Generac Power Systems

Updated 14 October, 2014
2.5

Generac Power Systems CEO Aaron Jagdfeld
Aaron Jagdfeld

Officespace to the max!!! great place to build resume'

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Waukesha, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company gave me amazing personal development skills and assisted me in creating an amazing resume in sales and helped me land an amazing job elsewhere. The Benefits were outstanding. The employee picnics are wonderful because they have free beer so you can forget about work for once on there dime.

Cons

The pay was really poor especially since the sales departments are usually short staffed with absolutely no extra compensation but yes to extra stress. It feels like I was back in school with all of the extra non sense they throw at you every week from left field with due dates!! Any issues start with the sales rep. Then get passed to a department with one great lady in there. The company over works you and under pays you. Watch out for the "executive team" and the Many vp's they have. You have to thresten to leave to get a raise. Promotions are not handed out. No opportunities to move to outside sales as they claim "this is where it starts as an isr and then you get to outside sales" yeah, you get the amazing training and go make bank elsewhere by finding s great company and promoting yourself!! You don't matter but the company does. No hurricanes, no sales, no bonuses. Rename sales reps. To account executives or managers.

Upper management needs to do more team building activities with there employees more than once a year. They need to improve MANY processes which ultimately affects customers and end users then sales. Make this a commission job and drop the taxed 40% bonuses. In the world of sales- money motivates which drives sales.

Stay away...very far away!

Current Employee - Sheet Metal in Eagle, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Sheet Metal in Eagle, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of overtime(instead of higher pay)
    Their checks don`t bounce

Cons

Very low pay,no balance between work and home life,unsafe forllift drivers especially in the shipping area.
    Once you at the "top" of your labor grade(pay scale) thats it.
    Doing more or going beyond is not rewarded
    Micro managed,and badly at that
    The bureaucracy
    Revolving door of employees...if you stay a year thats a long time
    Management is very disrespectful to employees,unless your a pretty woman or drink with the supervisor at lunch
    No drug testing,not even after an injury
    No saftey concern is addressed until AFTER and injury occurs
    Bonus structure is terrible...you might get a little something,if they dont spend money to polish the shop floors
    I could go on and on...do yourself a favor and stay away

Pay quality people a quality wage!
    Really evaluate your managers,most things get done do to "lower" level empolyees` hard work
    DRUG TEST DRUG TEST DRUG TEST!
    Take some time to visit the shop and talk to people..and see why things don`t run as they should.
    Trust the people who do the job everyday rather than the lead or supervisor (not much there)

Says they care...but they don't

Current Employee - Accounting and Finance in Waukesha, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Accounting and Finance in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Finally upgraded decor and added a cafeteria. Lots of good people around.

Cons

1. No work life balance...in fact it has been said the balance needs to be towards work.
    2. Micro-managed
    3. Growth opportunities are few, they would rather hire from outside
    4. Low pay
    5. Not flexible on vacation time
    6. Against working remote
    7. No direction from management
    8. Certain areas are just broken (Accounting, IT, HR) Others are constantly re-structured
    9. Bad management from the top down
    10. No training

Act like the billion dollar company you are, promote from within, train properly, treat your employees with respect

Not a good work environment.

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Reliable job.
    Generac makes some really cool generators and my job can be fun and rewarding.
    The people you work with will be nice and helpful.
    They'll hire you! Don't let a temp agency play you at Generac.
    This is a billion dollar company on the NYSE and there is potential for tremendous growth.

Cons

Many departments are constantly being "restructured". They use the word restructured because it sounds better then "these departments are unfix-ably broken".
    Interim manager after interim manger.
    There is a real us vs them mentality between hourly and salary employees.
    A lot of my co-workers and managers just wanted to keep what they had. No interest in getting promoted or improving things.
    I thanked my manager for giving me a job on her last day. She replied,"you had a pulse, don't thank me yet".
    They seem to hire to fire which is gross.

Be more honest with your employees. You are on the same team. So restructuring needed to happen but can we please get back to work.

Frustrating, and not what I was sold during the interview process.

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Potential for growth is great.

Cons

Poor benefits, no real push to create the change necessary to take the business to the next level. Upper management wants to create new processes, but won't fully fund the technology to create "excellence."

Spend some time at the businesses that are creating real excellence, then fund the program to use tools that really work.

Transformation from a family business that cared about employees to a billion dollars business that ....

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good opportunity for growth IF you are willing to give up balance of family work. Culture has changed for the positive. No more carpeting on the cubicles. Better atmosphere, meeting rooms and cafeteria.

Cons

Senior mgt asks for input and opinions but doesn't really care. New senior mgt that loves the big picture and doesn't understand what it takes to get things done. Will churn through people without hesitation. HR department is as cold hearted as the last WI winter. Pay us below average.

Get your personal wealth out and get back to caring about the people that are instrumental in helping making you look good.

N/A

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI (US)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Growing company; coworkers willing to help you when new.

Cons

Company is set in its ways and is very slow in evolving; resistant to change. Very strict PTO and hours; looked down upon if you are not in the office until 5 each day. Poor company culture - there are no "what's in it for me" benefits. Employees come to get their work done and leave. There is no effort in building relationships with team members.

Immediate managers are not the problem - upper management needs to start changing the company culture.

Talk a good game during interview then work you to the bone.

Current Employee - Sales Support in Waukesha, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always lots of openings, due to constant turn around.

Cons

They talk about flexibility and family first during interviews but don't accommodate any requests once you are employed. You are expected to arrive early and stay late and without acknowledgement. Extremely draining atmosphere.

Be more flexible and accommodating to employees. Everyone has a personal life and most of us would like to see our families more.

Terrible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of overtime, a good job for someone who s single and has no family or no life!!!!

Cons

They preach soo much about family and all of that and they dont care, you have to leave work...dont count on leaving without getting crap about it. if you need off for a weekend or something for a family gathering...dont count on it either, you would have to use your occurrences, which is nice but you only have 12 to use so if something goes wrong....ya gotta use an occurrence...the leads dont care and they always get rewarded either way even when other employees complain. there is favoritism for sure, if you dont know anyone your pretty much gonna be on the chopping block at the company. they are already getting rid of the temps and anyone who hasnt worked there a year has to find a new job withing the company because its slowing down...work-life balance is terrible the line was on 12 hour days during the week and then 10 hours on Saturday with Sunday off. people have been harassed so many times by my lead that he has ben written up, sued, all of the above literally, and he still is working there, just because of the favoritism...this place does not care at all about you. the production supervisor used to go around telling people they are a dime a dozen and screaming at them and pretty much treating them like dirt....ya def a place you want to work....

There is none this place is gonna keep working but at what cost.

Ok company in Engineering Department

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, customer focused, benefits, smart engineers. The company makes money hand over fist based on well designed engineered products, great lobby and cafeteria; good location

Cons

Support Departments, such as IT, HR, and Finance are broken with poor leadership

reevaluate senior leadership in support functions

Generac Power Systems Photos