Gartner Reviews

Updated 20 October, 2014
3.9

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Some groups allow you to work from home all the time or some of the time (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging if you dont clearly set this with yourself (in 20 reviews)

• Middle management is by comparison very poor and the leadership lacks strategic vision (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience with opportunity for growth.

Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great Management
    -Great Training
    -Opportunity to Manage Own Book of Business

Cons

-The job is what you put into it, and the outcomes are directly related to the work you put in. That can be a challenge for some people, and that is why I would consider it a con. You're responsible for the success and failures of your book of business.

Amazing Company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential, Incredible Winners Circle

Cons

Leadership sometimes promotes nepotistically instead of merit based

ae

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

engaging high level executives daily

Cons

unpredictability of your clients business can lead to a loss of clients

Feel the pulse of technology

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Prague (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Prague (Czech Republic)

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

You will be always in touch with best in class knowledge
    always learning new things
    as a client representative you have unique opportunity to communicate with many smart CxOs on the market
    company has very clear goals which are connected to most of things going on here
    everyone is open and willing to help you

Cons

Work-life balance can be challenging if you dont clearly set this with yourself
    dont expect many out of office or team building activities, culture is sound but limited to work stuff

Good company but employee experiences vary by team

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Gartner (more than 8 years)

Pros

More vacation time than any other company I have heard of. 20 days to start plus holidays and this goes up to 30 days after four years. Some groups allow you to work from home all the time or some of the time.

Cons

Salaries can be below average except in some teams, like Sales. If you are lucky to be on a good team with a good boss you can rise quickly. But if you are on one of the teams with bad managers or politics though you can be held back. Some people in that situation leave the company and then come back later if they want to move up.

Top management is great. Look for the middle managers who let politics slow down progress and their direct reports' careers.

Love this place

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

Opportunity for personal growth, supportive management, unlimited access to knowledge of IT

Cons

Work-life balance, can be cliquey

Great people, poor management

I worked at Gartner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company is very good at recruiting extremely great people, especially in Research and Executive Programs. This is a very stimulating environment to learn and grow. The brand is great and customers can really find extremely valuable insights if they work properly with Gartner.

Cons

Middle management is by comparison very poor and the leadership lacks strategic vision. Gartner is far better to explain what digital means to their customer than trying to think strategically about what it means for themselves. The management is product (and not service) oriented and more focused on internal metrics than on customer experience.

Digital and customer experience should be key words in your strategy.

High Turnover

Current Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

interesting research, and analysts, career opportunity to change department after 2/3 years, not before that

Cons

targets are unreachable as they limit the prospects you're allowed to speak to, no management support, all bad things are deflected to the US, built on hopes and dreams not deliverables.

stop with the 'fake it til you make it culture', instead of interviewing more peope keep the ones you have everyone with experience is leaving

Why Gartner?

I worked at Gartner

Pros

i see only one pros - The PTO package is very good if you are in the company for long time. No other employer can beat this company. And some time there is flexibility to WFH. That too depends on the manager from my experience in gartner. This is one of the key reason across this organization to stick with this company.

Cons

- The end of year appraisal is just a gimmick. This is very sad. People try to work hard considering the goals set in the beginning of the year. But there is all a fake set up across the company.
    - Some of the Managers are really mean. People are just treated as slaves.
    - They want just the work get done. They literally don't care about the employees.
    - Lots of politics. Feel like it is family oriented business. This makes no room for an talented individual to grow.
    - No work ethics or moral values.

Pls hire managers that manage other people only if they have experience in that past with the similar role. This would cancel most of the problems that they create to their sub-ordinates. And I bet lot of people would benefit out of this.

Their upfront investment in their sales people is like nothing I've ever been a part of-

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have 20-years in I/T...16-years with a large "blue" organization who for good reason, prided themselves on their sales training. After recently returning from Gartner's 5-week long Field Academy and spending weeks away from my family...I can say with confidence that an entirely new standard has been set with respect to sales training. Beyond products, the training leveraged best practices in value selling and the real-life leveraging of nearly all of our internal systems and resources. Every person walked into that training endeavor with relatively zero understanding of the enormity of Gartner's offerings, aside from a Magic Quadrant or Hype Cycle. Coming out, we not only had a clear understanding of our value, we had the ability to immediately own a territory, run our business, leverage our people and systems, and provide immediate value for our future clients. If it sounds like I drank the Kool-Aid, perhaps I did...but as many years a professional seller, I cannot envision a better company to have been selected to represent for the second half of my career. Class act - across the board.

Cons

Their training requires two weeks in Ft. Myers Florida, one week remote learning and ride-a-longs from your home office, then two weeks back in Ft. Myers. We were not permitted to go home on the weekends during those two 2-week spans. This made it difficult on many of us with families...especially the women with young children. The rationale here was not explained...therefore caused a certain amount of angst. We came to the assumption that this was intended to provide the opportunity to gather outside of the classroom and create bonds amongst ourselves - perhaps allowing us to create friendships and lean on each other when hitting the field. While this training regiment is mandatory, and clearly spelled out during the interview process, a simple professional explanation as to the rationale for not allowing us to return home on the weekends would have been appreciated. (Even if it was simply a cost-related travel decision) If in fact this was to create a bond, it probably worked, as some of the best memories took place over the weekends...and tears and man-hugs were-a-flowing as we prepared to depart after our graduation. That said, we were all experienced and successful sales professionals - explaining the purpose of the rules would have gone further than simply enforcing them.

The training regiment that you have put together is amazing. Continue to hire the best and brightest and and to make this investment up front. We collectively felt as if the 5-week investment shaved 6-months off of our ramp up time in the field. Work on the content of week 4...as we felt there were areas that were drawn out longer than necessary for the message delivered. During the other 4-weeks, we actually struggled to identify a single half-hour span that wasn't time well spent...impressive. While understanding your not wanting us to lose focus of training, we felt as if it would have been appropriate to deliver us our numbers and accounts in week 4, so that our planning activities, compensation models and pathway to to our objectives could leverage real data...and offer us an additional kick-start advantage.