Gartner Reviews

Updated 27 September, 2014
4.0

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 44 reviews)

• The ability to work from home when needed is also a plus (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Talks a good game for work-life balance, but many Account Executive jobs require round the clock work (in 19 reviews)

• Senior Management- Their last India H* was fired in a weeks (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Best career move I could have made. Working with sharp, driven folks in a motivating environment with excellent training

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits for sales are amazing- 4 weeks PTO plus Holidays. Compensation is competitive and with uncapped income you make as much as you want- no limits. Work life balance is driven by the individual. Gartner does try to place people in the right position to fit their skill set. If you end up in a position that you are in - your manager should help you look at other Gartner opportunities.

Cons

The sales position is a performance rewarded position. Standards and expectations are high so as with any sales position, if you are not performing then you will be given other options.

When promoting internally sometimes the pay will be adjusted as a limited increase from your current position rather than fair compensation for the position.

When you have folks that have earned a promotion they should be paid fairly for the position (the same as an external hire). High quality talent has left Gartner to take other opportunities with other firms that pay more because their pay is limited from their current pay scale. For example- inside sales folks moving to the field will have substantially less pay for a field position or to take a position as a Dir in another division. This practice damages out brand internally. It would pay in dividends for the Gartner operating committee to eliminate this practice and invest more in proven performers rather than risk bringing on outside new hires.

Love this place

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

Opportunity for personal growth, supportive management, unlimited access to knowledge of IT

Cons

Work-life balance, can be cliquey

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've never been at a job with so many long-timers. People who make it through the 1-2 year adjustment period at Gartner often stay for ten years or more. There are lots of good reasons for this: great work-life balance, good benefits, a positive, friendly, highly collaborative atmosphere and rewarding work. There aren't many jerks.

Cons

There are those who seem to advance every year but for the rest of us, it's prudent to plan on spending a long time in the same role without dramatic improvements in your comp.

Court more dissent. At times it feels that people win points for conformity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AE

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great firm, lots of smart analysts, never dull.

Cons

Not man but better comp is welcomed.

Keep doing what you are doing.

A very good expwrience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Gartner

Pros

The ability to work with c level executives helping them executed a forward thinking business strategy with the enabling of it technologies

Cons

The internet has made the flow if once propriety information much easier and the need to move from subscription service to cionsulting

No advice

Pay is not competitive

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gartner provides extreme value to it's clients. CXOs are quite welcoming when a Gartner AE comes through their door. This is a great experience to build your resume and connections. I would not recommend it long term.

Cons

The compensation model isn't close to that which other IT companies offer. I know that I make more here than most of my peers and yet, my OTE is still far less than it is for other Account Execs in the IT industry.

If you want to keep people who are of the caliber that can gain the trust of the CXO, you are going to have to pay more. Commission rate should be double what it is. Also, I suggest you reinstate the bonuses you took away this year.

Actual work is okay, but Management has their favorites so they do not always base decisions on facts

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of paid vacation leave

Cons

Pay is very low
    if you are not your bosses favorite you do not get a lot of training opportunities

Be Fair and increase pay

Client partner or is it sales support

Former Employee - Client Partner  in  Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Client Partner in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great group of professionals in this organization. Great training, however the breadth and depth of the actual job was not realized in the beginning.

Cons

Too much focus on the gartner way and not enough focus on individuality. Role perceptions between the CP and AE worlds need to be adjusted. Respect needs to be enforced. We are all qualified professionals. Too much focus on metrics cloaked with the word value. They ask us to provide value to clients but we better make sure it's shown by the metrics set in place. There has to be a middle ground. Get more anonymous feedback from your people and listen to them. Everything isn't working perfectly.

Be realistic with new hires when explaining what the job entails. Let them speak with someone who will be blunt about the job demands. Don't fluff it up the whole time. Gartner is the best ever! (says every employee in typical gartner cheer) I find this hard to believe that there are no cons to working there. I found the cons after I took a job that was nothing like the job I interviewed for but still had the same title. I felt played.

Great earning opportunity, but I couldn't imagine working there full-time and was counting down the days.

Former Employee - SMB Account Manager  in  Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Former Employee - SMB Account Manager in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I worked at Gartner as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The internship offeres a great, competitive pay opportunity. Depending on your assigned teams, you may have the chance to learn a lot about sales in this internship, but keep your fingers crossed and don't be afraid to seek help from other people. Just make sure that the people you seek help from speak-up to your managers about you involvement.

Cons

Overall, the internship was incredibly boring, and using other managers/employees that you were not assigned to you could risk that you aren't given the thumbs-up at the end of the internship. So much for a "collaborative environment."

Overall, I felt like I was a droid, and often caught myself more interested in reading Gartner research than the actual internship. As an intern we were given a team on the vendor and end-user side, and a business development executive, and so much of your success is based on your connection with your teams/managers. Full-time employess told me that a lot depends on your managers ability to influence you, which seemed to be focused on pointless meetings.

Change assigned teams each week. Being stuck with a team that literally seems like they could care less about the interns is demoralizing. It's sad to think "this could be my team if I got the job" and not excited about the opportunity.

Contractor - Research Content Specialist

I worked at Gartner

Pros

best place to start working at.

Cons

Management could pay more attention to those who work the hardest.

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!