Garda World Security

Updated 10 September, 2014
2.1

Garda World Security Chairman, President, CEO Stéphan D. Crétier
Stéphan D. Crétier

The company motto says "integrity", but I see little of it.

Current Employee - Marine Facility Security Officer  in  Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Marine Facility Security Officer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of work, high turnover in managers, who come and go and only try to make themselves look good.

Cons

average pay, many payroll errors caused by site supervisors not submitting hours correctly. The managers commit errors that put contracts at risk.

Evaluate your staff, promote based on competency and experience. Identify the poor performers and remove them from sensitive contracts.

If I was the President, I would be embarrassed - YYZ

Former Employee - YYZ - Aviation  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - YYZ - Aviation in Toronto, ON

I worked at Garda World Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

coworkers - lower management - sympathize with each other when they are being crucified by upper management

Cons

no growth unless you speak French
    Upper management uses staff and throws them under the bus when it's their fault
    Upper management is clueless, naïve, and are majority retired Air Canada employees
    Your manager will mostly likely not know how to be effective manager
    Everyday there is a fear that you will be fired, walking on egg shells no matter if you do your job right
    You have to be "yes" person to survive in the culture, if you do what's right or speak up - you will be fired.

Learn leadership, management, and integrity maybe you won't have so much turnover. Stop promoting GardaWorld as a great place to work you are just lying and wasting candidate's time. Upper management don't be threatened by your staff if they do your job plus your job better than you!

Mr. Crétier if you are ruthless as a leader than kudos to you - your style definitely trickled down throughout your divisions.

Great Company

Current Employee - Security Supervisor
    Current Employee - Security Supervisor

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

Always been treated great. They have shown me great respect. They've been there when I needed help. Pretty much since day one with them I have always had full time work.

Cons

It's a big company so sometimes it takes a bit longer to get stuff. Have had very few problems with them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No leadership

Current Employee - Pre-Board Screening Officer  in  Winnipeg, MB
    Current Employee - Pre-Board Screening Officer in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only real pro is coworkers. Pay and benefits are purely the result of union efforts.

Cons

General Manager is unqualified ( was a bartender), Check Point Managers invent policies while ignoring labour code and the CBA, so-called quality leads are unfamiliar with CATSA sop changes and are highly confrontational, employer changes schedules without telling staff, health and safety concerns are ignored. CATSA would do well to cancel current agreements with Garda.

Come interview screeners WITHOUT the local senior mangers present to get honest answers as the local mangers use fear and intimidation to suppress truth.

Shouldn't be in business, such a joke

Former Employee - Security Guard  in  Windsor, ON
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Windsor, ON

I worked at Garda World Security part-time for less than a year

Pros

Cant think of any, non zip..

Cons

Tell you your going top get full time, then bring in more pt employee's to make sure you don't get full time, which means no benefits, 6 months, one pair of pants , one shirt, how's that for being professional, The only reason I give you one star, is because they don't have any more lower options, or you would get a minus , Garda doesnt want to send me my last check, its been a month now , and still haven't received it, going to the labour board very soon. If you want to be used to the fullest extent , try this place,, good luck you'll need it.

Get one, you sit in your office all day , why don't you visit your sites, and show some kind of leadership, again what a joke of a company...

Security guard at golf course

Former Employee - Security Guard  in  Bedford, NS
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Bedford, NS

I worked at Garda World Security part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was easy work, not stressful or to demanding. I got to be outside in the sun all day out in the country. I never had to deal with anyone being violent or belligerent. My supervisor seemed like a nice, genuine guy

Cons

It was very boring work, mostly I just stood around. It was not fulfilling, and I definitely would not want to be doing it for the rest of my life.

Decent employment, but lots of room to improve

Current Employee - Security Guard  in  Hamilton, ON
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Hamilton, ON

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly management. The company values employee safety and training. Benefits are decent. Full-time employment is stable and reliable.

Cons

Hamilton area is ridiculously over-staffed. Part-time employment is abysmal. Cannot find job positions anywhere since there is a line-up of a hundred workers looking for positions ahead of you. Management rarely returns phone calls or emails. Frequent errors with payroll that take weeks to correct. Security guards are underpaid and have no room for upward growth. Majority of security guards have extremely poor language skills in an industry where clear communication is an absolute necessity.

Pay your employees a competitive wage. Stop hiring new employees when you're already over-staffed. Stop hiring under-trained and unqualified people for positions. Re-train your payroll staff.

Very Unprofessional Recruiters!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time

Pros

Nothing really, other than the location and free parking

Cons

Recruiters are very unprofessional, ask questions very irrelevant to position.
    Compensation offered well below market rate!

Hire people with experience to work on your Recruitment so that you can get best quality candidates hired.

Grey cup then floater then no shifts then "let go"

Former Employee - Security Guard  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Toronto, ON

I worked at Garda World Security part-time for less than a year

Pros

Got to meet some decent guards and had some relaxed sites. Uniforms are free and they offer free training, but you don't get paid for it.

Cons

Supervisors are control freaks and look for any faults. You're surrounded by uneducated people who think their cops, completely unorganized structure. No hours and you worked for minimum wage. The more experienced guards are cynical because they realized they can't be cops and they're stuck at Garda, so they end up taking it out on the newbies. You can tell no one wants to be there, even the guy who ran my orientation flat out told us he's trying to join tps. The atmosphere is just depressing and just plain negative.

What is there to say you guys offer contract security.

a little chaotic

Current Employee - Security Guard  in  Fort McMurray, AB
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Fort McMurray, AB

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

good place for experience, and can be employed quickly as there's always vacancies. Just get your security licence and you're good to go.

Cons

management out of touch and they dont care about employee issues. Incredibly high staff turnover, but that seems to be the norm in the security industry around here

spare a moment to listen to employee grieveances

Worked for Garda World Security? Contribute to the Community!