Gartner Reviews

Updated 29 August, 2014

4.0

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Gartner employs a lot of smart people which make it an exceptional environment to learn and grow (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Talks a good game for work-life balance, but many Account Executive jobs require round the clock work (in 16 reviews)

• Most promotions are internal , which means that middle management is not always best in class (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great organization to join from a Research perspective

Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst  in  Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Research Analyst in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Positive culture and environment
    - Clear objectives and targets
    - Very flat structure - senior management are accessible
    - Organization encourages independent thought and opinion

Cons

- Strategic priorities appear to change within the same year
    - Management focus can shift significantly on a year to year basis
    - Highly (too?) metric driven approach to individual assessment

Don't get completely obsessed with the numbers and look beyond those to what matters in reality

It's been a long and winding road, but I've found my place here and love doing my job

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture is excellent and there's many great benefits besides the healthcare. Lots of opportunities for growth and career development.

Cons

Training isn't quite there yet - not up to world-class standards. Salary for support depts could be better (more competitive), and morale has room for improvement.

Need more upward feedback - better management of the managers and more accountability for poor management

Best Job Ever

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Where else can you be a part of setting strategy for your clients? Direct access to CIO's and executive team, with the ability to really make a difference and bring value to every meeting because of the excellent analyst community (i.e. 'product') that Gartner offers. I work from home, manage my own schedule and my boss is not at all a micro-manager. He expects a strong work ethic and excellent results, and he gets it.

Cons

At a corporate level, I have some concerns with how Gartner manages clients 'geographically' as it creates situations in which you are competing against your peers in other regions; also with executives maintaining more than one office it is often not clear where 'home base' is, which means everything in terms of how the growth is recognized and how that client is managed.

Even though I am extremely satisfied in my job and with Gartner, I am still looking for 'what's next.' Can I really expect to grow THIS territory 20% yoy? What roles could I move into without having to move my family to another state (I'm remote)? You're doing a great job and literally the only thing I can come up with is "Consider what your long-term strategy is for retention of the sales force, which as you know typically carries notoriously high turnover rates."

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Weak middle sales management.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Top notch subject matter experts, who are very bright and willing to support the clients. True subject matter experts. Same for the Client Partners that support the sales team. Pay and benefits are competitive.

Cons

Weak sales leadership at Area Director and Regional VP level. Seem to be people who were promoted due to strong sales ability, but with no regard for their leadership skills and/or talents. Little apparent regard for balancing territories to help ensure success of the team instead of the few good old boy/girl favorites. Very tactical and transactional focus versus strategic "long" term client focus. Very cookie cutter approach to the sales process with little support for creativity. This approach has proven effective from a corporate results perspective, so they are gettiing the results they want, but it drives out the senior sales people who may be able to make and even greater contribution.

Consider hiring proven professional sales leadership and embrace the creativity that they bring to the field operations.

The best place to continuously learn, grow and develop

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you like being in a challenging environment where you are always looking to push yourself, then Gartner is the place for you. The people at Gartner are world class and make up an incredible culture. You are constantly working with smart and driven people both inside the company and with your clients. The company has a clearly defined strategy that has served its clients and associates well.

Cons

As a Company that is always trying to improve and grow sometimes it is hard to relax and reflect on what you are accomplishing

Stay the course and don't lose your focus on your people

Great environment

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Surrounded by curious individuals willing to learn, help each other and find new ways to help our clients make the most of their investments. It's definitely an environment that is focused on making their sales teams better and doing things the right way.

Cons

Nothing too dissimilar with other large entities. It's what you make of it and how you work with people, do the right thing and generally things turn out as they should.

Continue to focus on new markets and investing in the resources to support clients and the sales teams.

Great culture, top notch people.

Current Employee - Information Technology  in  Trumbull, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Trumbull, CT (US)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some of the best IT and business professionals you'll find anywhere.

Very collaborative culture.

Excellent benefits package and lots of flexibility when it comes to work hours and working remotely.

Opportunity to travel if you're into that.

Cons

People are over-worked and there aren't many opportunities for advancement due to the fact that they run a lean ship and people tend to stick around for a while. A promotion is usually in the form of a title change and a little bump in pay to in order to keep people happy.

A little bit of an old boys club going on. Seems some folks in senior management are kept around because the impression is that they are responsible for the company's success. However, its my opinion that in a lot of cases the success is in spite of the old heads and should be contributed to the passion and dedication of the troops.

You're a bit top heavy. Cut some of the dead weight, open up the middle and give the real earners an opportunity to have a say. There is plenty of untapped potential.

A terrific place to work

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

-Smart people; Interesting work; Interesting industry

Cons

-None that I can think of

Commercially growing, technologically advanced, process oriented

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many (overseas) training opportunities, encourage taking up different roles in the organization, internal promotion, good communication across organization so the employees are aware of company direction.

Cons

The nature of the product is such that its easy for client to share 1 login among many users, so there is some hurdle in growing the account within existing clients. The product is as good as the analysts so its hard to maintain the quality.

Great company - surrounded by smart people

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

This company has fantastic training and great people. Benefits are excellent, too. The Gartner name holds a lot of clout.

Cons

Processes can some time get in the way of individual situations.

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!