Genesis HealthCare

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated 19 November, 2014
Updated 19 November, 2014
2.6

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay based on market, great staff to work with, love the patients (in 10 reviews)

• They offered good benefits at the time (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 23 reviews)

• The management are more concerned about the paperwork, than actual patient care (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

exciting interesting

Current Employee - Certified CNA in Wyncote, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Certified CNA in Wyncote, PA (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

helping all types of residence all types of ages

Cons

not knowing the conditions of any of the residents that are coming in facility

always willing to learn new and interesting upcoming in services

You are expendable!

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sick time that can be rolled over, vacation that can be rolled over, pay scale is good, overtime if your productivity is high enough

Cons

If you want off, you have to schedule it months ahead of time or risk being denied, so although you get vacation, try taking it! Have to "cover yourself" during the holidays if you want more than 2 days off, so even if you take 2 days off, you only get one day, cause you're coming in Saturday or Sunday.

Constant shoving it down your throat about building med B caseload to "do what's best for the patient" but it's ALL about building revenue for the company.

Crazy productivity when you're pulled in all directions by the company and whomever you're contracted with.

Have to beg for materials to support therapy or buy it yourself

Documentation that takes forever to do, with conflicting information of what's required. People working off the clock to get caught up.

Therapy Programs are rolled out with NO follow through by management to actually implement them

Don't be fooled. It's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY for corporate.

Decrease the amount of upper management, get yourself back to the field, and see what it's really like in the trenches.

Good company, bad management

Former Employee - Dietitian in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Dietitian in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay rate, learn a lot

Cons

Bad management, vacation and benifits suck

Care about your employes, they are not as replaceable as you think. Pay is good for a healthcare company, but the benifits are lacking and expensive. Education reimbusement program closed. Management treat emplyees like a commodity, no respect. Vacation 2 weeks a year for the first 5 years, good luck trying to take any, you have to request vacation in summer 6-8months in advance.

Maintenance Director Assited Living Facility

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Strong Team Format

Cons

Overwelming degree of work management would like done compared to work that needs done.

Be more open minded on other peoples responsibities.

Numbers matter, not patients.

Current Employee - PA-C in Voorhees, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - PA-C in Voorhees, NJ (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work hours are good, not great good

Cons

no flexibility, pay is horrible!, lies, lies, lies, was told one thing and then after accepting the job all responsibilites changed, work load is insane, expectations revolve around numbers not patient, do not apply if you care about patients

your numbers won't matter if patients are not taking care of

The place is just a mess

Former Employee - Slave in Warren, RI (US)
    Former Employee - Slave in Warren, RI (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The residents are the best part of the job. Lots of over time

Cons

No appreciation, low pay rate, over worked, no lunch or breaks

Hire more staff, Needs to be more organized, Increase pay rate, Appreciate staff

This company will be the death of me....

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I cannot think of one single positive thing to say about Genesis Healthcare or Genesis rehab services. They are pure evil.

Cons

Where to begin? Elimination of all but 2 holidays, and don't even think you're going to get black friday or Christmas eve off...even if you have PTO to use. In fact, Good luck using your PTO EVER, especially around holidays or in the summer. Requests need to be submitted 4 months in advance, without approval until only maybe 30 days in advance, so I hope your tickets are refundable, because your request will probably be denied, not because of lack of coverage for your absence, but because "it's not in the budget this month." I know of several people who have lost PTO time simply because upper management made it impossible to take before it "expired." Just one more tactic Genesis uses to cut costs. Hiring more full-time staff without the caseload to support it, only so they can force full-time staff to work 6 and 7 days a week to get their hours, This way they don't have to pay PRN for weekend coverage. Productivity/scheduling/POS documentation expectations are unrealistic. Conference calls with CEO Dan Hirschfeld (GRS) to have our hands slapped. He literally said that medicare cuts were OUR fault because not enough of us wrote to congress. Wages frozen for several yrs. The one year that they did allow them, they reduced the max allowed increase from 3% to 2% and then regional managers who didn't even know the employees that were being reviewed made decisions as to how much the employee deserved (it was never the whole 2%) Very hostile vibe coming from upper management/corporate. Much intimidation. I've never worked for a company that seems to hate it's employees so. My partner used to be jealous of the love I had for my job just a few years ago, now I cry nearly everyday because I am so miserable. Everyday I go into work I wonder what are they going to take away next? Will this be the day my job is finally eliminated completely in order to hire a cheap new grad? I could go on and on, but I would end up giving away enough info for them to figure out who I am and eliminate me...and I need my job.

I won't bother with advice that you won't heed. You're a company of cutthroat pirates who know nothing of care and compassion. You breed hate with every building you infect. $$$$$$$$$ is all you see.

Genesis is all about money and they do not care about staff

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Cranbury, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Cranbury, NJ (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I do not have any positive experiences with this company.

Cons

They will work you into the ground.

Look at the acuity of the patients and not just the census.

Unethical and Terrible Management

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

The pay was average for the setting.

Cons

Incompetent managers who constantly lie to their employees.
    Terrible work - life balance. Genesis refuses to hire PRN staff and insists that their regular staff cover all needs. It is impossible to take time off, due to their unwillingness to hire PRNs. I was told point blank that I can submit time off requests, but they will be immediately denied.

This company needs all new management. The managers clearly have no training in how to manage effectively. I'm really not sure how this company got so big with such incompetent people running it.

Worst professional experience I have ever encountered!

Former Employee - RN Management in Falmouth, MA (US)
    Former Employee - RN Management in Falmouth, MA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with a very dedicated group of people, who persevered under very difficult circumstances. I also enjoyed the residents and interacting with the families. Most everyone took great pride in their work and showed a great generosity of spirit

Cons

Frequent turnover of building management, air of distrust of corporate management (rightly so as they lied continuously), lack of support from corporate management, intimidation, dehumanizing treatment of employees and ultimately, the closing of the facility resulting in loss of jobs for 114 people and the disruption of placement of 75 sick and elderly residents. Shameful!!

Corporate had all employees complete an employee satisfaction survey. Did you read them Do you even care? If you ran any other business in this fashion, you would'nt survive. Put some humanity back into healthcare or throw in the towel.

Genesis HealthCare Photos