Guitar Center

Updated 26 November, 2014
2.9

Darrell Webb
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great discounts on gear, awesome connections to be made, and a new focus on the employee (in 33 reviews)

• Above all, the employee discount; especially when you can start getting things off of GAIN (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • It's minimum wage DRAWED against your commission(Fading) (in 29 reviews)

• Very high turnover rate for salesmen and constant micro-managing by upper management (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

If it paid enough, it would be great

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA (US)

I have been working at Guitar Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool environment, great discounts, fun customers

Cons

not enough commission to pay for a sales pro, Petty issues get blown up. tenured associates try to run over the new ones, high turnover rates, lots of management turnover.

Share more of the pie with the guys that do the work on the sales floor. We will repay with loyalty and better work!

Temporary Fun

Current Employee - Studio Associate in Pasadena, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Studio Associate in Pasadena, TX (US)

I have been working at Guitar Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love music. This job is great for networking and building communication and sales skills.

Cons

Some of the challenges depend on your location, also are the changes in music. Gone are the days where you would buy instruments and spend hours learning how to play. Now you just cut and paste loops from software.

Aggressively scale back

Lots of organizational changes

Current Employee - Finance in Westlake Village, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Finance in Westlake Village, CA (US)

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very relaxed environment, with great "music industry" vibe.

Cons

Many organizational changes. Not much opportunity to move up.

Keep the turnover rate lower.

Sales manger

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very cool place to work

Cons

Horrible health care is bad

Help out more

Advancement

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed casual work environment. Discounts on gear. Good benefits with retirement plan. Great place to work for musicians

Cons

Pay is barely above minimum wage and commissions structure is very hard to attain except for one or two salesmen in each store

Reword long time employees with higher pay and greater chance of advancement

A Great Company!

I worked at Guitar Center

Pros

Integrity and a People-Driven Environment

Cons

Long hours in Retail positions, like any retailer.

Guitar Center Instructor Review

Current Employee - Instructor in Midlothian, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Midlothian, VA (US)

I have been working at Guitar Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, emphasis on music education, curriculum and materials provided.

Cons

Compensation varies depending on if student shows up or not. Guitar Center gets paid up front for each month. Therefore instructors should be paid the same amount no matter if they have a student or not. If a student cancels that day, the instructor still took the time to be there and should be compensated appropriately.

Organization at the studio front desk is very important.

Cool side job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Guitar Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work with other musicians and make some great contacts

Cons

Really bad pay, management, structure, hours, etc

If you want to treat employees like professional salespeople then pay and schedule accordingly

Studio Associate

Former Employee - Studio Associate
    Former Employee - Studio Associate

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This was such a fun place to work! The studios are so exciting since they are kinda new. You see the same group of people each week for their lessons so you have a chance to build a professional relationship with them. I learned a lot about music theory. I used to get free lessons from the teachers sometimes.

Cons

Working holidays is no fun but every retail job is like that. I didn't like how 99.9% of my co-workers were guys, I was one of two girls at my location.

HIRE MORE GIRLS. Also, it's really unfair that teachers are not paid when students don't show up. It's not very ethical since Guitar Center just pockets that money.

What a joke!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back culture. Being a part of the music industry. Discount on gear. Good parking, close to lots of stores and restaurants and the freeway.

Cons

There is NO accountability or performance requirements. Management is not responsive to employee needs. If there is a problem the stakeholders are never available or on vacation. Lots of time wasted putting out fires. No enforcement of policies. NO training what so ever. A lot of wasted time pointing fingers and passing the buck. Reactive attitude vs proactive. So many lazy careless unqualified employees who get promoted and disappear for hours or call in sick twice a week while the hard workers are tasked with more. VERY low pay for the demands of the job or whatever job you have. There are no rewards for hard work. My boss told me not to work as hard, 110% to 80%. ?! "Promotions" are made up titles on a whim to those in the boys club. HR is a joke and blows you off if you have an issue. Lots of unprofessional conversations, jokes and comments. No room for advancement, no pay raises. Lots of people talking behind peoples backs. The health/dental benefits are terrible. No 401k. Very immature workforce like your'e in 8th grade. A lot of stressed out employees or people who used to be good employees but just quit giving a damn because nobody else does. Everything is done with minimum effort. Nobody reads their email or stays ahead of their work to make deadlines. Understaffed. Company events and they can't even operate their own sound or video system, for a music company..umm ok. Procedures/protocols are all very gray, only apply when it's convenient. Lots of time spent trying to cover your back so others don't throw you under the bus. Run down office environment and outdated computers, messy bathrooms and dark building, the lights are kept turned off all day like vampires. Felt like a start-up like the company opened its doors yesterday and I kept getting told this was the improved version, for a company that is 30 years old. VERY high turn over, very low morale. A mecca for drunks and stoners. The CEO has just changed AGAIN, that's twice in under 3 years, new executives and VP's every other week. The company is over 1 billion dollars in debt and keep opening stores. Manufacturer's are not getting paid. If you're going to have a company event, turn on the air conditioning and have enough chairs for everyone. There is a more I could put here but I think you get the point. Do not work here if you are looking fr a permanent career or have an education or any dignity or pride in your work if you can help it. If you do do, buy some gear, start looking for your next job and think of it as just a short stepping stone. They will probably will be bankrupt or the very least have massive layoffs and just keep repeating the cycle they're with the way it's operating until they go bust.

Clean house BIG time. Hire a consulting company, you're hanging by a thread. Compensate with fair market value. Better benefits. Implement employee reviews and reward hard work. Start being a market leader vs. a follower.

Guitar Center Photos