Google

4.2 2,330 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,242 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights
2,330 Employee Reviews

A nice place you can work for whole life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHigh pay, great benefits, food provided everyday

ConsNot everybody is smart enough

Disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork alongside the best people
    Be on the "inside"
    Good food

ConsChildish culture
    Low pay
    Lack of opportunity to move up

Treatment varies greatly depending on full time or contract status. Not as good as it appears to be.

Technical Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON

Pros- Nice people
    - Free food and snacks
    - Great computer equipment and supplies
    - Desks where you can stand or sit (although not everyone had one)
    - Library, patio, and areas to lounge
    - Gym, exercise room
    - Unique office environment
    - Well documented tools

Cons- Be wary of people that bring gifts like free food, there is usually a catch. (Company tries to create an environment in which employees never leave. By trying to turn work into "home", employees do not learn to take care of themselves and be on their own.)
    - Work days are very slow to start and late to finish ie: 9am - 6pm. I'm accustomed to 8am-4:30pm or 5pm. I like to have *some* daylight when my work day is finished.
    - No flex time for contractors.
    - No benefits
    - Pay is "average" or "below average" depending on whether you are full time or contractor
    - Many employees at Google are contract employees. These people have no benefits. (All the free food in the world does not make up for the lack of a pension plan, dental coverage, stock options, or other "real" monetary benefits etc.)
    - Contract employees are used and discarded, and kept separate from full time staff
    - Contract work does not lead to full time positions
    - Contractors cannot stay for more than one year before having to leave the company
    - My manager worked remotely and was usually not present
    - Daily team stand-up meetings were frequently cancelled.
    - Employees in the same room communicate through IM rather than face to face. Isn't it faster to talk than to type?
    - Skills gained are not transferable because Google uses its own proprietary software and tools.
    - Opinions and suggestions are not welcome.
    - Employees spent code reviews nitpicking about having too many program comments. That's right: comments *about* comments!
    - Employees are dismissed? without notification. *

*My badge was deactivated this morning and nobody has contacted me since! I have no idea whether I'm still an employee at Google or not. It has been 10 hours. I have never seen a situation like this before. It is outrageous. I still have personal belongings in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry being in the building to manage employees.

Treat contract workers like people rather than as objects to be used and thrown away.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to intern at!

BOLD Intern (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros- Fun corporate culture
    - Competitive pay
    - Amazing people
    - Challenging work
    - Good work-life balance
    - Plenty of opportunity to travel
    - Free food!

Cons- Very demanding
    - High expectations
    - Stressful

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Google Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat employee benefits, games and fun including complementary food, transport and gym. Good environment for networking and social events.

ConsDifficult to get into company and also to move up when in. Does not appreciate people with language skills enough and values universities based on name rather than world ranking.

pretty good

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosgood benefits, good people to work with

Consnot much, except it's competitive

Google

Adwords Associate (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON

ProsA typical day is 9-5 and the workplace is positive. The hardest part of my job is being recognized. The most enjoyable part of my job is the freedom the position gives me.

Conslimited work/life balance, expected to work on paid holidays, little advancement opportunities, very competitive culture

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't konw

Amazing company where you can work on world-changing challenges

ProsSurrounded by incredible people, working on some of the coolest problems in the world. The company is a rocket ship and, early in your career, you really get way more responsibility than you probably should.

ConsDefinitely not a startup anymore and you can start to feel the bureaucracy creeping in. Also, opportunities to really move up quickly are tougher to come by.

ProsFun, exciting projects. Great colleagues, great team culture, great food, great pay.

ConsToo many smart people around to push you to your boundary.

Mostly good

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe usual: compensation, interesting projects, good food, company cares about employees ... (see below) ...

Cons... as long as productivity is there. Work life balance is possible, but you won't get promoted if you work "only" 40 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!