Google

4.2 2,299 reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

(1,224 ratings)

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 103 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 218 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 98 reviews)

• Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it(in 70 reviews)

2,299 Employee Reviews

Great Company to Work for but Maybe Not Forever

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsThe Google company culture is everything it's been built up to be. It's like working on a college campus with your friends but you really do get to do cool things that matter. You will have to opportunity to make the world a better place and help other companies use Google products to better their own businesses.

You'll truly get to work with great teams and will find a lot of people who care about your success and are willing to help. Support from management is pretty good overall.

The food is also fantastic.

ConsGoogle does employ a lot of people on one year contracts. It is actually more difficult to become a full-time employee while in a contractor role than it seems to be coming from outside Google.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople who have been here for a year are a real asset to the company. They are familiar with the products and the way the company operates. They are allowed to leave and excel at other companies once their contracts expire. Management may want to rethink that.

Great people

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsTons of very smart people to work with. Lots of things to learn. Great for your resume.

ConsPeer pressure. You need to prove yourself all the time.

Good interview experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had three phone interviews remotely and was flown onsite for a final interview. Very smooth process. The perks were amazing especially the free food and cool office.

ConsStayed with Google for two years under contract. Very stringent with contractors and slim chances of getting converted to full time employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of changing contractors on a regular basis, try reviewing the performance of current ones and assess if they can be converted.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Company. Amazing to work in a high growth org with super smart folks.

Director (Former Employee) Zürich (Switzerland)

ProsHigh growth - Immense opportunities
    Flexibility
    High quality benefits

ConsYou are IN or you are OUT. No middle ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent

I love Google Park and the food it provided

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsMany friends here, and it's closed to San Francisco

ConsYes, we need to deal with different problems here everyday, including some challenging part

Advice to Senior ManagementWe should organize more gathering, and introduce more to our interns.

Yes, it really is a great place to work!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsFantastic benefits. A culture that motivates a strong work ethic. Access to some of the worlds best leaders in areas of machine learning and large scale data algorithms.

ConsNot as much freedom to innovate as one might expect. The quarterly review cycle tends to throw out the idea of trying for a longer term vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementThrow out the quarterly review cycle, or at least keep the impact on day-to-day decision making to a minimum. It is too short a time-frame to draw conclusions. Also, drastically change your hiring process. It is far too slow, and the slowness is built into the painstaking steps that the interviewers have to take to support the interview process.

Good, Needs Help

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsThe interesting projects and people are a huge pro for me. The salary is extremely good as well. I'm very excited to see the Company's future.

ConsWork/Life Balance is extremely hard. I don't know why they insist on turning us into slaves. If you have a bad manager, your experience will surely be ruined.

The best employer I've ever had

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsEveryone without exception is very good at their job. The work is interesting and varied, the perks and compensation are great, and there's very little of the normal corporate BS that tends to distract people from their job at other companies.

ConsBecause the bar is so high and the pool is so talented, it seems that sometimes people would would excel at other companies have a hard time keeping up here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management doesn't always do exactly what I would want them to do at first, but one nice thing about Google is that everyone throughout the company is given a voice, and often decisions can be affected or overridden by the will of the masses, usually for the better.

Very high caliber of talent. Fast-paced work environment

ProsAmazing perks, flexibility of hours and work/life balance. Laidback and collaborative work culture. Great opportunities for classes and personal development

ConsDifficult to move up and take on more challenging roles. Not a great place to begin a career outside of engineering

Sr SEM Analyst

Senior SEM Analyst (Former Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsFood, snacks, pool table, ping pong, plenty of fun time.

ConsContract position, less chance of growth and development. Setting apart as Googler it is very good environment.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!