Grimco Reviews

Updated 3 August, 2014
Updated 3 August, 2014

3.4

Bob Hummert

Huge company growth, big potential/opportunity for self motivated individuals

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Grimco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1) Growth-company is extremely aggressive in opening new business centers, buying competitors, expanding internationally. The work environments are fun if you share the passion to be a part of that.
    2) Opportunity-with success comes as much responsibility as you are willing to take on. The company is begging for people who want to drive their own success. Some take it upon themselves to surpass goals and end up with the biggest opportunities. The most aggressive salespeople can climb ranks quickly into management positions.
    3) Flexibility-the company gives newer staff decision making capabilities very quickly. This allows new hires to get great experience early on that most companies would protect with red tape or a title.
    4) Benefits/Compensation-long term, successful, loyal employees are rewarded through compensation but just as important, a great 401k with company paid contribution annually.
    5) Work-life balance-this is a great part of Grimco. You are expected to work harder than everybody else Monday-Friday, but working 12-14 hour days and weekends is not necessary or effective at Grimco.
    6) Upper management will take any call from anybody in the company when available(and they almost always are when you call), including the owner.

Cons

No company is perfect, especially one that is expanding as rapidly. But here are some thoughts:

1) Flat structure-because the company is lean at the middle and top and doesn't create a lot of unnecessary positions in upper management, it creates less opportunity for younger employees to visualize their succession into upper management.
    2) Organization-growing exponentially year over year makes almost every decision short term. There is little long term planning and for some people, they don't like the ever-constant change and prefer stability.
    3) Some branches end up "sink or swim" with new employees due to unexpected turnover(which all companies face), and although it is great experience for a new employee to have to run a branch and drive sales, it can be overwhelming for some and lack direction and positive reinforcement. Some new employees want somebody holding their hand the whole time, Grimco isn't like that.
    4) Review process is formal but typically isn't thorough enough. Employees need to keep in contact with their manager to ensure they are fulfilling expectations to really know their status. Some employees feel they are exceling and are shocked to hear they are not.

Keep the family feel as the company continues to grow, but become more formal throughout the company. The small feel of the company will create loyal employees but there needs to be less "drama" surrounding personnel and operations.

The aggressive mind state to take market share everyday is exciting to work for. I hope the company continues to bring this thought process throughout my tenure and can motivate new employees to buy into it long term.

Overall this company genuinely cares about its employees, the customers, and is on an exciting path towards owning the industry they play in. New hires couldn't have more long term opportunities if they bring the right personality and drive.

Add as much talent as possible, and quickly! Being aggressive can limit us long term without more great employees.

CDR

Current Employee - CDR  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - CDR in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Grimco full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you take care of Grimco, they will most definitely take care of you. This is my first job out of college, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in sales, or to someone who knows they want to be in a business setting, but aren't quite sure of what they want from it. You're given so many opportunities to grow the company and work from every angle of the business. There's always a new opportunity - you just have to want it. Aside from just the company as a whole, the people I get to work with everyday are amazing. It's a very positive, fun, and exciting environment.

Cons

With great power comes great responsibility. As previously mentioned, you're presented with so many amazing opportunities and clients, that it does get difficult to juggle. It has definitely taught me to prioritize. It's a constant, growing, changing company, so there's always something new to tackle. There are times that it's tough to get it all done because our sales focus changes so frequently.

n/a... Another beautiful thing about Grimco? You're able to shoot suggestions over to them anytime you want. I feel comfortable enough with my company that I've given them all the suggestions I have. There's no need to give "advice" on a reviews website... I just pick up the phone / shoot an email with my inquiry, and we have an actual conversation about it.

Hard Work Equals Endless Opportunity

I have been working at Grimco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Grimco is the kind of company that rewards hard work in a big way. If you want a company that is going to give you endless opportunities for career growth, Grimco is the place. The company promotes from within so you have every opportunity to work hard and prove yourself and build a long career with the company. It is a fast paced sales environment with great pay, incentives, and great people around you and across the entire company.

You have the ability to build your own path in a company that is growing larger by the day. More opportunities create themselves in every aspect of the business as the company grows and it builds a career and not just a job for everyone that is willing to put in the hard work and dedication. I myself have seen the company grow and change over the years, and couldn't be happier to continue to be a part of it.

Cons

There are not many cons I can think of. The company continues to be a great place to work and gives everyone all the opportunity in the world.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work pays off

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Quakertown, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Quakertown, PA (US)

I have been working at Grimco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I had the opportunity to grow and become part of decision making and process understanding quickly. I am being given the ability to make my own future in Grimco. I have worked hard to develop new sales and grow my client sales for 5 years and have been rewarded with raises each year, along with trust to teach others how I have done my work. New branches open and new opportunities are presented every year in Grimco. Work hard, show the desire to become a member of the branch, not just an employee, and Grimco will see your influence. Be vocal, show results and you can enjoy a career with this company. Grimco requires dedication to the processes and maximum efforts. It is very rewarding and is a career opportunity, but will not be enjoyable if the desire to become part of Grimco is not with you. I remember meeting the Vice Presidents, Bob Hummert and John Burkemper in training and instantly thought to myself, "I want to work for these guys. I want to be part of this".....seeing the company growth and being able to literally see my influence clearly in the branch's numbers is self rewarding daily

Cons

If you are just looking for a "job" Grimco is not for you. These are careers and opportunitiy driven positions

Continue to share experiences and growth results. The Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Regional Managers and Branch Managers are all open for conversation and questions. Continue to work as a team, promote from within like you are now and develop new leaders in every branch monthly and yearly.

