Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated 28 August, 2014
Updated 28 August, 2014

2.6

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good people to work with; flexibility; good pay (in 7 reviews)

• Close to home, great co-workers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 17 reviews)

• patient to staff ratio, management to focus on paperwork and not enough patient care (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great when it started, but.....

Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist
    Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Met many great co-workers along the way. There is usually the option of transferring to other buildings.

Cons

Unfortunately, the honeymoon phase of working for Genesis wore off eventually. Overall, I found that the environment really depends on which specific building you work in. You may be a part of a team in which everyone is friendly, helpful, even socializes outside of work, or you end up working in a building where folks are uptight. I agree with other reviewers who mentioned a revolving door of staff. I had several, and I mean SEVERAL, different managers as an employee with Genesis. Seems they just can't hang onto managers for more than a year or so.
    My biggest disappointment came during my last 2 years working for Genesis. It seemed that more and more was being expected of us as employees, but that Genesis was very unwilling to budge re: hourly rate or any other incentives.

I think that the "clique culture" needs to be addressed in many buildings. In the last building I worked in, it was as if there was a Rehab Illuminati that I was not part of. Only employees who were willing to drink the Kool-aid, so to speak, were in. On two particular occasions, I recall hearing information from my co-workers that I had shared with my manager in confidence. It was extremely disappointing to discover that my superior couldn't be trusted not to share information with her minions.

Maintenance Director Assited Living Facility

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Strong Team Format

Cons

Overwelming degree of work management would like done compared to work that needs done.

Be more open minded on other peoples responsibities.

Collections Specialist

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Seven Fields, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seven Fields, PA (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for less than a year

Pros

i can work all the over time i want and the people are great

Cons

we never seem to get caught up in our work.

add on the temps on and make permanent jobs for them

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, bad management

Former Employee - Dietitian  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Dietitian in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay rate, learn a lot

Cons

Bad management, vacation and benifits suck

Care about your employes, they are not as replaceable as you think. Pay is good for a healthcare company, but the benifits are lacking and expensive. Education reimbusement program closed. Management treat emplyees like a commodity, no respect. Vacation 2 weeks a year for the first 5 years, good luck trying to take any, you have to request vacation in summer 6-8months in advance.

"Started Great Then Went Downhill Fast"

I worked at Genesis HealthCare as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

Geriatric Care
    They hire LPNs
    VITAS Hospice Care
    Affiliated With UNION

Cons

Rude Staff
    Some Rude Managers
    Low Moral
    Corporate intimidation of staff (pre visit)
    Inconsistent rules/changes

Genesis

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Genesis is a good company

Cons

Genesis hours are difficult to work

Good benefits, bad coworkers

Former Employee - Unit Clerk
    Former Employee - Unit Clerk

I worked at Genesis HealthCare part-time for less than a year

Pros

good benefits, good pay rate

Cons

company and mangement are cheap

Occupational Therapist

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

Pros include good pay, flexibility, opportunities for CEU's

Cons

Overworked, overwhelming amounts of documentation, no coverage to actually utilize benefit time

stronger mgmt with more structure and support

A company that changes with the times

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

They have an excellent resource library through their intranet that provides valuable clinical information as well as numerous a blues for advancement whether it be clinical or administrative.

Cons

Productivity standards coupled with inadequate electronic devices to maintain such standard unrealistic at this time and their documentation systems seems to be not up to par with their expectations and fluidity that would allow for high productivity standards

Provide more access with more computers and more paper ready resources to decrease time spent on non productive administrative duties to allow for more focus on what we do best, patient care.

Mixed Feelings

Current Employee - RN Unit Manager
    Current Employee - RN Unit Manager

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Genesis Healthcare is the largest long term care provider in the country. There is room for personal growth and advancement within the company. Easy to transfer from one center to another in case of relocation. Regional nursing director for New Jersey was great. Good time off. Met some wonderful hard working individuals that were trying to make a change but were limited by upper management.

Cons

One month notice to be re-hirable. Gap between the training they provide and actual nursing practice and realities of the unit. Complete disconnect between non-nursing management and nursing management. At times disrespectful administrator towards other workers (this is center specific). Attitude from non-nursing management was that of believing that all nurses were "lazy" and did not like change. Would get upset when nurses would stand up and explain that what was asked was outside their scope of practice, "All they care about is their license non nursing management would frequently say". No open communication lines between administrator and other employees. Walking on eggshells not to offend anyone from other departments. Everything fell on nursing, other depts. had no accountability. No tuitition reimbursement, I was lied and told it would be started back again in 6 months and to this day it remains frozen. Insurance is really expensive, specially considering it is a huge healthcare company.

Need to connect more with people in the front line providing care such as staff nurses and CNAs and listen to their suggestions. At the end of the day, nursing is the beating heart of a nursing home, they should receive at least a minimal degree of respect.

Worked for Genesis HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!