Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated 28 August, 2014
Updated 28 August, 2014

2.6

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good people to work with; flexibility; good pay (in 7 reviews)

• Close to home, great co-workers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 17 reviews)

• patient to staff ratio, management to focus on paperwork and not enough patient care (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to grow

Current Employee - Admissions Coordinator  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked for Genesis since 2006. I have held several positions and have made many great connections and friendships. The company has tons of support for those interested in learning something new. The care is phenomenal.

Cons

The pay is somewhat low compared to other large healthcare companies.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Physical Therapist  in  Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Good employee relations

Cons

Relatively high demand for daily responsibilities

Horrible experience

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Fairmont, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Fairmont, WV (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't think of anything positive about the company !!!! It's all about profit!!!

Cons

I honestly don't know how they stay open...there is so much illegal activity going on there. The residents were neglected and treated poorly.

The administrator is focused on her bonus and trying to cut corners. We never have the supplies that we need to do our jobs.
    The place us filthy !!!!!!!
    Stay away if you value your license !!!!!!
    They don't have your back!!!!!!!!
    They will throw you under the bus and not think twice about it.
    They hire anyone even if the nurse has restrictions on his/her nursing license....

Focus on patient care not about the $$$$$....

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Being treated unfairly and disrespectfully by company, HR lied to me and were unethical and unlawful

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

The regular pay rate is not good at all. My program manager is really nice. So are my co-workers. The atmosphere in my rehab center is a pleasant one.

Cons

Taking care of any personal things requiring HR involvement is a nightmare. I was told straight out lies. I was then punished for acting on the information I was mislead to believe. They were not courteous and helpful, and did some illegal things as well. I am really unhappy about the way they are making it so hard for me to handle personal HR problems.

Educate your program managers and HR people about federal and state law regarding employee job protection. Treat employees with dignity at all times and do not put them down

GHC has it's ups and downs.

Former Employee - Director of Marketing and Admissions
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing and Admissions

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally the people who work here, make it worth working with the company. They do their best to support you in your role, with information either in person or on their central site. There are plenty of opportunities to advance if you're motivated to do so. If there's ever an out of the way question, or needed information, they will go far to find that answer for you.

Cons

Depending upon where you are, you may feel like your voice is lost in a crowd at times, company is getting too large for particular problems and issues. They can be pretty slow to respond to particular inquiries at times, and also slow to hire.

I think the management and higher ups at corporate should look at certain areas of the company and look into turn over, and why it happens.

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing good to say about Genesis.

Cons

All the negative things you read is true. It is better to stay unemployed then to never work at all because you are really risking your nursing license working at this company.

i have had a very stressful and unsatisfying experience with Genesis Healthcare during the last two years.

Current Employee - SLP  in  Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Current Employee - SLP in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like the facility, the patients and staff of the therapy dept.

Cons

Very unexperienced and rude area management who places unrealistic expectations on our PM and staff expecting overtime and weekend coverage from regular staff. There is limited coverage for vacation time and it is often denied. Hourly wages are not based on performance or experience but on what a person can negotiate with the area director. If she likes you, expect to make more money. The demands to keep patients on a caseload are unethical and we are often demanded to keep patients although we think they have reached potential. I have been asked to treat patients that are not appropriate for therapy, but the company wants the revenue.

Management should be a degreed person comparative to PT, SLP, OTR degrees. Management with lesser degrees have poor insight , communication skills, and are not viewed as professional by other staff. Upper management is out of touch with reality of therapy and more concerned with perception of the company,

Pretty Satisfied

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

The co-workers are awesome. Workload could get pretty overwhelming but that's everywhere when you are in healthcare.

Cons

Management can have some unrealistic expectations.

Worst Place I have ever worked at.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Providence, RI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare for more than a year

Pros

Patients were the best part. Food is good. You can work as much as you want because most staff don't show up the next day so you have no choice .

Cons

Management is the worst part of the job. They spend most of the time with there favorites forgetting about the great employees they have. Special exceptions made for favorites. Shady sneaky management. Nothing stays in HR. The favorites are only favorites because they have major things over managements head so they get away with everything from calling out to lying and making false statements Etc..This is definitely a place to stay away from unless you love drama and low pay

The entire place needs all new management

I worked for Genesis for a little over 1 1/2 years

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

My unit manager and ADON were great!!

Cons

The DON was just THE most miserable person I've ever worked for. The CNAs run the show and would outright refuse to follow the RN/LPNs directions then would lie when you complained to the DON-who ALWAYS took their side. The staff turnover was really high and for good reason. If you stayed there long enough you eventually quit or were fired for trumped up reasons.

Try to get management that actually have a degree in healthcare management.

Worked for Genesis HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!