Google

4.2 2,333 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,245 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights
2,333 Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work!

Intern (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsThe environment and culture are wonderful. There's free food and events. The company does interesting work. You fee like your work is relevant when you work here because of the nature of the company's work. The people are nice, smart, and down to earth.

ConsPeople are assigned a lot of work so you must be sure to do a good job balancing your workload. It's hard to get work done when you have so many awesome distractions like neat events to attend.

Good compensation at a personal cost

Program Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsI know that as a single person I have enough to save, invest and live off of plus there is always room to pitch and execute on your own entrepreneurial ideas.

ConsThe mirage of work/life balance is really convincing. Bosses do not model balance and climate has become selfish and brutal over the past 7 years. Definitely embarrassed to say that I work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe Googley. Free, generous and whip smart. Always good humored and audaciously progressive.

Lots of cash allow the company to invest in its people

Senior Process Specialist (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI (US)

ProsGreat innovations, work for a company that is doing something most other companies can only imagine. Incredible benefits.

ConsNot much in terms of team. Each person out for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to balance excellence with cohesion. Very cutthroat environment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best company I've ever worked for, including my own company

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsThe engineers here are the best I've ever worked with, hands down.
    The company promotes the right people and fires the right people.
    The pay, benefits, and perks are amazing.
    The people really care for each other and look out for one another.
    Work life balance is great.

ConsNo real cons come to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

An amazing 7 years

Team Lead (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros- Great people
    - Fantastic benefits
    - Amazing office and office facilities
    - Great culture and values

Cons- Highly competitive
    - So big now that progress is hard no matter how good you are
    - Innovation from the ground up can be hard
    - Performance management curves

Advice to Senior ManagementGoogle is a well oiled machine now so don't be afraid to take some risks in how things get done.

A Unique Company

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsYou get to work on problems that have incredible scale, reach, and impact: design things used every day by much of the world's population; or create data-driven algorithms on a scale not done anywhere else. Even as the company has continued to grow, the culture remains very idealistic and bottom-up, so a new person can have incredible impact.

I have worked at Google for many years (and I have worked at several other similar tech companies), and in the end, the thing that makes Google unique is the earnest idealism of the leadership. The press makes fun of the "don't be evil" mantra, but in many ways, both visible and hidden, the leadership is serious about devoting the company's energy to doing good in the world. You see it in things like the incredible care devoted to protecting the privacy of customer data; or in the clever promotion of healthy food in the cafes and kitchens. And you see it in the type of projects that get funded: not so many projects that chase the gimmick-of-the-day, but more funding towards projects with a vision of a better world.

An excellent place to work over the long run.

ConsThe bottom-up culture is not for everybody.

It can sometimes feel chaotic, as if managers can't decide what they want. That's because the culture of the company is very much "try things and see what works." It is a good company if you are opinionated and thrive on uncertainty and autonomy; it is a less good company if you are looking for clear, consistent directions.

Inspiring, supportive, challenging, rewarding.

Design Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsOutstanding perks and rewards, high expectations, challenging work, lots of empowerment and minimal micromanagement, good collaboration, good lateral and vertical mobility, smart and do-the-right-thing colleagues, fair and unbiased feedback and performance evaluations, very transparent and good access to leadership.

ConsEven the best big companies have some amount of politics and some amount of duplicate or discarded work. Plus, when you've got a lot of people working on something, the work is sharded into smaller and more specialized bits, and some of those are naturally less interesting than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Keep thinking big and long term. Keep moving forward.

Work with some of the smartest people in the field, but with a very corporate feeling.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsThe perks are unbeatable. There are intern activities like a carnival, baseball game, Arcade Fire concert, 5K run, and plenty more. All of the perks available on the campus including gyms, 3 delicious meals per day in around 20 different cafes, and random classes taught by other Googlers are available for interns. The people you meet at Google are incredibly intelligent and always have cool ideas to talk about, and the work that Google gives you is always challenging and keeps you learning new things.

ConsThe cultural tries to maintain a startup feeling, but ends up being very corporate. There is heavy emphasis on secrecy around the campus and there are a lot of internal tools to learn before you can really become very productive. Because all three meals and so many activities are available on campus, the work life balance becomes hard to maintain and you end up working much more than 40 hours per week.

Google work

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsEverything are wonderful and very nice workplace

ConsOrganization is big and lots of organization

Best job ever!

ProsEverything has been amazing so far. I feel like I've died and gone to job heaven!

ConsI don't have any cons right now. Maybe that it's a bit hard to understand career paths but that's super minor

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing right now. Great job!

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!