced.

ConsSomewhat disorganized organization structure, stretched thin

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad place, Bad boss, No Hike

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1 in 8 months you get some good work to do that's all good there is rest of 7 months you are only doing Bug Fixing

ConsHarman Pro one of the three business unit of Harman has no money neither for your salary nor for infrastructure which you need for your work.
    Giving a laptop to an employee is like giving you 30% bonus for them what they don't understand that this is a basic requirement. Pro BU's director is from Services company and so is every other team lead. They all still think they are in a services company. They call themselves Product company and then follow Service company culture.
    Work life balance is also not so good.
    Just to give you an idea hike here never goes above 10% for seniors and 15% for fresher. This too only if you are very good at buttering.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire HPro BU's director and his chamchas for a start.
    Recruit some good guys with actual leadership skill .

Was great during Sidney Harman era. Now penny pinching cheap.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWell known brands, experience looks good on resume. Interesting, challenging work.
    Pride in working for company.
    Previously had "Disney-like" culture driven by Sidney Harman's personal vision that the employee was the key to the company success.

ConsIn application for position, biggest concern of company was relocation expenses. Reinforced in every conversation. Entire hiring decision was based on expected pay out of expenses and not best qualified candidate. Sr. Hiring Manager and Randstad outsource HR recruiter appeared pressured if too much/anything was spent on relocation.

Advice to Senior ManagementStamford headquarters is top heavy with unneeded executives.
     Restructure at top in order to hire more middle, day to day management employees who make direct contributions. Sidney Harman's mantra should be re-adapted and reinforced.
    Respond to employees and candidates when contacting HR managers and representatives.
    Company realized after 5 years that Wipro outsource model was deficient.
    Off to a promising start with new consumer contact center back in USA at Northridge CA.

No work life balance, NO Resource planning, over commitment, incompetent leads and managers, leads with bossy attitude

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsGood salary package only during joining
    After that hike will be given only if you are close to manager and say yes to everything he says [ even if he says put that glass over there]

Cons1. No Career path defined, only if you bring this issue they will think of that.
    2. some people [although don't know anything] think tha they know every aspect of automotive domain in this world.
    3. Leads and managers have very bossy attitude and would blame you for everything.
    4. Company does not provide tools, and resources to everyone..you need to beg, borrow and steal..

I really do not have words to describe the work-culture in Harman, people specially managers do not have any professional ethics...only thing they know is "Make it Happen"...how and in what way they don''t know...

Advice to Senior Management1. Learn to be equal to everyone.
    2. Provide opportunity to everyone so that they can prove their potential.
    3. Have some transparency.

Good Company, Great guys, Dedicated Employees

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsWork Life balance, Good Salary

ConsTransparency is missing. Higher management have no communication with employees

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should be transparent enough and open for any type for suggestions. Senior management needs to have more involvement with the employess

Soulless Bloodsucking Corporation

ProsI am not stuck here forever

ConsThe CEO is a sociopath. He says "stay paranoid" in almost every corporate newsletter her sends out and uses fear tactics to motivate employees. I feel like I live inside of a Dilbert cartoon - it truly is that ridiculous. If you are smart and talented please stay away from this company, they will chew you up and spit you out. Harman will not be around in the long term because they only care about short term growth - everything is smoke and mirrors.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou already sold your soul to Satan if you are anything above a Director level - Directors are yes men. Either grow a backbone or get another job. Stop this insane corruption.

Good brand name-not so good for work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsGood starting package for lateral joinees.

ConsIncompetent managers, technical leads. Ruthless CEO and engineering head. People in higher level are more busy in hiring people from their states or the people talking the same language. There are more managers than engineers. No proper planning in project deliveries. People who are personally close to country engineering head get all the benefits, higher positions in the company. Most of the current projects running in India are failures. Most of the lateral joiners are from service companies and play dirty, cheap politics. Most of the work is integration of already existing solutions to some other project. No work life balance. Your work won't get recognized unless you are a boaster and you are good with your manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some capable managers, need good technical architects. Don't hire freshers from IITs and NITs by paying huge packages since they won't stay longer than a year. Give chance to students from local colleges.

Test

ProsTechnical work. In car Infotainement projects

ConsWork life balance, Technical trainnigs rea missing

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance. Should consider all the individuals while taking decisions

Worked for HARMAN? Contribute to the Community!