Fred Meyer

Fred Meyer Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Fred Meyer President Lynn Gust

Lynn Gust

Pros
  • they have good benefits and care a lot about their employees(in 18 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you're working part time(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • It's very difficult to get into a full-time situation there(in 12 reviews)

• Too much staff so there is not enough hours for all part time employees(in 11 reviews)

Gainful employment for a number of years.

Fruit Cutter (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsGood opportunities for growth if interested. Flexible with school schedules.

ConsFrequently hard working conditions can be difficult to overcome. Management is sometimes inexperienced and unwilling to accept input from experienced associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementEducate and train management to handle situations wisely.

A good place to work

Food Clerk (Current Employee) Burlington, WA (US)

ProsGood pay and benefits. Pretty good team, a few slackers should be dealt with. Unfortunately the management is afraid of the union, and will not deal with bad employees.

ConsFrequent Managment turnover wears on a person. The managers work against each other to try to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork as a team and you all will go further. Hold all employees accountable, and you will be able to fix or get rid of the bad ones. Inconsistent application of policy causes bad employees to continue their behavior.

Excellent coworkers and caring staff

Front End Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsAs my first experience in the retail industry, Fred Meyer has been one of the best. My coworkers are pretty much all fantastic. It's a union job, which should speak for itself. The PICs are really understanding to your situation. Most of the customers seem friendly.

ConsUsually, hours aren't regular. I mostly work evenings, but I've also been thrown into morning shifts a few times. Like most retail businesses, there are some nasty customers, but as long as you can just move on from the last customer, you'll be fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementI haven't worked here for super long, but for the length of time that I have been here I really enjoy working here.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good company to work for

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, room to move up and gain additional skills, training provided, good people to work with

Conssometimes can be hard to get training, if they want you gone they can find a reason (even a small one), more work and less associates

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand meeting financial goals but give stores more hours to provide better customer service which will bring your customers back ... also pay better, you pay ok but look at companies like Costco who pays really well and those associates don't want to leave and customers love their company.

sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Juneau, AK (US)

ProsFriendly employees, reasonable expectations, willingness to help people on a local level.

ConsMiddle managers often stressed, and it affects everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure schedules allow for coverage of breaks and lunches, and there is a plan in give timely breaks. It improves employees' health and moral.

Fun to work for.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsVery friendly managers and co-workers. Pretty stable job and schedule. Good pay for starters.

ConsLong orientations
    Can be very slow paced sometimes

Customer Service is not number one

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pocatello, ID (US)

Proslove the otherEmployees, and most of the customers, family comes first with Fred Meyer, Pay and benfits are great, pay raises are very decent and you can get a raise fast. part time employees get insurance, A family of 5 can get Medical. Dental, vision, Life and 401k for less then 200.00 a month

ConsCashiers are suppose to be speedy, wich leads to tendonitis, which the company seems not Too care, they just want the customers in and out A.S.A.P. too much stress on manangement and employees, to reach the ring up goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore brownie points for employeesTreat the employees with more respect, Make customer service number one again, Not worry about being the fastest check out in town. Think of the injuries that can occur from repetition and too speedy , and less time worring about bounses, we strive on injury free, so dont make the cashiers go so fast.

flexible hours, fun environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosflexible hours, people are fun to work with

Consupper management not well organized

I enjoyed working for Fred Meyer

Department Lead (Former Employee)

ProsYou can make some lifetime friends. Love the customers.

ConsAs with any company there are good Managers and bad.

High starting exceptions, however they did not pan out.

CCK Cashier (Current Employee) Marysville, WA (US)

ProsAs an entry level job, the work environment is good. I received three days of training before I ever stepped behind a register on my own. The management treated me fairly and all my fellow workers always seemed pretty relaxed at work. If you work there long enough, they also have fair health benefits.

ConsOver hanging corporate restrictions from parent company. Many goals such as speed in a check-stand, are given more attention then customer service. This is my story, even though I never showed up late, or called in sick. My customer service and bagging were both rated above average. But because my performance score, though it was improving, i started at a score of 60 (with 100, being the goal) and when they let me go I was 60 days into my 90 day probationary period and my score was 85. The store director felt my improvement was not significant enough to continue my employment, they felt i had already maxed out my potential and terminated me on the spot, without continuing my probationary period.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to understand that the value of an employee in customer service, goes beyond speed.

Worked for Fred Meyer? Contribute to the Community!