GEICO

GEICO Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely

Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • The benefits are very good with the best thing being the profit sharing(in 179 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life)(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider"(in 23 reviews)

• Had a long commute to the city where the call center was located(in 47 reviews)

Great company!

Employment Branding (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent place to start your career!

ConsThere aren't any cons that come to mind.

Good people, changes still needed

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Macon, GA (US)

ProsGreat co-workers, fun atmosphere, many opportunities to advance. Pay can be good based on the geographic location you work in. Always offering contests and incentives....in the sales department.

ConsSometimes advancement is based on who you know. When you reach management level you realize playing field is not even, can be very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on employee engagement

GEICO was a great experience

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Poway, CA (US)

ProsThey are very supportive of the home work balance. They truely care about about their employees. GEICO understands that if employees are happy then the company has much better likely hood of success.. compensation isn't bad but could be better.

ConsThe hours are harsh for sales and customer service.. Training is long and arduous at times.( necessary).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work for the most part .. Compensation should be a bit better considering what you are asking people to do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity for advancement as long as you are willing to put in the work for it.

Service (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ (US)

Pros- Great starting out pay for entry level positions.
    - Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life). Medical is currently offered through United and dental through Delta.
    - Yearly profit sharing (you must work for the company for a full year to qualify so it could be a year and some months before you see a check unless you start at the beginning of January).
    - College tuition reimbursement or you can take the 8 business classes required to be promoted into management on site that they will cover (and adjust your schedule for you to attend, if necessary) with no out of pocket expense.
    - Tucson currently has great opportunity for forward movement. In less than a year and a half, I have been promoted twice.
    - Upper level management has a open door policy and they mean it. You will get to know the managers as a entry level position employee. They make a point of making you feel you can come to them with any concern. The current Service Manager makes a point of walking through the buildings to say good night to everyone before he leaves. You can also look forward to visits from Tony Nicely and Warren Buffet. This is the best management atmosphere I have experienced from any job.
    - Ability to transfer to several different locations across the country via job posts.
    - GEICO is constantly offering incentives to their employees. Anything from gift cards, pot lucks, to bbq's. On site vendors are available certain days of the week for lunch to make it easy for the employees.
    - Constant feedback. Some people will see this as a negative, but I prefer feedback. There is no other way to judge your performance and make improvements if you do not receive feedback. Yes, it can be overwhelming to some, but I have found that it has helped me tailor my performance to receive the numbers I want.

Cons- Parking... with all of the new associates being hired, the parking situation has become a bit of a nightmare. GEICO is constantly seeking new areas for us to park and attempting to remedy the situation, but if your schedule is a afternoon or you leave site for lunch... it can be a nightmare to find a parking spot.
    - It can be hard sometimes not to take te customers mentally home with you. As with any call center you will have those customers that just ruin your day and cause your attitude to continue to be runined once you leave work. You have to be thick skinned and know how to let go of those customers. Not everyone will be a peach to deal with.
    - When changes to policy are implemented, it is done quickly. There is not much of 'learning curb' to give employees time to acclimate to the changes. You have to be adaptable and open to change.
    - A high level of quality is a must. Your calls (in every position where you touch a phone) will be monitored. In Service you will have an average of 17 calls monitored, of which you can only miss 3 for quality or you are going to have a very bad month. Not all calls are cookie cutter calls and you will not always know the correct answer. You do have a supervisors but a lot of the supervisors will have other projects they will be working on or they will be in meetings and may not necessarily be there if you have a question. It can be extremely stressful when it comes to the monitoring of your calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job of having an open door environment, definitely keep that up. Do give a little more of a learning curb time when new procedures are implemented for the employees to adapt before calls are scored down. Do ask the floor what they think about changes before implementing them to get a feel of how it will be accepted by the person doing the job.

Overall good

GEICO Sales Representative (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsBenefits, good opps to move upwards

Consvery micromanaged, you are attached to your phone all day

Advice to Senior ManagementLet up some- bring some employee-focus back in

It's who you know

TCR I (Former Employee) Lakeland, FL (US)

ProsProfit sharing, great benefits and great co workers.

ConsThere is still a lack of social justice. They tell you that hard work will get you promoted, but when you see people promoted on seniority rather performance it gets a bit frustrating. They say numbers are the deciding factor for promotion, but its seniority.

Good

ProsMoney, family, looking out for you

ConsPay
    Some of the staff
    Time Off

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

A comfortable, corporate environment performing somewhat simple tasks guided from the top-down.

Actuarial Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsThe culture is great: most everyone is friendly and pleasant, the environment is low-stress, and the dress is business casual; great actuarial study program (up to 80 hours paid study time per exam, paid study materials, bonuses/raises for passing exams); Free on-site gym access; flexible hours; 5 minute walk from Friendship Heights metro station,

ConsVery corporate structure (maybe you like this though); personalities don't seem to shine through. Repetitive monthly workload (due to the nature of car insurance). Sometime there is a lot of work to be done, but there is nothing to do often enough that it wears on you.

Awesome!!!!

Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY (US)

ProsThis company has great benefits, great atmosphere, great people, and appreciates their employees

ConsIt can be a very stressful job working with the customers, but if you can balance that you would be fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen making changes to procedure give staff a little more time to learn and acclimate.

The best customer service I have ever had.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ (US)

Prosthey did what was right for me.

ConsThere was no cons for Geico

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!