General Dynamics

General Dynamics Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

General Dynamics CEO Phebe N. Novakovic

Phebe N. Novakovic

Pros
  • benefits, training, responsibility, great people to work with; team-oriented(in 9 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were incredible(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • HR and upper management are completely unaware of the male supervisors flirting with the female CSRs(in 10 reviews)

• There are a couple big time asses that somehow manage to stay in middle management despite their incredible ineptitude and lack of people skills(in 6 reviews)

Very friendly and relaxed environment and a lot of team and individual work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting work with room to advance in the company

ConsWhen things are slow, it can get boring

Challenging

BD and Marketing (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsGreat people, entering new markets, good technology, treat employees with respect, provide good tools and facilities to get the job done

ConsSenior management out of touch and seem to not know how to grow the business. The old ways will not work anymore. The business model is broken.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe old ways can't keep the company a float. You need to expand your strategy to new markets and new products.

Bureaucratic Nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were lots of things there to learn

ConsEverything needed to be done yesterday. Poor management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocrity rules at what used to be a great company!

ProsSome extremely talented people in the industry have worked there at one time or another.

ConsThe extremely talented people have left, either voluntarily or not. Mediocrity ensures that you will have a long life at GD. Weak middle management continues to foster that environment. Social ties trump merit. The HR department protects itself. Belt-tightening efforts have cut muscle and bone, rather than fat. What it is left is complete inertia.

Advice to Senior ManagementElevate employees who have proven themselves, rather than those who have marked time at the company. Put people in place who can actually implement the corporate vision, not micromanage to death what is already working.

ok place to work

Senior Designer (Current Employee) London, ON

Proslocation with respect to housing price

Conspoor advancement possibilities based on seniority

Advice to Senior Managementtreat senior employees with respect

What a mess, but good place to wait for retirement.

Contractor (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsJob Security, Free Fridays, relaxed environment

ConsWhat a mess... Professional level is very low, no decision makers, a lot of idiots around....

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your management system. Two-tier management clearly doesn't work...

Well run but lacks team atmosphere

Anonymous (Former Employee) Falls Church, VA (US)

ProsThe corporate office is filled with people that are experts in their fields. It makes it a great place to work to get things done right. The hours are manageable. The office is superb and there's a good onsite cafe.

ConsCan be very political at times. Some of the Sr Management doesn't feel it needs to mix with staff. Very little if any team environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice more "Management By Walking Around"

Good Company

Identity Management (Former Employee) West Des Moines, IA (US)

ProsI worked for the best boss I have ever had. The guy was a leader not a boss. Great ethics. People I worked with were very knowledgable and helpful.

ConsLots of confusion in the ranks as the company, in West Des Moines, was going through 2 purchases.

Advice to Senior ManagementBump up your compensation package. Your technical people are underpaid.

General Dynamics Customer Service Representative I

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Winchester, KY (US)

ProsGood beneftis, great people to work with, great atmosphere, opportunity for advancement...eventually. Really helping people from all over the US.

ConsComputer problems made it very frustrating at times. Low starting pay with no raises for a long period of time. Very strict attendance policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer incentives for performance and attendance. You do a great job of creating a good atmosphere but morale suffers when there is nothing to work for (bonuses, raises).

Very good company to work for while they were the prime on contract.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsVery supportive management. Intelligent team of software engineers to work with.

ConsFair compensation given market conditions, nothing extraordinary.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities for training and advancement. More individualized job performance plans.

Worked for General Dynamics? Contribute to the Community!