Google

4.2 2,326 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,241 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights
2,326 Employee Reviews

Awesome place to work

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Taipei (Taiwan)

ProsThe opportunity to work at Google would make people envy of you. And you get a lot of benefits there: free snacks, great view of Taipei city, flexible work hours. The tools and documents are well-established and you can get to real work smoothly. The pay is also pretty high. The people there are nice and very skillful, and most importantly, they enjoy their work.

ConsBecause there are relatively few interns, and each of them is assigned to a different team, it's harder to know others. This could reduce your sense of security. No special activities for interns. And as they expect you to be a very good developer, the guidance they give you was relatively few.

Well paid, great benefits, smart people, political environment

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsThe office is full of young, smart & passionate people. There's lots of focus on career development and training. You're looked after very well in terms of benefits and comp.

ConsThe Sydney office has become increasingly corporate and there's plenty of office politics. It's great place for someone who is early in their career, however unless you love media sales it's a challenge to find the right role for those who are more advanced in their career.

It's Google -- it lives up to its reputation

Pros- Free Food
    - the amenities are endless and truly amazing! It feels like a college campus more than a work campus.

ConsIt is such a big company, it's really hard to list the pros and cons! It depends what you are looking for and what team you are on. It probably even depends what office or campus you work on. I can't speak to every situation when it comes to Google. I worked on a contractor, so for me, the perks were still great, but you always feel a little left out when you are not a full time employee. In my experience, my managers didn't really educate or work with me directly. I had a teammate who managed me, and he was great! But it felt a bit isolating at times. I also wish I would have participated in more events, groups and activities. But I think you have to feel comfortable in your role before you branch out, and right when I got to that place, my contract was over!

Advice to Senior ManagementI think mentoring contractors (TVCs), making them feel included, being honest with them about their opportunity to continue with the company, and connecting them to resources more would be nice! But overall, working for Google is a surreal experience and it was amazing!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I really enjoy the environment

Visual Data Specialist (Current Employee) Bothell, WA (US)

ProsSo much lax. freedom. Lots of fun

ConsJob can get a little redundant

Great place to work!

Recruiter (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

Pros*Smart and hardworking co-workers
    *Constantly innovating
    *You get to contribute to some amazing products being build that really can improve people's lives.
    *Google culture
    *Good management
    *Amazing perks

ConsEveryone I've worked with is incredibly smart (and nice). I don't view this as a con but if you are used to being the big fish in a small pond it might be an adjustment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great culture and company

Account Strategist (Former Employee)

ProsGoogle was a great place to work. Aside from the amazing food! the people are smart, the offices are amazing and its just an exciting place to be.

ConsThe review process, at least when I was there, was very time-consuming and after a while it seemed to lose meaning,

Great experience but limited mobility

Account Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsEnjoyed access to lots of resources and smart people. Really liked the author talks from interesting writers. Free food and benefits were awesome. Explaining to people at weddings that you work for Google alleviates all further discussion of details about what you do

ConsHard to feel like you make an impact; convoluted career advancement procedures (need to always be strategizing around leveling up). Since the company is so big, you have to make a concerted effort to grow your skill set outside of your immediate world.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job overall; just might not be the right fit for certain people who need more breadth in their job experience.

System administrator

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly atmosphere with good bonus

ConsHigh competition for the same job

Advice to Senior ManagementHike the salary of the staff

Google Review

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsAwesome company to work for

ConsToo much work but the work life balance is good

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees

Best Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsAmazing place to work. The perks are crazy and well document so I won't repeat them here. They really take care of their people and make sure all our needs are taken care of.

ConsYour manager can make or break you. With the right manager you'll be promoted quickly and work on awesome projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in your people! You're doing great

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!