Genesis HealthCare

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated 19 December, 2014
Updated 19 December, 2014
2.6

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay based on market, great staff to work with, love the patients (in 11 reviews)

• Great coworkers, good benefits and plenty of class available thru genesis U for free cause (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 23 reviews)

• The management are more concerned about the paperwork, than actual patient care (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Nothing Special

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere. Love the residents here and my other colleagues. Definitely helps you grow in the people skills area.

Cons

Administration seems a bit lacking. Seems disorganized at times. Orientation/training does not explain all parts of the job. Felt as though I was just thrown into it.

Get organized.

Genesis Rehab Services

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ambitious in its company expansion. Now functioning in China!

Cons

Expansion efforts short change employees, in my opinion.

Great place to work, But... Pay is horrible

Current Employee - SLP in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - SLP in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

on top of their game with technology, provide what's needed to get the job done.

Cons

unrealistic productivity rates and terrible pay. They give less and less benefits each year and still expect more from emoloyees

Show appreciation for employees, it would help boost morale and productivity if paychecks allowed emoloyees to live above the poverty line

2 years working for genesis

Current Employee - COTA in Danvers, MA (US)
    Current Employee - COTA in Danvers, MA (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, good benefits and plenty of class available thru genesis U for free cause.

Cons

On the lower end of pay scale, no raises

Continue Advocate for staff

Disappointing

Former Employee - Therapist in Port Saint Lucie, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Therapist in Port Saint Lucie, FL (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

At one time benefits for education were very good

Cons

Cut hours, no back up from management. achievements not recognized and never enough. Expected productivity is unrealistic and not conducive according to setting.

Recognize your employees achievements. Be involved, get out of the office contribute to marketing for increasing caseloads.

Keeps getting worse..

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Agawam, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Agawam, MA (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are wonderful, hard working, truly care about the residents. Acute-care is good experience.

Cons

I have been here over three years, starting as a new graduate LPN. In that time period, the turnover with employees has been huge. Many long term employees left due to management. Currently, there are no 3-11 or weekend supervisors, there has not been in about 6 month.
    There are agency nurses working almost every shift, every day of the week to fill in the gaps because staffing is so low. Getting time off is extremely hard, even if you ask months in advance. If you do not have enough vacation time, you must find your own coverage of a regular, not per diem, employee (hard to do when there are few people that can actually cover your shifts). If you are sick, they interrogate you as to why you are calling out and ask personal questions.
    Upper management is extremely disrespectful of employees, reprimanding employees in public, discussing personal information in public, and talking about other employees when other people can hear.
    I have had a $0.50 raise in the three and a half years since I have started. I have not received my raise or annual review for this year (six months late).
    Attitudes of certain employees that have been there for years are never addressed. Some employees are downright rude and disrespectful to new employees and are never spoken to about it. According to management, "well that's just so and so, nothing we can do about it."
    When employees go per diem, or put in their notice for termination of employment, they are treated terribly by management and even some staff members. Management has been known to bully employees who quit.

Appreciate all the hard work your employees do! Stop giving employees grief when they call out sick or need time off.

Decent company, good training, horrible for new nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall, the company's formal training program for RNs was pretty impressive. Salary was good. Benefits okay with limited choices.

Cons

Would not recommend for new RNs since this company found it acceptable to have LPNs training new RNs, which is not good since such person knew LPNs were being phased out in favor of RNs and therefore had a record for being exceptionally critical of new RNs and had many fired. Later, this new RN found employment at another facility and had a much more positive first-time working experience ... and was successful in LTC and later, acute care.

See cons.

very hard place to work !

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

love my co worker, close to home

Cons

Management is bad, nerve enough help!

Good and bad

Former Employee - Therapy Program Manager in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Therapy Program Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Treating a good patient population

Cons

Staffing and training model

Great company to work for and I loved the people that I worked with. Our corporate office is in Towson great commute.

Former Employee - Senior Reimbursement Analyst in Towson, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Reimbursement Analyst in Towson, MD (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Genesis provides a great professional work environment. I was with the Cost Reimbursement Department for 17.5 years.

Cons

The only con would be that there is another corporate office in PA and they are moving certain jobs to that location. which was the case in my situation.

Management needs to give at least cost of living raises to get quality people to apply and stay with the company on a long term basis.

Genesis HealthCare Photos