Genesis HealthCare

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated 29 January, 2015
Updated 29 January, 2015
2.5

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay based on market, great staff to work with, love the patients (in 11 reviews)

• Great coworkers, good benefits and plenty of class available thru genesis U for free cause (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 23 reviews)

• The management are more concerned about the paperwork, than actual patient care (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Headed in wrong direction.

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Great staff. President of company is great.

Cons

Area leadership is cliquish and like to bully others. They say it's all about the patients but really it's not. It's all about the dollar. There is no way to advance unless you are in the clique. The choices for upper management are terrible. Area directors and senior area directors are just plain mean and only care about themselves. Never do they offer to come in and help in times of need. They seem to just sit at their homes and delegate who is doing what. Every week, something else is added to the to do list. Expectations are not reasonable.

Investigate area leadership In the south. I think you'd be surprised of what really goes on...what a shame.

Not to be Believed

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Some of the coworkers were very nice people; the building had plenty of heat in winter time (I know, but I had to get at least 20 words in my post & there was not really anything else good to say about the place.)

Cons

The most horrific, unprofessional management you will ever deal with. There were also a lot of employees with very little education (style or tact for that matter) who had "positions with titles."They sat in their nice little offices while watching college-educated individuals run around without even having time to eat lunch. Working here is akin to being in a Third World factory.

Try taking some management classes or better yet, just admit that you went into "management" with no skills whatsoever. You only decided to become "management" because you were tired of actually working. As all employees know, that makes a very poor manager. Also, you can give someone the title of "manager" but that does NOT make them a leader.

Work in Thearpy department at Powerback Lakewood CO- Terrible Company - They don't care about employees or patients.

Current Employee - PTA in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - PTA in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I can't say one PRO about this company.. WORST COMPANY. IT IS CLEAR THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY. I HAVE ONLY BEEN THERE FOR 3 MONTHS AND LOOKING FOR DIFFERENT JOB. The only PRO I can think of is helping patients. However They except your productivity to be 87.5% when they have you running around a 110 bed building so you are typing most of the treatment session because I can have up to 18 patients in a 10 hour day. So patient care in bad because I don't feel like I am giving good quality patient care because they are so concerned about your productivity. my average for one month was 85.5% and I got asked how I can cute 10 minutes out of my day to reach 87.5% ...I don't know when I don't even have time to go to the restroom. I guess the only pro is that one weekend a month a get a 4 day weekend because they make you work on Saturday a month.

Cons

- NO work life balance. They prefer 6 months notice for time off. They said at least 60 days notice is required . And any notice for time off between 30-60 days will be considered but highly likely will not be approved.
    -If you find someone to work for you for a day off and not even ask for PTO they won't approve it because PRN help cost more
    -No training. Beneifts are terrible
    - I came from a facility where the therapist worked as a TEAM to help patients and had meetings with staff/family to follow care. NO teamwork here at this facility, therapist are not involved in the planning for patients care after their stay.
    - I feel like a number there not an employee.
    -Therapist assistants have to jump through loop holes to use an modality on a patient. Gensis cleary does not want therapist to use modalities due to possible liabilities . A therapist can't even put an ice pack on a patient unless an evaluating therapist has it as a code in the evaluation and the general area of the body. I had a patient for 3 days that was in pain and even though IFC was a short term goal and a billing code I could not do it because a PT had to do it first therefore I had to keep emailing management to have a PT see the patient so IFC could be started. very degrading to what we went to school for and it show poor patient care. I could go on and on but I am so glad this was not my first job out of school otherwise I would have a terrible taste in my mouth for the Therapy world. there is not one good thing about this company and most of the therapy staff is looking for other jobs.

Learn to treat your employees like people versus prisoners and slaves. It must be bad with PRN staff say they are glad they don't work their full time

Decent company, good training, horrible for new nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Overall, the company's formal training program for RNs was pretty impressive. Salary was good. Benefits okay with limited choices.

Cons

Would not recommend for new RNs since this company found it acceptable to have LPNs training new RNs, which is not good since such person knew LPNs were being phased out in favor of RNs and therefore had a record for being exceptionally critical of new RNs and had many fired. Later, this new RN found employment at another facility and had a much more positive first-time working experience ... and was successful in LTC and later, acute care.

See cons.

very hard place to work !

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

love my co worker, close to home

Cons

Management is bad, nerve enough help!

worst work experience EVER!

Former Employee - Contract Therapist in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Contract Therapist in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

not one single thing about this company

Cons

Upper management LOVES to belittle and make staff feel worthless. I wish I could name names here. It amazes me how positions magically appeared to promote ones friends. Nepotism reigns with this company. If you want to work with a reputable company then RUN RUN RUN AWAY from this one! In 25+ years of working, I have never been so disgusted to see how staff therapist are treated!

Fire all upper management and start over!

Quantity over Quality Care

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They are desperate enough for employees that new nurses should have no trouble getting hired. If you are desperate as well, this may be the perfect match for you, but if given a choice, choose per diem and have an exit strategy. By working per diem, you stay in control of your own hours and don't have to give one month's notice to quit.

Cons

Staffed by census, not acuity. Patient care suffers due to inadequate staffing. They are treated like a number rather than a human being. I feel bad for the patients who end up waiting an hour for call lights to be answered and to get their PRN medications.

RESTRUCTURE: staff by acuity so that your patients get the quality of care they deserve.

Too much work for amount of people on teams.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunities may be available.

Cons

Managers are unaware of the amount of work verses amount expected to be completed on time. No help in that area. Management does little of their own work and disperse to others.

It used to be great now it's just a job. :(

Current Employee - Employed in Bedford, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Employed in Bedford, NH (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's close to home. 4 weeks vacation after ten years

Cons

Treatment of employees is bad. Feel like now that the company is growing they care less. Benefits keep getting crappier, pay freezes no raises pour pay. Need more then 20 words 4 cons

Upper management has little respect for employees. Very rude and favoritism is a key part of being treated nice. Nice when upper management walks into a room and acts like people don't exist. Wish this company was run by an aurther t

I enjoy the people I work with.

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with. Good benefits, live CEU course and online CEUs, paid membership to your association, paid second state license.

Cons

Low hourly wages, low or no annual raises, very micromanaged by upper management.

Decrease micro management, do away with wage freeze.

Genesis HealthCare Photos