GEICO

Updated 18 November, 2014
3.1

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • the company offers a profit sharing plan which is the main driver to employee retention (in 197 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 26 reviews)

• When originally hired shift made for difficult work life balance (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Start a Career

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of time spent training employees and making sure they are familiar with the processes. Leadership varies, depending on what department you are in, but there is opportunity for growth. However, turnover is low so management positions are not offered frequently. Promotions are steady and evaluated each year, though pay increases are very limited. It is a great place to start your career since entry level pay is competitive, a lot of young and fresh team members, strong corporate culture, and the place has a very slow and steady pace to make for a good transition from college to professional.

Cons

Once you get the hang of things, things can get monotonous and kind of boring.

They've built a great corporate culture in the past, but things are getting too bureaucratic that it hinders on innovation and creativity.

Great opportunities for growth for determined & ambitious people! (claims)

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training process for claims is VERY thorough. I have heard differently about sales and service but my experience in training was 5 star. I felt very prepared once I got to the floor to do the job I was hired for. Also, I expressed interest in management during my interview due to my degree & previous management experience and I really felt like the HR recruiter, and my training and transitions managers fought to push me and other high performing associates forward--even telling me about positions that I hadn't heard about while I was still in training and encouraging me to apply. Once I was promoted, everyone was very supportive-- not like the "crabs in a barrel" mentality I've experienced with promotions at other jobs. I feel like a lot of how successful you can be at Geico depends on 2 things: what you put into it - you have to be high performing, ambitious and assertive- and what connections & impressions you make early on. It's important to know that going in. First impressions are VERY important.

Cons

Most of the positions (and I can really only speak to claims specifically) you can get hired for even with a degree are entry level. This can be discouraging for someone who has prior work -even management-experience and a degree.
    In addition to that, if you are one of those willing to speak up about process issues-- be prepared for most of that to go unheard. There are a lot of criteria that seem nit-picky related to performance on the floor and they constantly change the things you are judged on without communicating it. You can ask 5 floor supervisors & associates the same question and get 5 different answers on any given day. Some processes & criteria make no rational sense and aren't value-adding at all. You have to be able to slog through all that stuff and perform well despite it. I've also noticed that having a good supervisor and being on a high performing team is hit or miss and that stinks because it can affect your performance a lot, especially when you're new. But that is true of any job. Also if you don't like talking on the phones or public critiques then this wont be a good fit at entry level claims. You need a thick skin to work in customer service at any place but especially here.

Geico does a good job of soliciting regular feed-back in training and transitions, but it seems to taper off a LOT after that. As far as process improvement goes, you can never have too much feedback from the people actually applying those processes every day. Also communicating those process changes quickly and clearly is very important because nothing kills morale & performance more than being judged by an ever-changing invisible standard.

Great Experience/High Stress Job

Former Employee - Liability Claims Adjuster in Macon, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Liability Claims Adjuster in Macon, GA (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. There are many advancement opportunities. Fast growth potential early. Excellent training programs for the job. Good Wages for the area.

Cons

The workload is unreasonable. Your results are set by company goals which can be unobtainable or not within your control. Workload and goals make it almost impossible to be a "Team Player". Constant pressure to succeed. Company growing pains causing many Management re-assigning. Too much negative feedback with little positive feedback.

"It is easy to find things wrong. Look for the things that are right"

Great company to work for, great benefits. Very focused on numbers and goals.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, Benefits. Great support for career development

Cons

Strict "percentage" based attendance and huge focus on numbers

geico is a great atmosphere

I worked at GEICO

Pros

geico has a great company culture.

Cons

Work can be tedious at times

Legal secretary

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits! GEICO offers medical dental insurance, 401K and profit sharing. You have the opportunity to work with attorneys and learn from them. This is a good place to work if you want to be an attorney or if you just graduated.

Cons

There's no room for growth, unless you move to Lakeland, Florida where there corporate office is located. It's really hard to get a a raise or get promoted. There's no annual review.

GEICO should open a corporate office in Miami.

Best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They really aim to make every day fun but still work oriented. Great training, very positive environment, really cares about customers and employees, great health benefits, on site gym, nurse, HR, cafeteria, security, bank, and enterprise. Very stable career with so many opportunities for growth. College degrees make a difference and they will reimburse tuition for business degrees.

Cons

Dedication really matters. Non-dedicated individuals will have a harder time because everyone wants you to try your hardest and want more for yourself. Some people learn that after already digging their own hole.

Keep up the great work!

Love it

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunities galore!!! People are like family!

Cons

Feedback is inconsistent! Information needs to be more universal!

Train universal! Needs to be more consistent!

Great coworkers

I worked at GEICO

Pros

They feed you ALOT! You get raises as long as your numbers are good. Great co workers.

Cons

Not flexible with students. Managers only care about numbers

Care MORE about individual employees.

Great company to work for, tons of opportunity to advance

Current Employee - Glass Claims Representative in Macon, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Glass Claims Representative in Macon, GA (US)

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Geico really tries to show their employees they appreciate them. During certain parts of the year the workload can get crazy and extra hours will be expected but the company knows how to show their gratitude.

Cons

It's s call center, so that speaks for itself. If being tethered to a phone all day doesn't bother you then no worries.