Goodyear

Goodyear Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Goodyear Chairman, President, and CEO Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits along with seemingly unlimited overtime if wanted (in 15 reviews)

• They treat you good, wages are good, good benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not a priority to managment (in 9 reviews)

• Very long hours, plus have to work on some weekends (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall good company and great working environment

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros- great culture
    - everyone likes to get to know everyone in the office (Canadian Office)
    - great salary package and compensation, Defined Benefit retirement plan, not too many companys doing that anymore
    - many opportunities to grow, if willing to move to Akron, Ohio, not too many or at all in Canadian office

Cons- Company has been doing well since 2008 downturn, but continues to have layoffs as a cost cutting measure

Advice to Senior Management- because of the numerous opportunities to grow, theres alot of people changing jobs within the company in Akron. Transition between people needs to be better, doesnt seem like person changing moving out of the position trains the person coming in very well enough to ensure a smooth transition

A grind.

Production Support (Former Employee) Napanee, ON

Pros14 days work per month at full time

Consproduction over safety. Low personal growth and compensation.

Positive

Production Tech (Current Employee) Greater Napanee, ON

ProsGood paying salary, great benifits we work 12 hr rotation shifts so you only work 14 days a month lots of time off.

I work with a great bunch of people and that really makes your job

ConsCutbacks in order to save money sometimes means things don't get fixed right away

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that you have forgotten the basics when it comes to the floor decisions at times you need to remember where you came from and how you got where you are.

Remember Back to basics

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for with honest people and a clear chain of command.

National Fleet Representative (Current Employee) Akron, OH (US)

ProsThe company provides job stability and a lot of options for lateral or vertical movement, if you're willing to wait. There are many different fields that Goodyear operates in and many work options within each.

ConsOverall company culture is male-dominant and traditional because of the nature of the business. Goodyear is an industrial company and the majority of people that are with the company have been in the tire industry for the majority of their career. The company is a very large ship and it changes direction slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving worked with local Goodyear stores on the ground level as well as the corporate office, it's clear that there's a disconnect between the two. Having an advisory team comprised of individuals that work on the center/customer level day-to-day could provide valuable insights to upper-level management who make number based decisions. It's hard to get a full perspective of impact decisions if you don't operate in the field.

Great Company very good place to work.

General Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) Union City, TN (US)

ProsThey treat you good, wages are good, good benefits. Goodyear is a good company to work for. The best place I ever worked.

ConsClosed plant for what ever reason and moved out of the country because of what ever reason. Would still be there if they hadn't of moved

Advice to Senior ManagementAmerican made means alot!

Sales representative challenges

Sales (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsPositive brand recognition helps with getting customers to talk and want to buy product. Well established history excites people and gets them to talk about products.

ConsSales is a very competitive job and when markets change, goals and expectations should too. Goals should be flexible to account for poor market conditions or loss of customers do to unforeseen complications.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake goals a living document allowing for changes to be made to make outcome more realistic. Understand that what happened last year is not a clear defining goal or plan for future sales.

Bungling a multi-million dollar business!

Machine Operator (Former Employee) Union City, TN (US)

ProsThere is a wonderful history of knowledge and experience

ConsAt our facility failure to recognize and follow through with root cause problems and management that didn't work as a team but more as individuals out for personal glory! No balance in direction, work was often done by those who would and many man hours were wasted.

long term company to advance

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Akron, OH (US)

Prosvacation days and spiffs earned

Consretail hours and holiday work hours

Advice to Senior Managementmore availabiltiy for promos are needed

Overall Good Place to Work

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Akron, OH (US)

ProsThe pay is pretty good. No bonuses for people that aren't managers. New building is really cool. Lots of job opportunities throughout the company.

ConsOpportunities are not in Engineering. Work lots of hours, it seems that if you work an 8-9 hour day and leave you are often called a "part-timer".

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are LOTS of good jobs (managers, directors, VPs, etc) throughout the company. But, 90% of these are outside Engineering. Engineers have little room for upward movement, but alot within Engineering Groups.

I enjoyed my job at Goodyear and the supervisors in my department were a pleasure to work with everyday.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWell you had to we'd irk as a team to get the job completed. We also had days that we were allowed to celebrate the holidays and birthdays in the department. Of course the job had to be completed first and foremost. We all worked together in tubers at Goodyear.

ConsThere was an absenteeism problem that made it hard on everyone that reported to work everyday. Some days we had to work shorthanded which caused a lot of down time on the line.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have an associate or associates that reports to work when scheduled and gives their all; please take a few minutes to tell that person how much you appreciate them because it means a lot.

Worked for Goodyear? Contribute to the Community!