Generac Power Systems Reviews

66 reviews filtered by
2.7
Generac Power Systems CEO Aaron Jagdfeld
Aaron Jagdfeld

Pros
  • Growing company; coworkers willing to help you when new (in 5 reviews)

• Lots of overtime(instead of higher pay) (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is/was very very very antiquated in terms of work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management wants to create new processes, but won't fully fund the technology to create "excellence (in 4 reviews)

Dealer Acquisition

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitewater, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitewater, WI (US)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They trained well. Good starting job. People I worked with were great.

Cons

I drove from Milwaukee. I once got behind 3 slow moving semis while heading into the office. I was 2 minutes late. My manager made me take half a day and docked my pay. Another time the clock was wrong and I clocked out 2 minutes early. I had to take half a day.....It felt like my supervisor really relished her role as the bad cop.

Advice to Management

Flex scheduling

2. The opportunities to contribute and and add value to this growing organization are limitless!

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Your ideas are valued and wanted. This is a company that pays for performance not just fancy ideas. The work pace is fast and results oriented. A great place to work if you being engaged and active.

Cons

If you like to think things over and over and then think on it a little more you will not like this environment. Company is behind on providing all the advanced tools people think they need to get the job done but management is looking into ways to correct that.

Advice to Management

Keeping talking about and reinforcing the end result. There are a lot of great people here that give it their all and would most likely give even more if management entertained some flexibility around work schedule.

3. Hands down - awesome! Great culture, executive team, and very promising future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, but the employees are even better! The opportunities presented to you to make a direct impact are limitless. It's a great feeling to wake up in the morning knowing you are going to spend your day with hard working, intelligent, and passionate people who are all working together toward a common goal. So much talent within the organization - always promoting from within

Cons

Generac is growing a lot! With having tripled in size in the last 3 years, there is obviously going to be parts that are evolving and changing, but that comes with an innovative company that is always growing. Wouldn't you rather be a part of the company that is increasing in size that has growing pains along the way vs a company that stays stagnant?

Long hours --- but then again, everyone is working so hard- it's a great environment to be in

Advice to Management

Executive management is actually very visible - they have their hands in all levels of the company. Sometimes that can be frustrating when they are involved in so many pieces all the way down to the bottom, but it's nice having high-up executives be highly visible and involved (gives then exposure to you and your skills too)

Great place to get something on your resume

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Waukesha, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is OK, benefits are OK. Newly remodeled corporate office. Super friendly people that are all very helpful. Cafeteria onsite.

Cons

Training is overwhelming if you don't have a background in electronics. Pay is WELL BELOW average for similar jobs in the area, that's why most people leave after a year or two. Cafeteria food is average at best, and overpriced. The inside sales team sit at desks that aren't much bigger than the desks that you had back in first grade. Tend to push sales numbers/budgets, but LOVE to pile on additional, senseless projects on the sales team, things that have nothing to do with hitting your budget, but then they wonder why the numbers aren't being hit.
    Come here out of college, get a job on your resume and then go somewhere else and make real money.

Advice to Management

Stop burdening your sales teams with homework assignments and let them focus on selling.

Long hours, no appreciation, and low pay.

I have been working at Generac Power Systems

Pros

It's a job and a paycheck.

Cons

Too many to count. Low pay, long hours, micromanaging.

Advice to Management

Respect your staff. Otherwise, you will have no one.

Been here less than a year and love it!

Current Employee - Sales Management
    Current Employee - Sales Management

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely love the companies drive to win in the market! It's an intense place to work for sure because it is very results driven. Wall Street loves the financial performance. The office is completely renovated and conference rooms have modern technology for meetings. Getting into new product categories is only going to mean continual growth. I'm in sales and love being the leader in the generator market because it gives us strength in customer meetings.

Cons

Definately not a place for mediocre people that want to work 8-5 and turn everything off. This place is for career minded people that can handle a company that is aggressively growing organically and through acquisition. A place for hard working people.

Get ready to be challenged

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for growth if you're willing to work hard and stand apart from the crowd. In a company growing so rapidly there are a lot of opportunities for both new and old employees to be exposed to new challenges, but you have to be willing to put in the extra hours.

Cons

There is a lot of blame to go around when something goes wrong - departments need to stop blaming each other whenever there is something not right.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on ways to keep employees engaged, but recognize it's okay to let the bad employees go. Quit teaching new employees that it's okay to speak poorly of the coworkers and other departments.

9. Pushes you to be your best, takes the best out of you, then might leave you on the side

Former Employee - Manager in Waukesha, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Waukesha, WI (US)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A manager level employee here is given a lot of latitude to make things work, this is great experience and can be a real positive. Company is dynamic and not afraid to take risks. Salaries are competitive and bonuses are good. Working to update offices, benefits and soft stuff.

Cons

Definitely an old boys club mentality and you have to be popular to get promoted. You work very hard, very long hours and most managers do a poor job recognizing you in even small ways. Despite working successfully on a very large project, having a long tenure, saving multiples of my salary - I was shafted twice by a new manager with less than six months at the company - once by not allowing me to bid on a job, and then firing me later Management stood by and did nothing, which to me displays a lack of integrity or loyalty.

Advice to Management

Live the ideals you preach to your employees by being fair and honest. Reward those who have worked hard with recognition, bonuses or promotions.

An Abusive, Hostile work environment, Stay Away!

I have been working at Generac Power Systems

Pros

Get good experience to pad your resume to move on to bigger and better things.

Cons

No insensitive, command and control type of environment. lot of promises made about bonus and overtime during hiring process and rarely seen. compensation does not fit the expectation. The demand for constant perfection can be overwhelming. When mistakes happen people are treated like children and never given a fair chance. Employees are only a number.

11. Mechanical Engineer with Generac Power Systems

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Jefferson, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Jefferson, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Good starting salary, exciting projects, good coworkers, keep you busy.

Cons

A lot of managers and not always enough engineering resources

Generac Power Systems Photos