H E B Reviews

Updated 29 September, 2014
4.0

H E B Chairman and CEO Charles C. Butt
Charles C. Butt

Pros
  • Flexible schedule; department heads work with your school schedule (in 49 reviews)

• Great benefits and excellent opportunity to advance for those who want it (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Random schedules make it hard to have a work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• I was hired as a part time employee but always get full time hours (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for!

I have been working at H E B

Pros

Friendly environment feels like home. Everyone works as a team and the company holds high moral standards for themselves and the employees. Felxable with hours and really goes out of thier way to help out employes.

Cons

Growing with the company is hard because thier is so much competition and thier is so many other people in line waiting to do the same thing.

Upper management Is great.

H-E-B is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Cashier  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at H E B part-time for more than a year

Pros

I was a bagger when I started and quickly became a cashier. There is definitely room for advancement if you put effort in. Management is really flexible with asking off for work as long as you give them notice. That is an advantage of working for a large company like H-E-B.

Cons

The summer heat definitely feels a lot worse when the sun is beating down on you in the parking lot pushing baskets.

Bagging is not the most exciting thing to do repetitively, but it does make one want to get a promotion--good incentive!

Great company

Former Employee - Central Checkout Operations Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Central Checkout Operations Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at H E B full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company values and culture. Potential growth for right candidates with outgoing, can do attitude.

Cons

Limited work life balance. Weekends and holidays are busiest times so. Your experience will depend directly on a particular store's director. Bad director can make the job a nightmare.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at H E B part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Starting pay is okay but raises are given especially when you transfer to another department. Flexible schedule and great managers who work with you

Cons

Sometimes wish the discount applied to all products

Cashier

Former Employee - HEB Cashier  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - HEB Cashier in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at H E B part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, good with school, decent pay. Was close to college and home. Sometimes got free food.

Cons

Very boring and unrewarding work. Bent over backwards to provide excellent customer service to undeserving customers. No room to advance.

Promote cashiers to ASMs quicker and ASMs to managers in quicker than ten years.

Great company!

Former Employee - Bakery Assistant Manager  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Bakery Assistant Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at H E B full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good opportunities for growth. No limits to what you can do with this company.
    Largest employer that provides careers in retail, manufacturing, production, and corporate.

Cons

Difficult to obtain full time if hired for part time in some stores.

Great Benefits

I worked at H E B full-time

Pros

Excellent company
    Great Perks
    Great culture
    Community Involvement
    Incredible research resources

Cons

they can improve on operations
    Politics get in the way

Depends on the week

Current Employee - Assistant Service Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at H E B part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive pay, flexible schedules for the most part. Great part-time and full-time benefits and partner incentitives. 10% off own brand savings plus monthly deals such as free items or extra discounts. Room to advance depending on management!

Cons

Part time doesn"t always get good hours, a lot of 4 hour shifts. Upper management is not always the best and tends to change a lot.

Great company to work for, competitive pay to start, but lower jobs (checking or bagging) tiring and annoying

Current Employee - Checker  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Checker in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at H E B part-time

Pros

Starting pay is good, schedules very flexible especially for students, very friendly and smart management (mostly). Management is always willing to "get their hands dirty", for example, those in high positions will still bag groceries or clean up spills, etc., without hesitation.

Cons

At high-volume stores, the stress can be extreme. Checking is exhausting, but I think working in a department is less so. They very much value going above and beyond and pleasing the customer however possible, but sometimes you end up in trouble for doing so.

Clearer policies about how far to go to please the customer without getting a lecture about shrink or invalid coupons weeks later.

Here Everything is Definitely Better haha

I have been working at H E B

Pros

Everything. Your coworkers become your family, in a way. You have opportunities to grow by working in other departments. You get volunteer opportunities. I even got a scholarship from HEB because I worked there for a long enough time and my managers believed in my education.

Cons

I guess a challenge would be the customers, but that doesn't really reflect on the company.

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!