Great Southern Bancorp

Great Southern Bancorp Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great Southern Bancorp President, CEO, and Director, Great Southern Bancorp and Great Southern Bank Joe Turner

Joe Turner

Generally a good place to work

Ops Center Employee (Current Employee) Springfield, MO (US)

ProsThe benefits are good. Most of the people are professional yet friendly. The company is growing by making wise business decisions as it acquires other banks. We just acquired a series of banks in Iowa and Illinois. GSB is growing!

ConsIt appears that executive management has created a level of associate vice presidents (AVPs) to play hard ball against the lower level employees. The AVPs are often rude and disrespectful toward their subordinates. This may be by design or because the AVPs are over-worked. I'll allow for that. Either way, it makes for a very poor work environment and poor decision-making by management. There's very little room to move upward too.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the AVPs treat their employees with respect and if needed, give the AVPs a break by creating another level under them for upward mobility and decision-making.

Great Experience, Clueless Management

Teller (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsGood base pay, great supervisor & coworkers, awesome schedule, looks nice on a resume

ConsClueless management doesn't understand the cultural differences between states & has flip-flopping rules and procedures (extremely tedious!!)

Advice to Senior ManagementMake corporate up of people NOT JUST FROM MISSOURI. And for goodness sake hire an efficiency expert.., you'd save tons of time, money, and complaints.

Caring company, great benefits, overall a fantastic place to work.

Teller (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsGREAT benefits for full time and part time employees, included paid time off, 401k, insurance and product discounts within the company. Excellent training staff with an at your own pace concept. Smaller company mindset, made it feel more personal.

ConsPromotions are few and far between unless someone above you leaves, and with only 4-5 employees at smaller branches, it's unlikely. Pay isn't the greatest, it's better suited for a student or someone with a second household income.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to keep employees, think about giving small raises based on performance. It's discouraging to those who are advancing with training and taking on more responsibilities/job duties but are receiving nothing in return. As far as leadership and office culture, I wouldn't change a thing. I absolutely LOVED working with this company and would come back in a heartbeat if the pay were better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Everyday is a new adventure, meeting new people with new experiences.

Personal Banker (Current Employee) Springfield, MO (US)

ProsGreat company to work for, the people are amazing and everyone is like a family. The hours are also so of best I have ever seen for a bank.

ConsThe only real downfall to this job is the amount of money you make. They could afford to pay their employees more for how good of customer service they provide.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more pay to employees, other than that, the company is perfect.

Good upper management but the BC managers are out of control

ProsPretty good benefits, a lot of involvement in the community

ConsLow pay. Upper management does not have any clue what is going on in the banking centers. A lot of favoritism

Bank Teller

Bank Teller (Former Employee) Joplin, MO (US)

ProsGood place to gain experience as a teller if you don't have previous customer service or finance experience

ConsLower than average wages, tellers are kept on extremely tight leash as you're not even allowed to work on programs like word and excel

Advice to Senior ManagementGood giving employees incentives like competitions for referrals, but need to give tellers better access to modern technology like Microsoft Office

Happy Camper

ProsGrowth opportunity, supportive and progressive atmosphere.

ConsNew to the MN market and may take a while to adapt.

Job was good, pay was bad.

Item Processing Clerk (Current Employee) Springfield, MO (US)

ProsThe interviewing process was good and very easy. The department I worked in consisted of about 15 or more co-workers. The co-workers were all nice. The manager and supervisor were very nice and understanding of scheduling restraints; they had no problem working around your schedule. The atmosphere was positive. The training was not too intensive and they start you at a good pace to learn everything.

ConsThere were not many cons in my department. The major, and changing factor, was the pay. The pay was very low compared nationally and locally.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more.

I am overall satisfied with my experience thus far with Great Southern Bank

Teller (Current Employee) Springfield, MO (US)

Prosgood place for internal growth, management and staff provide workers with adequate information and knowledge to succeed at job duties

Conswork a lot of hours, pay isn't very fair due to job responsibilities and work load

Satisfied for a college part time position

Bank Teller (Former Employee) Springfield, MO (US)

ProsVery flexible on work schedule, very knowledgeable information you can use somewhere else

ConsManagement arent reallty doing there jobs depending on the branch you work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more focus on you employees

Worked for Great Southern Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!