Girl Scouts USA

Updated 13 October, 2014
2.9

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez
Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference (in 11 reviews)

• The work-life balance is unlike anything I have ever seen before (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization (in 15 reviews)

• Exceptionally disorganized- even for a non-profit (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is nothing good about this Girl Scout council

Cons

Horrible CEO. Has no idea how to run a company and lets the employees fight amount themselves. Totally unproductive environment. Poor little girls have to sell cookies to pay the salaries of staff and of unqualified CEO because the board has been hand picked by her to keep her in position.

Quit

A fair and positive place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The supervisors, officers, managers, are all very loyal and strive to treat their employees as best as possible, They back you up and stand behind you, and do what they can to support work/life balance... so long as you're not a bad employee. As long as you pull your weight and do well, they'll support you well.

Cons

Even though there's a culture of supporting the staff among the managers and chief officers, the general culture is still very traditional, hierarchical, and conservative. Set work times (generally), regular employee reviews with quantified rankings, heavy focus on numbers. Not very "results only work environment."

While the 35/hours a week and ample PTO and as best of health insurance as can be afforded is top-notch, and that alone makes GSMH stand out, more ROWE-based culture at the foundation would really help morale.

Excellent

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Rewarding experience working with girls and being a mentor to others.

Cons

Too much paperwork involved and training is not enough.

Exciting work, difficult upper management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A mission I could support 100%, and that made me feel good every day. Working with the girls from time to time was incredibly satisfying. The team I was a part of produced great work, on time, on a shoestring. The amount of PTO was phenomenal. Generally the friendliest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Upper management seemed to say the right things, but do other things, that weren't productive. The learning curve in Girl Scout Land is rather steep, and too often, good people would get frustrated with how long it took to do things, and so leave. There was also very little career growth available, so if someone was a good employee, but maybe not a good fit in their current job, there wasn't much that could be done to rectify that. Too many managers in general. Not enough knowledgeable, experienced, professionals; unfortunately, lots of nice ppl, but lot of 'em were kinda dead wood.

Make people accountable, for real, and not just say that you are. (That was my biggest beef. Some people seemed to get away with subpar/non-productive work too often; it's ok to learn from failures, but they must be called failures in order to be learning moments. Work on career development opportunities, so good people, who are committed to the mission, are able to stay.

Helps the girls, but not the employees

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A culture of female empowerment and making the world a better place. Lots of energetic, friendly people doing their best. Always fun to meet the girls and the volunteers. I love that Girl Scouts includes ANYone who identifies as a girl, and they really promote diversity.

Cons

Exceptionally disorganized- even for a non-profit. Very top heavy, with lots of "managers" and "directors" who really just ended up making everything more complicated and difficult than necessary. Everything hinges on cookie sales, which is not a great plan. Salaries are terribly low.

Cut out a lot of the middle/upper management that just creates a lot of layers but doesn't actually do anything with the girls or volunteers. Find other sources of income. More training for employees. The salaries are not at all competitive.

Great mission, horrible execution.

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I got to work with the girls and the leaders. I truly felt like I was making a difference in their lives.

Cons

Every few months there was a new theme and reorganization. Truly felt like a game of corporate survivor.

Overall great place to work.

Current Employee - Program Specialist
    Current Employee - Program Specialist

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great, friendly co-workers and managers who are willing to help you with anything. It's a great place to be creative and see how your work directly impacts the girls. It is very rewarding to see an event you developed run successfully.

Cons

There's lack of communication between departments, which can be very frustrating. Also, the expectation to leave certain properties in perfect condition, yet host events that involve painting and baking.

In need of revamping their program

Former Employee - Troop Leader in Bakersfield, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Troop Leader in Bakersfield, CA (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This program teaches girls how to work together as a group and also to become confident women.

Cons

Upper Management is not very helpful. You get conned into starting a troop and then you're left trying to figure everything out.

Management needs to stop thinking about themselves and help the troops.

a lot of good people trying to do too much

I worked at Girl Scouts USA (more than 3 years)

Pros

"cause driven" people who are fun to work with

Cons

too broad a scope "all girls everywhere"

It's all about the girls!

Former Employee - Camp Counselor (Unit Staff) in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor (Unit Staff) in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good youth support and interaction programs! I love the atmosphere that we provide. Our goal was to be there for the girls and help them develop themselves, it was almost altruistic in nature, at least as a camp counselor-it has to be! Definitely challenging and I encountered a lot of personal growth along with that of the girls. The summer camp staff is always subject to change but both years I worked up at the camp I absolutely loved the camp staff! Weekends off were nice and the camp I worked at wasn't too far from my house. You're in the middle of nowhere, and so can't spend any of the money you earn. (Forced savings, yay!) Also, you get to spend a lot of time outside. That might not seem like a plus to some people, but you're in beautiful surroundings that you get the chance to appreciate every day. You get to temporarily run away from the real world every week. If everyone had a chance to do this, the world would be a better place. For real.

[See the * portion of the Cons for more Pros.]

Cons

It really is hard work, with little benefits. You don't get paid much, but welcome to nonprofits. The focus is on the girls and not the employees, which can create resentment when the employees are run-down, sick, tired, and about ready to snap the next time someone asks "What are we having for dinner?" (The unit staff don't know this, that is up to the kitchen staff and kitchen staff alone. The girls, however, have a hard time figuring that out.) Children are difficult. Let's be real. The hardest job in the world is being a parent. Probably the second hardest is being a camp counselor for 10 weeks out of the summer. You don't really get any time to yourself-you technically get a two hour break every day but that time is supposed to be used to write parent and 'love' letters to the girls and their families, clean the staff lounge (which is a certifiable petty dish since no one ever does this), planning programming for the girls, additional paperwork, and a whole host of other things I'd prefer not to get into. Sometimes when there are communication lapses between staff things can go exceptionally wrong, at least in the eyes of the staff. (To the girls, unless they are older, everything seems planned.) Also, on the food, it is comfort food for the kiddos. This is fine if you're only attending camp for a week, require comfort, and have the metabolic abilities of a 9-year-old. It literally makes some staff sick at times, eating this way for so long. It has a profound impact on your body and physical health, and therefore your mental health as well. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to quit just because of the food.

*However, if you're doing this job, you're not really doing it for yourself or money in the first place. You can bring your own food to stash in the staff lounge. There are facilities in place to help with the mental health of staff members. Kids say the damn funniest things I've ever heard, and you can always feed off of their exuberant and curious energy. So please keep that in mind!!!

Longer breaks! Break times for staff rejuvenation and staff rejuvenation alone! Healthier food alternatives for the staff! More money! (Think: inflation. The price of everything is going up, including milk. I can't live without my milk. Therefore the amount we are paid needs to increase as well. Ever heard of college tuition?) Less scheduled time. The girls ask for it every single freaking day, and it wears the staff down very quickly. The girls need time to chill with each other and bond, especially the older girls. I wouldn't say no to scheduled nap-times either.

Girl Scouts USA Photos