Goodby, Silverstein & Partners

Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated 13 November, 2014
Updated 13 November, 2014
3.5

Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Co-Chairman and Creative Directors Jeff Goodby & Rich Silverstein
Jeff Goodby & Rich Silverstein

Pros
  • Excellent people and great Creative Directors (in 4 reviews)

• There are some great people working here who genuinely try to fight for work that's different (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, no opportunity for women (working moms), no clear business priorities driving the culture, lack of prioritization (in 9 reviews)

• Work/life/balance can suffer at times but that's life at any ad agency (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best experience in terms of creativity and fun!

Former Employee - Account Management in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Management in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Open space, creative teams and always looking to pick other people's brains for breakthrough ideas on campaigns. Despite their being a relatively young company, they have managed to produce some of the world's greatest ad campaigns of the 21st century, which is why they are able to combine both a fun and loving workplace while still remaining very professional and goal-driven for every account.

Cons

High turnover, but doesnt' matter as long as you show your passion and dedication for innovation.

I'd go back

Former Employee - ACD in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - ACD in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It can be a fun place. It's possible to get great work from GSP.

Transparent. They do a pretty good job of keeping people in the know of what the company's doing, goals, etc.

Very fair pay.

Cons

Very difficult to move up. You are seen as the same person you walked in the door as, even after many years pass.

Constant layoffs are ruining the atmosphere. It's really hard to take a chance when there's layoffs looming every 6 months—most people have been "playing it safe."

Recently have been taking junk clients to pay the bills.

Starting to be account run. This happens when you're too afraid to scare the client so you just do whatever they say.

Incredibly disappointing. I expected more.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some amazing and talented people in the building across all departments.

Still looks good on your resume.

Above average pay and benefits.

If you're willing to play politics, you'll do well here.

Cons

There's an insane amount of micro-managing from the main players in the company which hampers people from doing their job properly - especially on pitches. I've never seen anything like it.

Senior management are out of touch but shout until they get their way. This is a tv-centric company trying desperately to create the illusion that they get digital. They don't.

Stop hiring 'saviours' and reward the good people you seemingly don't notice. They hire with a fanfare then put them in front of a firing squad when it doesn't work out. A scattergun approach to hiring and firing.

Trust in the capabilities of the people you hire. You have seasoned talent with solid track records, yet you feel the need to interfere - mainly when projects are almost done. I'm looking at you Rich.

Organise yourselves more. Don't wait till the night before a pitch to have your 'big idea'. It never works and kills morale.

Great Place, Allows you to grow.

Current Employee - Ad Operations Team Leader in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Ad Operations Team Leader in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed all my time here, they let you work your own way, and let you grow with the larger team. The perks are great, it's really the work that drives the environment and that's why the people are there. To make great work. I really enjoyed my time at GSP.

Cons

The management style works great for the agency when it's at its smaller sizes. When it grew to near 1000, the management style was a bit too loose for the size.

keep on keeping on.

The luster is gone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

Hard working people. Very good about trying to represent the best work.

Cons

Lots of politics. Promoted the absolutely WRONG people to senior creatives who killed the culture of the agency. Many at the agency still living in the past glory. Layoffs and defections have left the place soulless and in a tailspin. Too many hacks and bullshitters at the agency.

Get back to the basics. Get rid of the worst apples

Looking back - a good company.

Former Employee - Art Director Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Art Director Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great creative place
    - A lot of talented people
    - Can build your portfolio

Cons

- Long hours
    - Typical agency BS

Great people, great company, a little outdated...

Current Employee - Communications Strategist in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Communications Strategist in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

-the people
    -the talent
    -the feeling of 'togetherness'
    -the work
    -the clients (big brands)
    -resume builder

Cons

-badly run
    -management is weak
    -CRAZY discrepancies in salary. Hard working, valuable people not paid enough, whilst a lot of higher ups or certain titles get paid a fortune.
    -Terrible employee retention strategies
    -disorganized
    -not enough attention in the right places
    -politics and favoritism

I love you guys, but you need to work on employee retention. We are losing amazing talent due to silly reasons. We need better leadership here.

I love Jeff and Rich, though. What amazing people.

Long hours and little recognition, but amazing creative agency!

Former Employee - Interactive Producer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Interactive Producer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work and collaborate with, dog-friendly culture, work with large clients on amazing advertising campaigns

Cons

Account teams can be cut throat, not very good comradery across teams, people don't seem happy within the org which leads to a bad work environment

Have regular check ins with your teams and find ways to improve teamwork and collaboration on projects. Be sure that people are incentivized to work hard and have clear paths to grow within the company.

Junior Art Director

Current Employee - Junior Art Director in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Junior Art Director in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

Amazing place to learn and grow. Lots of opportunity.

Cons

Losing great talented people during layoffs.

Overall great learning experience, mentored, and included - given real responsibility as an Intern.

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flat organization, collaborative, very easygoing atmosphere. I felt like I could ask questions without penalty, and felt encouraged to explore ideas which were valued. Nice respectful and ego-free environment. Ego was not applauded. Everyone was nicer than any office I've been in.

Cons

I found the city difficult to afford. It's in a great part of town but housing would need to be over 30min away if I were going to move there, because I'd be hired as a junior at this point in my life. As a senior manager or director it would be easier at higher compensation. The upper staff have no issues.

Nothing. I can't express how pleased I was with the leadership at GSP.