GameStop

2.9
1,434 Reviews

GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines
J. Paul Raines

Pros
  • We know what to recommend because every single one of us plays a lot of video games (in 221 reviews)

• I did check out games for research and give feedback based off my personal experience (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you're upper management you will only get 4-10 hours a week at best (in 128 reviews)

• Work / Life balance is not important, only delivery of moving targets (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun but Tough company to work for, overwhelming expectations at a store level

Former Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If your into video games, this is the place for you
    Their annual Store Manager Conference is a blast
    Co workers are usually fun people

Cons

As a store associate you need to educate customers on way too many things. Reservations, Trades, Pre-owned- loyalty card, and soon a credit card. Sometimes its overwhelming for employees and guests

Manager positions are O.K

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Annual conference. All expenses paid. Flight, Room, Meal, Thousands of dollars worth of free Games and merchandise.
    Great Hours for managers only.

Cons

Low pay(PART TIMERS)
    Low hours (PART TIMERS)
    pressure on performance

GameStop is unrelentingly corporate, but the people there are amazing.

Former Employee - Third Key in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best ways to get your foot in the door is to apply right before the Holidays, and then just work as hard as possible, taking any and all time offered. You'll be in an exhausting environment, but the people around you will have similar interests and passions, and your team will become a family.

Cons

Having to push pre-orders and rewards cards. Yes, there is a good reason behind this, but there is WAY too much importance placed on those numbers. It's like standardized tests not being a full representation of your value. It has NOTHING to do with how many games you sell, systems, or how great you are with customers. It just reflects how relentless you are with asking.

Provide clearer paths and open doors to upward movement in the company. Sometimes just letting the staff know that all they have to do is let you know they're interested in moving up is enough.

I wish there was more of a focus on career nurturing than just making sure your staff is filled at all times.

Fun people but hard work that has no promises to develop, expand and rise.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in La Mirada, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in La Mirada, CA (US)

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people employees and customers. Great personal growth opportunities. Good benefits

Cons

Too much opportunity to mess up and get terminated. Not much chance for rise within. All opportunity comes from outside.

Can't expect a store manager to have a life and run a store with so much hours piled on after the regular 44 has been worked.

Not A Good Company To Make A Career

Former Employee - Store Manager in North Hills, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in North Hills, CA (US)

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you love or are interested in video games, it's worthwhile and at times fun in terms of dealing and interacting with customers who also love video games. You get discounts on video games (both new and used) but not video game consoles. When I worked for the company, I definitely loved the employees/subordinates I worked with.

Cons

Terrible upper management, particularly District Managers. District Managers play favorites. The fact that a District Manager would promote somebody with a High School Diploma over somebody with a Bachelors Degree to Store Manager for the mere fact that he likes that particular person is ridiculous and downright wrong. Let's get one thing straight first, the company prefers to hire Store Managers externally so getting promoted to Store Manager is very difficult no matter how hard you work and show your worth.

If a store doesn't reach its numbers, don't use scare tactics towards the store managers and think that will change anything for the better. More likely than not, it makes things worse and stresses the employees. Show professionalism in what you do, be a coach, be a guide for success not failure. A good manager is somebody who is able to mediate and manage different personalities and egos. A good manager is somebody who offers guidance through the good and tough times. A good manager is not somebody in authority all the time - somebody who orders his/her subordinates to do this and that or scares people if they don't meet unrealistic or over the top expectations. Just be a GOOD MANAGER.

Why I finally quit

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Fullerton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Fullerton, CA (US)

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount on games, good loyal customers

Cons

Poor management, untrained staff members, lack of respect and professionalism for loyal employees

Thoroughly inspect candidates for Store Manager positions if they do not exist on the internet or have online profiles. My last Store Manager was followed by a string of identified counterfeit money, missing merchandise, clutter, and sexual harassment.

Poor management aside, this can be a very fun and enjoyable environment. Employees try their best to drive sales but due to demographics sometimes the goals are just not attainable.

Friendly coworkers, bad work environment.

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Northridge, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Northridge, CA (US)

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co workers to talk about games with.

15% off any item in store except consoles and pre-paid cards.

Freebies depending on the situation.

Cons

A bit too much work for new members to handle.

Some unrealistic expectations on work performance.

Little pay.

Try not to be too harsh on new employees. Give them more breathing room when they start. Only after a few months should they be expected to handle working on the cashier or alphabetizing especially during the holidays. I did enjoy working for you though, and I hope to do it again soon.

The fun of working with video games, the tedium of working retail.

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Torrance, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Torrance, CA (US)

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The fun of working with video games, and associating with other video game fanatics

Cons

The tedium of working retail can be wearying, but no more than any other job. Selling memberships and plans and the various upgrades is annoying, but every retail job is required to do it, so whatever.

Give workers more hours, especially if they're talented at selling memberships and upgrades.

Not as great as one would think

Former Employee - SGA in Torrance, CA (US)
    Former Employee - SGA in Torrance, CA (US)

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good for game knowledge, great cow-workers, and organized business model.

Cons

Pay was crappy considering I worked for 2 years and only got a 50 cent raise even though I made it to SGA while have a bachelor's degree. THEY DO NOT CARE IF YOU HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE EITHER. I was a hard worked SGA that was given 38 hours a week (just under full-time so I was unable to receive benefits). Also they are breaking of California labor laws, which is a huge issue that many ignore. As an opener you are alone in the store and can not leave the store to take your 10 minute break which the law states we are suppose to get. Also, we could get in trouble for closing the store for a few minutes to use the restroom because no other person was in the store at the same time. It's a huge class action lawsuit waiting to happen. I was never able to take my ten minute breaks as a manager because I wasn't allowed to leave the store to anyone that wasn't a keyholder. Personal life was also an issue because as a keyholder you have to work at the mercy of the stores needs.

Please consider paying employees much better than they make now. Be considerate of college degree employees. More pay and smarter planning will make your employees much happier and thus, more productive.

No chance to grow, no chance to shine.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, CA (US)

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with video games is fun, as a young guy, at first.

Cons

The management is deplorable, the system is outdated and unfriendly, and the opportunities they will bait you with are non existent.

You need to care about your employees more. Paying someone who has been working for you for 5+ years, and is doing the work of a manager (because you are too cheap to just hire a new manager/bring one in from another store) 8.90 an hour is terrible.