Fujitsu America

Updated 21 October, 2014
2.6

Fujitsu America President and CEO Robert D. Pryor
Robert D. Pryor

Pros
  • There is a focus on work life balance and virtual work is the norm (in 5 reviews)

• Lots of good people in the consulting ranks willing to help in a collaborative manner (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very detached upper management and micro managing middle management (in 4 reviews)

• Siloed, general poor employee morale (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Solid, no nonsense, and a bit unfashionable

Current Employee - Engineering Director in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Director in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Fujitsu America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fujitsu is coming up on 80 years of existence, so you know it can't be poorly run. Fujitsu has a deep commitment to quality, and honestly cares about the customer, from the top of the organization to the bottom, it is not just lip service. Fujitsu also cares about employees and takes a long term view of this relationship. This kind of stability is rare in Silicon Valley. Fujitsu is not about flashy new fashionable technology, but instead a deep commitment to working together and truly solving the problems that the customer has.

Cons

Fujitsu is not a hip start-up. It is a big company, and tends to move very slowly and conservatively, unable to ride the latest trends. You will not find the thrill of a high tech start-up working at the bleeding edge with the very latest, trendiest technology, but instead you will find relatively solid, conservative, and well understood technology that functions without the risk of being an early adopter. In most of the world Fujitsu is an IT superpower that everyone knows about, but in America Fujitsu has a special challenge in that it is relatively unknown. This clash inhibits the kinds of publicity stunts that smaller, hipper start-ups use to market their products. As a predominantly hardware company, software is another area that presents a challenge.

Fujitsu is very strong in Engineering, and the hardware technology is great, but the ability to get that message to the general market is weak. Fujitsu has an internal culture that it is a dominant force in the market is never reconciled with the fact that very few Americans even know it exists. The average person on the street will mistake Fujitsu for Fuji Film. Fujitsu *should* be a household name, but in America at least it is not. If it was better known, then the strong engineering talent would be in a better position.

Worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Fujitsu America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'm struggling with this one. Outside of a few select individuals that I worked with while I was there, there's really nothing to write home about.

Cons

Where do I start? Comp is well below market (no equity, only a small subset of Sr level employees are paid bonuses, and base salaries are extremely low). Mediocre talent throughout from leadership to the rank and file. It's a highly political environment - employees constantly backstabbing one another. Financial performance is weak - revenue targets consistently missed, market share is diminishing, spending and hiring freezes at least once a quarter. Facilities are outdated and neglected - (company doesn't provide cups for water or coffee you have to bring your own). Systems are outdated.

Advice to Fujitsu Japan - remove current executive team and Fujitsu America and replace with leaders that understand the N. America market, know how to motivate and inspire employees, provide competitive comp plans to attract strong talent, remove weak and/or mediocre talent (i.e. those that are just buying time and collecting paychecks), improve infrastructure (systems, facilities, etc...).

Things getting worse: politics, vindictive thinking, vaporware

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Fujitsu America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not much to like, especially in IT department.

Cons

The new CFO who manages IT too, is not equipped to be a leader. She is vindictive, has no real plan, thinks short-term and has already lost a few key folks in IT because of lack of trust.

Find a new CFO and have her let the CIO manage the IT department.

Stable and Friendly Work Envinronment

Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Fujitsu America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are many people who have been with company for over 10+ years. People are friendly, many working parents with children (small or big). There are opportunities to change a job within a company, since this company is big and has various subsidiaries, etc.

Cons

There are opportunities to change a job within the company, however, the promotions are somewhat limited. Japanese employees from Fujitsu in Japan have more say in everything and all the important decisions are made in Japan.

Solutions Manager

Current Employee - Solutions Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Fujitsu America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company and culture, great benefits

Cons

Long hours, instant gratification expected

Keep up with the vision and stategies

Round after round of Sr leadership trying to fix a company in a mature or declining industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Fujitsu America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the lower level people are great (although there are a few "bad apples" in the mix). The majority of the individual contributors are hard working and dedicated. Unfortunately, I think this masks the desperate situation the technology and business processes are in. Salaries are competitive for the most part. Work schedule can be flexible if you live outside of an office area.

Cons

Too many to count. This is certainly a situation of "the cobbers children going without shoes". Fujitsu sells technology solutions and services to its clients but its own systems are a huge mess. Many people in the organization are very difficult to work with. Some departments are at war with other departments and try to sabotage them.

Stop enabling the political actions that go on between departments. Get a system that works across all of the boundaries. Treat people better.....we can and will leave the company.

Good Salaries, old Technology

Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Fujitsu America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay high salaries at least 20% over bay Area (average is $170K/year for manager), 5 weeks vacations for 10 years plus employee

Cons

Lay off people who they don't like, so it doesn't matter if you are working or not, if the boss like you, you are set.

Keep the good employee, not just the one you like

Stick a Fork in it. It's Done.

Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Fujitsu America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some people are very bright and you can learn new things from them. Company provides training and courses that can expand your knowledge.

Cons

Low employee morale caused by the constant threat of surprise layoffs. One day they give you 10-year achievement award, the next day you clean your desk. I literally witnessed such situation here.
    Promotions are unheard of. The same goes for the raises. They pay low, and don't give reasonable COLA increases, constant emergency "pay freezes."
    I had an extremely rude and unprofessional supervisor with the history of anger and hostility toward subordinates and coworkers. I went to complain to his boss. The boss told me "well, you know, that's how he is." Are you kidding me? The company knows about his unacceptable behavior, but would not do anything to correct it! Unbelievable! After I quit I found out that he's a part of the good old boys club so he's pretty much untouchable. This is worse than nepotism!

Throw in the towel. Fujitsu does many things, none of them well.

Bad company to grow your career at

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Fujitsu America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of free time, Decent Japanese food

Cons

Company lacks direction, No innovation, employees are treated like disposables, no career or salary growth, Poor leadership skills within management, below average compensation, these guys are all over the place and not good at anything. Getting up and going to work everyday is like going to hell and coming back.

Lead, Lead - Respect your employees and value them.

I was given a chance to learn many new things.

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Fujitsu America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A very good working environment.

Cons

Sales had hard time promoting some products.

Depend more on engineering to help sell the products.

Fujitsu America Photos