GTM Sportswear Reviews

Updated 14 April, 2015
45 reviews filtered by
2.6
David Dreiling

Almost a Year as a Graphic Designer, enjoyed working with them.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at GTM Sportswear part-time

Pros

Growing company that still is small enough to feel like a small business. Pay was really good

Cons

Didn't work with my schedule very well as a college student. Only required to work weekends occasionally during business season.

Development Internship at GTM

Former Intern - Front-End Developer Intern in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Former Intern - Front-End Developer Intern in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment. Co-workers were willing to help when I had a question. Everyone was open to me expressing my ideas and taking initiative to make things better. There was always plenty of relevant things to work on and was even given my very own project to complete.

Up to date on industry standards and the way teams of developers should interact with each other. Towards the end of my internship, we started using a different application to assign tasks and track the development process. It seems to work much better than the previous ways of performing Agile development.

GTM is very flexible about working with your personal schedule. As an intern, I was able to work when I could and they could decrease hours if I became overwhelmed with school.

I learned a lot here, and everyone was a pleasure to work with.

Cons

There was a lack of leadership at times. I wasn't always sure what I should be working on. In the beginning, there wasn't a lot for me to work on and I had many dull moments.

The parking situation sucks, especially during the seasonal employee time. The newer paved parking lot is in a very inconvenient spot for the art department and development team. The east paved parking lot is always full due to it's location to the building, and I could never find a spot there. The gravel parking lot is really hard on my car; It is impossible to leave or enter without hitting tons of pot holes.

Advice to Management

I would figure out a way to provide more training to new hires and interns.
    Provide better leadership to your interns and new hires. Make sure there is something for them to work on and they aren't just there twiddling their thumbs.

Embroidery Artist

Former Employee - Embroidery Artist in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Embroidery Artist in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair pay, great benefits - health care, profit sharing, 401k plan, free membership at local gym and discounts at some local restaurants.

Cons

Super fast past during busy season and a lot of seasonal workers coming and going. First shift starts a little early, at 7am but you get off at 3pm so that's nice.

Testing, but Rewarding

Former Employee - Production Laborer in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Production Laborer in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear

Pros

Many rewarding experiences, because on a great day it can be a challenging yet fulfilling job or career. Pleasurable environment in the heart of Kansas agriculture, planted a good seed in my career. As with any company, I experienced great highs and tough lows but was glad to see my superiors persevere in the thick of times. Good people with good objectives, with the unavoidable few "Debbie Downer" coworkers.

Cons

Tough economic times in the good old USA took its affect on many private companies over the last 6 years, and I was a part of a testing time that must have brought tough decisions on the labor force of America. GTM prospered in several areas, including adding an entire department that updated the latest processes of sportswear companies. Although I chose to move on, I owe a gratitude to GTM and to those who took a chance on me.

Advice to Management

Keep on finding the right workers of America, just as you did with me. Thank you.

Good company to work with, but they are currently experiencing some difficult times.

I have been working at GTM Sportswear

Pros

Great benefits, unique opportunities. Room to grow, and be a part of a local Kansas company.

Cons

No longer as stable as they were a few years ago. Sales incentive plans are lacking, and because of their current financial hardship many long time employees were let go.

Advice to Management

Work to build trust with your current employees. A lot of workers are currently looking for new jobs with other companies because we are scared and uncertain of our future with GTM.

GTM provides so many opportunities, never a dull moment!

I have been working at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is continuously looking for ways to be and do better, and employees are able to give ideas and take part in implementing new ideas, process, and projects. There are several ways we are able to express our ideas, and with so many helpful and just as eager people in other departments it makes it fun to try something new. The opportunities for growth are endless provided you go get them! I also appreciate the free on site health clinic and free gym membership.

Cons

The new and updated software system has been a little tough to get used to, but we are starting to see how it will give us better results and reporting, and the possibilities to do more later down the road.

Advice to Management

We know you all care about us and the company, thank you for everything you do to help.

8. Owner Disregards Working Conditions

Former Employee - Ultrafuse Press Operator in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Ultrafuse Press Operator in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Foot in the door job. Good for gaining experience for either art or design.

Cons

Owner is pride driven in decisions. HR and other Management ignored workers complaints at working with dangerous fumes in the Sublimation press room. Coworkers researched the standards for operating the sublimation equipment and learned that safety standards were not met at all. Negligence for quality of the work environment is shocking.

Advice to Management

Try not to force workers in a dangerous environment so money can be saved on not meeting the safety standards.

Great People To Work With

I have been working at GTM Sportswear

Pros

I love the people I get to work with! My 'coworkers' are my friends! They will tell me what I'm doing right or what I need to work on. I learn something new every day which will help me once I graduate from college. The supervisors are very flexible with my school schedule and activities

Cons

Sometimes I cannot find a parking spot during busy season which is frustrating.

Advice to Management

I absolutely love the fun events. Keep them coming please!

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and pay!
    Excellent opportunities for growth! Many of my co-workers have been promoted from entry level jobs which is encouraging to see.
    Team members are willing to go the extra mile to help one another which makes coming to work enjoyable!
    Most of the managers and supervisors that I work with are friendly, you can tell they Care!

Cons

Because of the seasonality of our work, many of the operational positions are temporary. Although most of the seasonal workers are retained at the end of the season, its sad to see some go.

Bad News.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manhattan, KS (US)

I have been working at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

On-site health clinic, gym membership (although this is ending soon), I have made good friends there, though anyone with any discernible talent is looking for opportunities elsewhere.

Cons

Poor senior management choices, mostly made by the owner himself, have led to financial dire straits. Unattainable growth goals, an ego driven vision (to be a $billion company) and implementation of software long before it was successful in a test environment have led to an overall plummet in morale. Whoever is posting these positive reviews are clearly from HR, it just seems fishy that a bunch of positive reviews popped up at the same time. This will likely be a dead end job for you, as career paths are nonexistent and we haven't had a pay increase in three years. It may be a good place to start right out of school for a resume builder, but beyond that, there is little opportunity, unless you are groomed and primed to not think for yourself and simply adapt the behaviors of the directors and VP's. Speaking of which, that is a totally dysfunctional team who cannot seem to get a cohesive direction. Executive turnover is unlike anything I've ever seen. VP's come and go with the wind, they either leave once they realize it is impossible to be effective in this environment, or they're fired because they think for themselves and try to implement their knowledge and experience. Team member turnover is astronomical, as well. Little incentive to stay when there is no personal growth opportunity and no financial rewards. The pay for nearly every position is far below industry standard.

Advice to Management

Get it together and work together to get us out of this mess. Ditch the billion dollar plan and build a better, more attainable, inspirational vision.