Grimco Reviews

1. A decent first job

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Grimco

Pros

A great, close-knit company where you feel like you know everyone within the company because it is still relatively small and you talk to so many people on the phone. The hours are strictly 8-5, M-F with the typical paid holidays. Health benefits are EXCELLENT. The company culture is great.

Cons

The job itself is pretty monotonous. There is a lot of pressure to earn new business when quite simply, it isn't always there. You are often calling the same people over and over again.

Advice to Management

Recognize that profit isn't the ONLY measure of an employee's success.

2. Great place to work

I have been working at Grimco

Pros

Small Team
    Great Place to develop entrepreneurial skills
    Freedom and ability to market how you want
    Great people to work with

Cons

Start you off at low pay
    Goals are sometimes unattainable

Advice to Management

Pay more to new candidates and you might get a better pool of candidates to choose from

3. Customer Development Representative

Former Employee - Customer Development Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I worked at Grimco full-time

Pros

Opportunity for growth
    Grimco will reward you- you get out what you put in
    Good work-life balance for being in sales
    Company cares about customers and being the best in the industry

Cons

Not a sales position were you sit back and relax-have to be high energy
    Be prepared to be busy and on the phones a big portion of your day-lots of incoming call and still make time to prospect

Advice to Management

Slow down-At times I felt like things were growing to quick and the company and management could not keep up.

Very focused on profits, not people.

I worked at Grimco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management training program allows for increasing responsibility, however the pay and benefits do not match the amount of energy and responsibility that they ask of you.

Cons

You can be very secure (financially and organizationally) at Grimco but it takes about 6-8 years to get there. Until then they will treat you and pay you like college interns. They expect that all staff work through lunch, and shame those that don't. They offer ridiculously low PTO (5 days first year, 10 days after that) and this includes your sick time. I was very good at this job and did not feel appreciated until I gave my notice and was asked to stay.

6. Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Grimco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Grimco for over 4 years. They are committed to being the best in the industry. There is plenty of growth happening and opportunities to show what you can do. My manager is very approachable, open to new ideas, and committed to the branches employee's success.

Cons

I've worked for Grimco for over 4 years, and there have been some times of change that were uncomfortable, I honestly can't think of anything negative that is worth warning about.

7. Warehouse Associate

I worked at Grimco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Warehouse position with Grimco. I worked in the warehouse for 3 years. A typical day at the warehouse was hot and hard working. Didn't really learn anything everything was common sense. The management was good the co-workers were good to. Because its constant work non-stop you have to be ready to go and work fast.

Cons

Some days things would get hectic and become to much. I would say bring in more temp workers when the busy season starts.

Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Grimco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance. Good culture and work environment nice people and good salary. Any inside/outside sales position is going to be difficult and require a lot to be put into the job for someone to be successful. Grimco is a company that has given me the opportunity to prove myself coming right out of college. I have been given a lot of responsibility and even overwhelmed at times but overall my experience has been good.

Cons

Always responsible for customer experience even on things you can't control.

9. Employee

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Grimco

Pros

First couple of years it is great.

Cons

They are more concerned about their impression to the public. They are very discriminating with older employees and gender.

Not Great

Former Employee - Customer Development Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Development Representative

I worked at Grimco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

9 to 5 hours (sometimes)

Cons

Overworked and under appreciated. Company hires you under the guise of "Customer Service" then forces you to meet unrealistic sales quotas.

Advice to Management

Be honest and upfront about what you are to new hires. Review your business practices. There is a reason you all are so hated by many former clients

Poor company structure

Former Employee - Customer Development Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Development Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Grimco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a good reliable M-F job. Benefits are good and they give you paid holidays. This company is good for recent college graduates looking for something entry level, but not a suit for true professionals who have worked in corporate jobs before and are looking for the structure you'd expect from a company so large. There is room for growth - if you are willing to move.

Cons

Management is very buddy buddy and if you aren't one of the 'favorites' you are quickly forgotten. The favorites are promoted even if they aren't the most qualified, given bonuses, brought out to corporate, wined and dined, taken to sporting events, the rest of the managers are barely addressed, even if your branch is exceeding goals and making the company a lot of money. If you aren't willing to fully commit your whole life to them (work 7-6 with no lunch, etc) they don't consider you a 'team player'. I actually had one manager tell me that they look down on people who take their full lunch hour and don't just eat quickly at their desk. Local managers are also very quick to take credit for their reps hard work to make themselves look better to corporate.

Salary is not market competitive and 'raises' are more like cost of living increases. Each year I received five star reviews and not given any areas that needed improvement, yet was only given a $1000 pay increase.

No business is kept personal. If you share anything with a manager or a member of HR, expect it to be shared with everyone in the company. They also put out false reviews on sites like Glassdoor, and they will email out poor reviews posted to managers to try to identity who they thought could have written it.

Advice to Management

Act like the large corporation you are. Stop the insanely inappropriate grade school like actions of your managers. Research competitive salaries for sales jobs in the local areas and be competitive. Give obtainable bonus goals instead of ones so high you know you will never have to pay out. Treat the people making you a lot of money well.