H&M

H&M Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson

Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • H&M was willing to work with my school schedule and kept it consistent for the most part(in 58 reviews)

• Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • did not enjoy my environment overall and was very sad because I love H&M(in 53 reviews)

• It is a fast paced environment which means long hours on your feet(in 22 reviews)

Good

Department Manager (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsPay is alright for what you do
    great vacation benefits to start off (3 weeks)
    benefits are alright as well

ConsStressful, seems like your babysitting staff sometimes as opposed to managing them
    retail hours can suck as well

Good company Very Fun

ProsGood enough pay lots of benefits

ConsManagers play favourites, many of the sales associates were bossy

Advice to Senior Managementcontrol the sales associates that are bossy it makes the work ucomfortable

H&M becomes your life

(Former Employee)

Pros-You'll get a lot of hours
    - Coworkers are generally fun to work with
    -Pay above minimum wage (just a little)
    -Raises every year

Cons-Call you in early every day or on your days off and make a fuss when you can't drop your life because they've purposefully understaffed.
    -Need complete open availability to move to full time (7 days a week, open to close)
    -On your feet for at least 8 hours a day with very little chance for short breaks to rest your feet. It's even difficult to find coverage for a bathroom break
    -You'll be staying at least an hour after close
    -Customers are rude and frustrated because the store is usually understaffed

Advice to Senior Management-Learn that your employees need a work/life balance. Especially for that little money.
    -Hire more part timers so the store isn't always understaffed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked and underpaid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros- Fast paced store, the day goes by quickly
    - Discount on clothing, first picks at new arrivals
    - Good scheduling
    - Awesome staff members
    - Rotating responsibilities make the work less repetitive

ConsI've worked here for almost 2 years and have yet to be promoted but individuals who have been working with the company for less than 6 months have been promoted (and not due to work ethic).
    Sales advisor's are expected to do way too much for what we are paid. Job is physically and mentally taxing. They rarely promote people to full time but will give full time hours without the benefits.
    Management needs to work on communication and stop the favouritism.
    The company goes crazy cutting hours when they are not hitting targets - leaving staff broke and struggling for hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should promote individuals based on their work ethic and initiative. LISTEN TO STAFF don't just say you will make changes just to appease us - actually follow through with promises.

At first I really liked my job now my mind is definitely changed about that.

Sales Advisor (Current Employee) Burnaby, BC

Pros-Discount on sale items
    -Make great new friends
    -Great clothes

Cons-Hours get cut when store isn't making daily targets
    -Managers expect way too much and never help out.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting hours when you think the store is not making money. When there is a rush of customers and only employee on the floor it is hard to be on cash and provide customer service to others..

Amazing experience working in a great location.

Sales Advisor (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsCurrent trends, great staff, people from all around the world

ConsLow pay, lots of duties, not good communication with management

Horrible

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThis is great career if your unambitious, lazy or not planning on going on anywhere in life. Aside from that, it's good part time job for people in school as they are flexible with hours/scheduling once you've been there long enough. They also don't fire you unless you've been caught stealing, you can be late, be rude to management/customers , not show, take longer breaks, not follow dress code ect and they'll write you up but won't fire you because "they believe in people".

ConsWithin the past four years the quality of management on all levels, store, area and country, has significantly decreased therefore the overall work environment has become difficult to bare. They expect you to over work yourself with little compensation. There is no set wage guidelines so you have people who have just started making more than people who have been there for several years with more responsibility. Also everybody in the area management for Ontario are under qualified and have no post-secondary education, they all got there by working for the company when it opened in Canada and worked their way up and won't let go of the jobs they have (i don't blame them, i would too if all i had was a high school diploma).

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop promoting people who you are sleeping with as they are not fit to do the jobs they're being promoted to.

Some like HMV, Some like H&M

Part Time Sales Advisor (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

Pros-cool peeps/co-wreckers
    -decent discount
    -constantly busy
    -h&m memes

ConsDifficult customers with crying babies

Advice to Senior ManagementMore group meetings and/or better notes to keep the part-timers in the loop of things

Dynamic work environment, great atmosphere.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Pickering, ON

ProsThe people, culture and PRICES. H&M definitely works to seek out a certain profile in their employees, lots of diversity and interesting characters.

ConsPersonalities of certain managers (like anywhere) can sometimes be lacking. More oversight of store management would ensure that staff are not being bullied by power hungry GMs.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in more often with the employees of store locations to ensure they are satisfied with management/the way they are being managed.

I worked there for six years and had no opportunity for advancement.

Part Time Sales Advisor (Former Employee) London, ON

Pros-Fun, fast paced environment, always something to do.
    -Sales targets are on a store basis, not on an individual basis
    -No huge pressure to sell the clothing.

Cons-It can be very disorganized, especially if you work at a store that is under-performing because head office cuts hours so badly that nothing gets done and creates a viscous circle.
    - Unless you live in a big city, there is little room for advancement.
    - Only full-time gets benefits and most stores only have maybe four full time people and fifteen part time people.

Advice to Senior ManagementCutting hours for employees until the store is at a bare minimum is not the way to make the business succeed--if we can't even get the product off the truck, how are we supposed to make any sales targets?

Worked for H&M? Contribute to the Community!