Company full of opportunity

Current Employee - Sales Management  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Management in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Grimco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Personal growth is by far the key highlight to this company. It is a "Good to Great" kind of company. Very forward thinking, always looking toward its good people to improve, always evolving to stay ahead of the industry. What impresses me most is how many decisions are made to invest in our people and internal systems to help ensure our stability and success for decades to come.

Every opportunity to grow within the company is mine to grab. It's a very goal-driven company. I am always asked what my personal goals are, what I hope to do some day, and what the company can do to help support my goals. And more importantly, we then set plans to help make those things happen.

I definitely think that the company is family-oriented, reminding its good people that family is first....I have countless stories to support this truth. I have always had opportunities to take charge and try new things if I want. I feel well compensated. I've compared Grimco to many other companies, and few other companies offer the growth path both in responsibility and income potential that I've seen at Grimco.

Cons

Perhaps I've been with the company too long, but I cannot think of any cons. Any possible con I might consider has an overwhelming pro to wipe it out.
    If you can call it a "con", I'd say that constant change is a guarantee here. At all levels, we are challenged to get stronger, adjust to market conditions/competition, and not just trot down the same path every time. If constant activity and routine change (I call it "opportunities to do more") are not your cup of tea, it can be difficult for that type of person to adapt. But if you want to be successful and learn how a great business is run, then there isn't a better place for that. A strong, stable company is hard to find these days, but I truly believe that this is one of them.

Keep striving to get better and find great future employees to be our leaders. The key to my success doesn't just lie in my hands, it lies in the hands of our future employees.

Terrible Place to Work

I have been working at Grimco full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are new out of school and want to get into sales. It is an okay job.

Cons

If you are smart and have any experience this is not the job for you. Must be a lemming!! Must like being controlled and micromanaged and must like not getting commission or bonuses.

Don't try to be Walmart.

If you want to learn a lot about how to run a successful business and be a leader, this is the place for you!

I have been working at Grimco full-time

Pros

Employees at Grimco are energetic and passionate about what they are doing. There has been a lot of growth over the past few years which has given people new a lot of new opportunities and there is more growth to come. The possibilities for what you can do within Grimco are endless as long as you are hard-working and prove yourself. The executives and top management truly have an open door policy and are willing to teach you about the business beyond your job responsibilities - all you have to do is ask! If you want to have the chance to make an impact on a solid, growing company take a look at Grimco. They put a lot of trust in their employees - sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't but the fact that the opportunities are given is huge, especially in today's world.

Cons

Due to the rapid growth they have experienced and the large number of employees that they have hired on, training is lacking. Developing a training program that gives employees resources beyond their first two weeks with Grimco will be essential if they want to have an educated and successful staff.

Commit resources to ongoing training and keep the open dialogue between executives, managers, and employees open. Don't lose the good aspects that you had a small business as you continue to grow larger (try to not become too corporate),

Successful, fast-paced, caring company!

I have been working at Grimco

Pros

They really do treat you like family, but also push you to be the best you can be. As long as you do your best, there are a variety of opportunities for you. Management is great to work for and they trust and believe in your decisions. They want to see you succeed. I feel Grimco is the perfect company to work for if you are driven and hard-working and want to be rewarded for those qualities. It is very fun and exciting environment to work in on a daily basis. Plus you have the ability to build a solid, stable career. The health and 401k benefits are out of this world.

Cons

Not much negative to say here. They do try to learn from past issues/mistakes. Its an ever-evolving company that grew really rapidly so perhaps more focus on training and development of current managers.

I love that there is a core group of people at the top that are honest, hard-working, and kind-hearted. This provides such a rewarding environment. Keep up the great work!

Grimco provides great opportunities

I have been working at Grimco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Grimco is the first job I've worked at that truly does provide advancement opportunities based on your results rather than your seniority with the company. It is extremely fast paced and challenging. If you are a hard worker and looking for a company to make your own mark, this company is it. I came to Grimco a few years removed from college so I did not have a ton of business experience, but Grimco gave me the opportunity to learn and improve my sales skills without being micro-managed. Through hard work and dedication to growing the business, I was able to contribute to my branch's success of hitting goals. It is definitely not easy, but the company really does promote based on merit vs. just putting in your time, which was huge for me being a young professional. They provide a career opportunity and not just a job!

Cons

There is a very large product offering that can be a lot to learn and the pace of the job is very fast. You have to be able to multi-task because each location is made up of small teams so the importance of each team member performing is critical to a location's success.

A growing company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Grimco full-time for less than a year

Pros

Grimco is a great company to be a part of if you want to learn a lot and grow. Responsibility is given out very early and they give you a chance to stand out. What I love is the opportunity to make a difference and contribute in a real way. I know that my suggestions are taken seriously and my ideas are being put to action. The hours are good and managers are very flexible with schedule. Executive management is very friendly and the doors are always open.

Cons

The PTO policy could be better. The amount of PTO given should be more competitive with the market. Because Grimco is growing so rapidly, their policies/procedures/programs could use an update to keep up with the amount of employees. Some processes are too time-consuming and don't make sense for a larger volume.

Keep yourself involved on the employee level. It will be easy to lose that as Grimco grows and its important that employees know you care about their success.

Worked for Grimco? Contribute to the Community!