GEICO Reviews

Updated 29 September, 2014
3.1

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • the company offers a profit sharing plan which is the main driver to employee retention (in 197 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • When originally hired shift made for difficult work life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic pay/benefits with a growing company offering many advancement opportunities.

Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As an Auto Damage Adjuster with GEICO, I've discovered the following pros:
    - First and foremost, working as an Auto Damage Adjuster is the BEST entry-level job at GEICO by far. Most of the bad reviews I see on this site for this company are related to the call center cubicle jobs that can be inherently mundane and can have a high turn over rate.
    - Best-in-industry training set me up to hit the road running. I felt very comfortable coming out of training in an industry I've never worked in before. Body shops have also told me GEICO adjusters are noticeably more knowledgable coming out of training than other insurance company's adjusters.
    - Great pay and raises. Pay during training was good and the added overtime offered (which only better prepared me for the real job) made the total pay during training to be fantastic. The company rewards adjusters who do their job as expected. Within the first 12 months after training, the annual salary increased by almost $10k.
    - Benefits for myself and my family have been great. Medical/Dental/Vision coverage is offered. When my wife gave birth to our child, we only paid around $300 out of pocket for the hospital stay and everything else involved in the birth (ie charges for drugs and lab stuff).
    - It is not a desk job. It is refreshing not being stuck in a cubicle all day. I do have a work laptop I have to sit down with and write up estimates, respond to emails and work on other admin tasks, but much of the job is out and about in the body shops, face-to-face with customers, inspecting vehicles at tow yards or driving from place to place.
    - Work is not boring. The work day/week flies by and no two days are exactly the same.
    - A lot of room for growth within the company. GEICO is a large company and is still growing rapidly. This means a lot of opportunities to grow and promote within the company and there are always openings, in many different areas, all over the country.

Cons

- Auto Damage Adjuster training is rigorous. 12 weeks of training, with 4 weeks in Washington DC, was definitely a sacrifice for me and my family. GEICO paid for travel, hotel and food for me, but it was tough being gone for so long. My family could have gone with me (GEICO of course wouldn't cover their expenses, but they could have stayed in the same room as me), but that wasn't a viable option for us. During training there are tests pretty much everyday and high GPAs are required to maintain your spot in training, otherwise you're fired. This made for stressful days, but looking back on it, it is all doable and wasn't THAT bad.
    - Some days can be almost overwhelmingly busy. When reported claims are higher than normal (ie after a hail storm), we can have days or weeks that are extremely busy and have a high workload.

Stay ahead of the growth curve by making sure staffing needs are met.

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Auto Damage Field Adjuster  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Field Adjuster in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefit package and flexible

Cons

workload can get very Stressful

need to adequately staff territories

GREAT COMPANY FOR THE MOST PART

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great company to work for overall and Geico has great benefits with profit sharing on a yearly basis.

Cons

Can be stressful at times since you are required to meet certain metrics in your job which can sometimes be difficult.

Work life balance is hard depending again on the position.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Bad

Former Employee - Intern  in  Fredericksburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Fredericksburg, VA (US)

I worked at GEICO as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work, great benefits, some decent management

Cons

Slave hours, sometimes crack the whip. They just expect a ton of hard work. It's a call center, so not that great.

Eh

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

Great environment, easy cash for just a high school degree, very prosperous business

Cons

Poor internal transition to other jobs for degreed individuals

working for the gecko

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

the company offers a profit sharing plan which is the main driver to employee retention. they also offer excellent training in the industry.

Cons

expectations are aggressive and causes turnover. Management varies by area and has little change in middle to lower ranks of management.

Good environment

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Tulsa, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time for less than a year

Pros

No pounding the pavements to get customers. Great people to work for in Tulsa

Cons

compensation, even if you have over 20 years experience the money was still not very good to make a living on

Snr Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work hours, good profit-sharing benefit

Cons

Management need trained people, need a different corporate culture

Impartial and wise, less nepotism.

Friendly place to work with many opportunities.

Current Employee - Claims Examiner  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone is very nice and helpful. The company is growing very fast and there are plenty of opportunities for advancement if you are willing to work hard. Some members of management really care and try to help you grow. Profit sharing is great and very secure job as long as you perform decently.

Cons

High workload, especially for the Supervisor/Management prep programs. Base pay seems to be below industry levels but they do give profit sharing.

Good but...

Current Employee - Info Tech Department  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Info Tech Department in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No lay offs...company is smartly run for insurance, but not IT

Cons

Very cost conscious...to the point of ridiculousness...building is old and run down but everything else in the area is updated so it makes the building look worse.

Stop the insider tracks of promotions and advancement

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!