G2 USA
www.g2.com New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

G2 USA Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2014

Harvey Kipnis

Pros:
  • "hard working people who want to deliver the best work possible"
    in 4 reviews
  • "G2 has some very bright and talented people across a range of disciplines"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management seem to live in an insular dreamland and are visible to only a very few"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Politics with upper management and or lack of communication"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sinking Ship

Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at G2 USA full-time for more than a year

ProsMost of the employees were good people. The pay was not terrible. The location (which has since changed) was great.

ConsManagement didn't seem to know what they were doing. There was no communication at all. We would get messages stating "Big News Coming Soon" then never hear anything again. Important information like changing of benefits was included in mass corporate emails with no type of personal follow up.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your ship in order. Don't profess there will be big news just because the company is invited back to a pitch. Don't do thinks like take away someones insurance when they have a pregnant wife.

Good colleagues, terrible Sr. Leadership

Strategist (Former Employee)

I worked at G2 USA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of job experience and variety of clients.

ConsPoor Sr. Leadership, communication, career pathing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bickering and fighting trying to scratch out your fiefdoms.

One of my favorite work experiences. The people made the place.

Principal Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at G2 USA full-time for less than a year

ProsGood People, Fun Work, Nice Office

ConsNo loyalty to employees. When project work was done, if there was no work employees were laid off

Great learning experience

Business Development (Former Employee)

I worked at G2 USA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of Talent. Great teamwork environment. Even though some nights were late, it was almost fun to work there

ConsHigh turnover because management didn't really know how to manage at the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with younger people - we have ideas!

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at G2 USA

Prosgood offices, fun work environment, gone too soon

ConsWish the LA office had lasted longer.

G2 is not a great place to work.

Account Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at G2 USA full-time for more than a year

Prosfun people
cool location (when it was in the flatiron district)

Conspoor management
very title oriented
senior management ignores issues that are brought to their attention

Toxic Atmosphere Since the Move & Restructuring

I have been working at G2 USA full-time

ProsOne of the best parts of G2 was its location in the Flatiron. That all changed with the restructuring and name change to Geometry Global and ultimately it's move to The Chocolate Factory - 636 11th Ave. The Chocolate Factory is not being utilized by Geometry Global nor are its perks being fully communicated to employees. Currently I am not sure there are any pros at Geometry Global. Possibly company culture and work/life balance is still one of its strengths, but it's too early to tell. The move and restructuring has certainly changed things and not for the best.

ConsCertainly a lot of cons since the move. There has been almost no communication of any kind since the move from any of the company's executives. CEO Harvey Kipnis has been practically silent and there have been neither encouraging words nor praise how well everyone has adapted and been pitching in with the difficulties the office move placed on everyone - none. Employee morale is at an all-time low and it's getting worse every day. Employees are resigning at a staggering pace and no one seems concerned about retention. The atmosphere is dour and almost toxic. While there has always been an imbalance between upper management and the employees of G2 it seems to have gotten worse since Geometry Global was born. Executives act like spoiled brats, literally throwing temper tantrums when and if they are even around. There are a few executives who should be let go or should resign for the good of the company and who knows maybe that will even happen with the transition that is taking place. Along this line one of the most troubling aspects of Geometry Global is its CFO wields too much power and in many ways really is the CEO. This must change for the good of the company. Ultimately Geometry Global must jettison bad eggs who are bringing the company down and driving great talent away. There is so much potential that ultimately remains stymied by ego and politics. In the long run the restructuring under the Ogilvy family, the merger with Ogilvy Action and JWT Action and moving to The Chocolate Factory will go down as one of the worst business decisions in advertising history.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your people. Since the Executive Director of Corporate Communications was fired you have left your greatest assets, the employees of Geometry Global, in the dark even more so than before. No one knows what is going on and Town Hall Meetings every two months aren't cutting it. The intercompany website needs updated - so do it. Reward employees who deserve it and get rid of the ones who are nothing but trouble and please do the same with yourselves. Have an anonymous suggestion box where folks can safely share ideas and begin to implement some of those ideas. Stop rewarding lousy executives and start communicating with your people.

Does anyone have a plan? If so, care to share it?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at G2 USA full-time

ProsSome very smart account people and talented hard working creatives. Regular training / seminars. Good benefits. Generally pleasant working conditions.

ConsLong hours and unrealistic expectations for some departments, inability to manage client relationships profitably, process resulting in over delivery and ridiculous burn out rates. The recent move to 46th and 11th from Flatiron caused a slew of resignations by good people. A sense of trepidation daily about when the other shoe is going to drop. Paranoia, nepotism and blatant favoritism abound.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough there are regular Town Hall meetings held by upper level, mid-level management is either out of the loop or not letting those in their groups know what is going on. It would be really helpful to those who are still there, and to attract good people in the future, if staffing plans, hiring approvals, HR process and review stuck to what is published on the internal portal. Also, an anonymous ethics committee or hotline might encourage reporting of seemingly questionable practices that affect overall morale negatively. To put it bluntly, the favoritism needs to stop or at least be addressed.

Depends on your team

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at G2 USA full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some really smart, good, and dedicated people who work there. But working with them and on a great team is hit/miss.

ConsCurrently not a great place to work. Laid off a lot of people over the last year and is currently merging with OgilvyAction to compensate for loss of businesses.

Has been a top-down company for the last couple of years who don't hire the right top people to run the businesses. Folks low on the totem pole work hard but without reward. Folks high on totem pole don't make the right decisions or support their team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to stay in touch with the folks who are actually doing the work. Offer support and proper compensation.

Designer

I have been working at G2 USA full-time

ProsIt's more work/life balance compares to other agencies. Office is good.

ConsSalaries are low. And not enough raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the benefits. Respect your people.

Worked for G2 USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at G2 USA reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for G2 USA CEO Harvey Kipnis. All 51 reviews are posted anonymously by G2 USA employees.