GEICO Reviews

Updated 16 September, 2014
3.1

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • The benefits are very good with the best thing being the profit sharing (in 180 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 23 reviews)

• Had a long commute to the city where the call center was located (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic pay/benefits with a growing company offering many advancement opportunities.

Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As an Auto Damage Adjuster with GEICO, I've discovered the following pros:
    - First and foremost, working as an Auto Damage Adjuster is the BEST entry-level job at GEICO by far. Most of the bad reviews I see on this site for this company are related to the call center cubicle jobs that can be inherently mundane and can have a high turn over rate.
    - Best-in-industry training set me up to hit the road running. I felt very comfortable coming out of training in an industry I've never worked in before. Body shops have also told me GEICO adjusters are noticeably more knowledgable coming out of training than other insurance company's adjusters.
    - Great pay and raises. Pay during training was good and the added overtime offered (which only better prepared me for the real job) made the total pay during training to be fantastic. The company rewards adjusters who do their job as expected. Within the first 12 months after training, the annual salary increased by almost $10k.
    - Benefits for myself and my family have been great. Medical/Dental/Vision coverage is offered. When my wife gave birth to our child, we only paid around $300 out of pocket for the hospital stay and everything else involved in the birth (ie charges for drugs and lab stuff).
    - It is not a desk job. It is refreshing not being stuck in a cubicle all day. I do have a work laptop I have to sit down with and write up estimates, respond to emails and work on other admin tasks, but much of the job is out and about in the body shops, face-to-face with customers, inspecting vehicles at tow yards or driving from place to place.
    - Work is not boring. The work day/week flies by and no two days are exactly the same.
    - A lot of room for growth within the company. GEICO is a large company and is still growing rapidly. This means a lot of opportunities to grow and promote within the company and there are always openings, in many different areas, all over the country.

Cons

- Auto Damage Adjuster training is rigorous. 12 weeks of training, with 4 weeks in Washington DC, was definitely a sacrifice for me and my family. GEICO paid for travel, hotel and food for me, but it was tough being gone for so long. My family could have gone with me (GEICO of course wouldn't cover their expenses, but they could have stayed in the same room as me), but that wasn't a viable option for us. During training there are tests pretty much everyday and high GPAs are required to maintain your spot in training, otherwise you're fired. This made for stressful days, but looking back on it, it is all doable and wasn't THAT bad.
    - Some days can be almost overwhelmingly busy. When reported claims are higher than normal (ie after a hail storm), we can have days or weeks that are extremely busy and have a high workload.

Stay ahead of the growth curve by making sure staffing needs are met.

Positive experience but highly competitive

Former Employee - GEICO Sales Representative  in  Woodbury, NY (US)
    Former Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Woodbury, NY (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits and opportunity for growth. Fair salaries. Generous company as far as free perks - company picnic, movie tickets, discounts. Easy to schedule time-off. Diverse and intelligent workforce. Market leader in every sense of the word. Definitely a "winning team."

Cons

A lot of rules. Very competitive culture surrounding profit sharing. This motivates the sales team to find ways to skirt around the rules to meet and exceed their numbers. It also creates a culture of exclusion which weeds out any employee who seems a threat to the highest profits possible. Not for everyone. If you are a highly competitive, reasonably intelligent and conservative person, you will probably do well here.

Your drive for numbers may be exceeding your humanity.

Not Bad

Former Employee - Intern  in  Fredericksburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Fredericksburg, VA (US)

I worked at GEICO as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work, great benefits, some decent management

Cons

Slave hours, sometimes crack the whip. They just expect a ton of hard work. It's a call center, so not that great.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Eh

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

Great environment, easy cash for just a high school degree, very prosperous business

Cons

Poor internal transition to other jobs for degreed individuals

Good environment

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Tulsa, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time for less than a year

Pros

No pounding the pavements to get customers. Great people to work for in Tulsa

Cons

compensation, even if you have over 20 years experience the money was still not very good to make a living on

Snr Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work hours, good profit-sharing benefit

Cons

Management need trained people, need a different corporate culture

Impartial and wise, less nepotism.

working for the gecko

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

the company offers a profit sharing plan which is the main driver to employee retention. they also offer excellent training in the industry.

Cons

expectations are aggressive and causes turnover. Management varies by area and has little change in middle to lower ranks of management.

Friendly place to work with many opportunities.

Current Employee - Claims Examiner  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone is very nice and helpful. The company is growing very fast and there are plenty of opportunities for advancement if you are willing to work hard. Some members of management really care and try to help you grow. Profit sharing is great and very secure job as long as you perform decently.

Cons

High workload, especially for the Supervisor/Management prep programs. Base pay seems to be below industry levels but they do give profit sharing.

Very good

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Fredericksburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fredericksburg, VA (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits and availability to move around inside the company. Vacation time. Fmla. Getting experience in multiple fields.

Cons

Very to the book. No room for failure. Must be on time. Goal oriented. Not very stable workforce.

Treat all the same

Amazing

Current Employee - Liability Claims Representative  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Liability Claims Representative in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great promotion opportunity! Job security, great feedback, continuous improvement, positive industry outlook, great customer interaction, amazing compensation

Cons

If you don't like feedback, including constructing feedback, you won't do well here

Keep up the good work!

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!