GEICO Reviews

Updated 30 October, 2014
3.1

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • the company offers a profit sharing plan which is the main driver to employee retention (in 197 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 26 reviews)

• When originally hired shift made for difficult work life balance (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunities for growth for determined & ambitious people! (claims)

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training process for claims is VERY thorough. I have heard differently about sales and service but my experience in training was 5 star. I felt very prepared once I got to the floor to do the job I was hired for. Also, I expressed interest in management during my interview due to my degree & previous management experience and I really felt like the HR recruiter, and my training and transitions managers fought to push me and other high performing associates forward--even telling me about positions that I hadn't heard about while I was still in training and encouraging me to apply. Once I was promoted, everyone was very supportive-- not like the "crabs in a barrel" mentality I've experienced with promotions at other jobs. I feel like a lot of how successful you can be at Geico depends on 2 things: what you put into it - you have to be high performing, ambitious and assertive- and what connections & impressions you make early on. It's important to know that going in. First impressions are VERY important.

Cons

Most of the positions (and I can really only speak to claims specifically) you can get hired for even with a degree are entry level. This can be discouraging for someone who has prior work -even management-experience and a degree.
    In addition to that, if you are one of those willing to speak up about process issues-- be prepared for most of that to go unheard. There are a lot of criteria that seem nit-picky related to performance on the floor and they constantly change the things you are judged on without communicating it. You can ask 5 floor supervisors & associates the same question and get 5 different answers on any given day. Some processes & criteria make no rational sense and aren't value-adding at all. You have to be able to slog through all that stuff and perform well despite it. I've also noticed that having a good supervisor and being on a high performing team is hit or miss and that stinks because it can affect your performance a lot, especially when you're new. But that is true of any job. Also if you don't like talking on the phones or public critiques then this wont be a good fit at entry level claims. You need a thick skin to work in customer service at any place but especially here.

Geico does a good job of soliciting regular feed-back in training and transitions, but it seems to taper off a LOT after that. As far as process improvement goes, you can never have too much feedback from the people actually applying those processes every day. Also communicating those process changes quickly and clearly is very important because nothing kills morale & performance more than being judged by an ever-changing invisible standard.

Generally nice people, good business practices

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Fredericksburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Fredericksburg, VA (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well run organization, so you learn a lot just through observation and being there everyday.
    Reasonable performance metrics and ability to advance through hard work.
    My manager was a delight to work with.
    I feel like things that I learned helped me with my later career at other organizations.

Cons

Sometimes ultra low cost mentality can be a bit of a nuisance, but I guess that's a result of the cost management

For your software systems, don't flip flop between architectures / codes all the time. It creates unnecessary cost and risk for the business (and stress for the IT employees). Get someone with a more balanced set of both technical and managerial skills for the top IT management team.

Best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They really aim to make every day fun but still work oriented. Great training, very positive environment, really cares about customers and employees, great health benefits, on site gym, nurse, HR, cafeteria, security, bank, and enterprise. Very stable career with so many opportunities for growth. College degrees make a difference and they will reimburse tuition for business degrees.

Cons

Dedication really matters. Non-dedicated individuals will have a harder time because everyone wants you to try your hardest and want more for yourself. Some people learn that after already digging their own hole.

Keep up the great work!

Love it

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunities galore!!! People are like family!

Cons

Feedback is inconsistent! Information needs to be more universal!

Train universal! Needs to be more consistent!

Great coworkers

I worked at GEICO

Pros

They feed you ALOT! You get raises as long as your numbers are good. Great co workers.

Cons

Not flexible with students. Managers only care about numbers

Care MORE about individual employees.

Great company to work for, tons of opportunity to advance

Current Employee - Glass Claims Representative in Macon, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Glass Claims Representative in Macon, GA (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Geico really tries to show their employees they appreciate them. During certain parts of the year the workload can get crazy and extra hours will be expected but the company knows how to show their gratitude.

Cons

It's s call center, so that speaks for itself. If being tethered to a phone all day doesn't bother you then no worries.

Analyst

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Macon, GA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Macon, GA (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement is great, benefits are good, stable company, competitive pay.

Cons

Depends on the department. I have had an above average experience in my 8 yrs at geico in 3 different departments.

None

Insurance Sales

Former Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They take very good care of their employees!

Cons

I do not agree with their hiring/firing process.

Great Company

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

+ Pay
    + Job Security

Cons

- None that I can think of

Great Place To Work

I worked at GEICO

Pros

The company is growing and there are very good opportunities to advance with the company. With a good number of regional offices, there may even be opportunities to relocate (mostly at your own expense) for opportunities as well. The training is top-notch. The benefits are great. The only exception to this would be their vision benefits. These are slated to change in 2015 though, and not sure how it will compare.

Cons

I like to think of the environment as being that of an "old business" and so some of the policies are very old-school. I would prefer a more flexible time off policy, but that's not to say what they offer is bad. The company's "low cost provider" mentality is, IMO, somewhat detrimental to advancements particularly in technology.