H&M

Updated 16 December, 2014
3.4

H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson
Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • H&M is very flexible and only really requires you to have your weekends open (in 68 reviews)

• Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • You get bored of it when you've learned everything there is to know about H&M (in 62 reviews)

• Its retail, work life balance is okay, flexibility for vacation is quite good though (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

It is a fun exciting workplace

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is friendly team, and flexible hours

Cons

It takes a very long time grow in the compnay

be understanding of employees' needs

Easiest job if you can land it.

I have been working at H&M part-time (more than an year)

Pros

training was thorough, flexible schedule, nice co-workers, tasks become second nature. Becomes a fun job once you've been there for a while. You make a lot of new friends too, especially in certain departments.

Cons

You get bored of it when you've learned everything there is to know about H&M. Also, growing with the company doesn't happen unless new stores open. There wasn't much I didn't like about the job.

A nice place for retail, but then there are favourites

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Montreal, QC

I have been working at H&M part-time (more than an year)

Pros

All I can say is that the employee rebate is just all so great. H&M is a challenging workplace, with a lot of pressure when traffic flow is high, and with a lot of expectations. You have to be fast, ready to do anything, to learn anything, and accomplish what you think is impossible (or nearly): so this is challenging.

Cons

For all I can say, maybe was it at the retail store where I was working, but staffing problems, and work hours were an issue. We were never enough staff on our floor and the result at every close would be disastrous. The mood wasn't positive nearly all the time, and our schedules were a mess. No one expected to get even a third of the shifts we would in winter. Cutting is common. Work hours are bad. And there are favourites to top it off.
    I worked here for some time over a year, and left.

No favourites? (impossible)
    Staff enough on all floors
    Give a minimum of hours
    Stop cutting at the last minute

Devil Wears Prada - but minimum wage.

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Advisor in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Advisor in Toronto, ON

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

H&M is without a doubt, a leader in the retail industry. Clocking in billions of dollars (BILLIONS) and securing second biggest retailer in the world...it's safe to say that it's impressive. There is a family oriented vibe that is hard to shake once you mesh with staff and management and that honestly is what has kept me for over the past five years. Unfortunately that vibe doesn't make its way past your Store Manager to your head office HR people or your Country/Area teams.

Cons

I know working in the "fashion industry" comes with it's characters and attitudes. But when you're working a minimum wage job and getting Devil Wears Prada esque personalities from your head offices, with ridiculous and relentless inabilities to make a SET desicion on how something should be done...it's exhausting and debilitating and takes away from the enjoyable aspects of working with staff and management on a store level that you actually enjoy. Our Area Sales Team for what it's worth...is disappointing. People have been appointed their positions based on favoritism and cliquey friendships. All in all it's comical to watch from a "lower level" standpoint and the people who don't get paid enough to bend over backwards for these people make me reconsider my position on moving upward in the company.

Though HIGHLY discouraged from speaking about it, it's a known fact that newer employees are paid more, and when the discussion of higher pay for employees who have long good standing with the company, we are brushed off and almost made to feel GUILTY for bringing it up in confidence (particularly full time staff who usually have a 3-5 year staying rate and have been promised growth with the company anyways). Disappointing when employees are welcomed to flex the open door policy. More like only talk when we want you to please and thanks.

I don't really have anything to put here because I feel there is a particular triangle scheme that effects everyone, and the manager mentality is a foreshadowing effect brought down from higher up. For all the investing this company does in trying to make a different approach in hiring, training, selling etc, it really needs to focus on what your newer staff and full time staff are feeling without making us feel like kindergarten kids who don't know what's going on. If you want elite management and people with entreprenurial initiative, show that you know how to treat your management that are running your stores, and that there is a healthy communication and atmosphere there FIRST. What sells motivation is something to look forward too. Unhealthy mentality and relationships maintained with your managers trickles down to the lower staff whether you want it to or not and that reflects on your turn over rates. Don't make it up to the staff to change turn over (we don't get paid enough for that thanks very much). We need the company to initiate the atmosphere that makes people stay. Not the other way around.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor

I have been working at H&M part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to work with a diverse team of fun and outgoing individuals. Every employee is trained to perform all functions throughout the store and is given a lot of autonomy in deciding how to perform tasks. The environment is fast-paced and will never leave you bored at work. Generally flexible with availability, allowing you to book time off when needed.

Cons

The store gets messy quickly due to the large number of customers, especially on weekends and holidays. This can leave you cleaning up the store for a few hours after close

Great people, decent discount, underpaid.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Toronto, ON

I worked at H&M part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at multiple locations, there was a consistent level of awesomeness found in each team. The people you work with on a day to day basis really made the job enjoyable.

Cons

Not much room for growth (empty promises). Long closes. Management prefers to be in the back rather than supporting the selling floor.

Remember, "We Are One Team". I feel as though that is often overlooked.

Educational

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Toronto, ON

I worked at H&M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff - work life balance

Cons

Growth opportunity is very tight. Seniority goes over experience

We need to grow the company more ladderal

Fun place to work!

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Toronto, ON

I worked at H&M part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-fun work environment
    -flexible with your schedule
    -great co-workers and management
    -great part time job while in school

Cons

-difficulty getting a full time position or to grow with the company
    -low wages

Cool people, crappy hours.

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor

I worked at H&M part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Met alot of really cool and fashion forward people.
    Management were always on top of things and in my short time i've seen many people move up the ladder.
    Decent discount

Cons

Although management were on top of things at the store level, upper management often pulls one manager from one store to bring them to another. My particular location had its store manager and assistant manager pulled from our store to be sent to another store during the Christmas season.
    Also, hours are not very good. I worked average 6 hours a week and had a pretty open schedule.

cashier

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at H&M part-time (less than an year)

Pros

at h&m you get the opportunity to meet so many people and engage with a number of customers on a daily basis. work team opperations are always great.

Cons

didnt like the way management handeled new comers. we obviously are just learning and theres no need to talk down to certain individuals... in my case there was a girl with a disability and the management would flight out leave her out then get mad at her for doing certain things.... very petty, rude, and inconsiderate