Fred Meyer Reviews

Updated 25 August, 2014

3.5

Fred Meyer President Lynn Gust
Lynn Gust

Pros
  • they have good benefits and care a lot about their employees (in 18 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you're working part time (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • It's very difficult to get into a full-time situation there (in 12 reviews)

• Too much staff so there is not enough hours for all part time employees (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

love the team work and the people

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

long hours, but the I love it

Cons

long hours but love the people love my job

great job

Pretty solid job and experience

Former Employee - Pharmacy Intern  in  Burien, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Burien, WA (US)

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of help in the pharmacy, workers are friendly and a close-knit group of people, fast pace.

Cons

It does get busy and the area's customers are pleasant for the most part but some customers you just cannot please.

Educational

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Fairbanks, AK (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Fairbanks, AK (US)

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I like how diverse the people are. No matter what type of person you are you;ll find a friend. Awesome inhouse hiring. Managers are always there to listen.

Cons

Not a lot of ways to move up. Pay is based on hours worked, not on performance. There are other departments to work in but if you're not someone who likes change that can suck.

Stop trying to control every little thing about how we provide customer service. Not everyone loves to be pestered with constant surveys. Give a little wiggle room and let us show you how real people want to be treated.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many opportunities for working families. Love the medical benefits even when working part time.

Current Employee - Price Changer  in  Renton, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Price Changer in Renton, WA (US)

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like working here because I enjoy my job. There are many career opportunities. They are a successful company that constantly evolves with the times. We have great benefits including holiday pay, vacation pay, sick leave, special discounts, medical, dental, vision, and stock options.

Cons

Like every business sometimes the wrong people are put in the wrong place and they do not follow the guidelines and the core vision of the company. Treating people right.

Implementing a program where as many fulltime employees will be utilized as possible. Giving people set schedules with two days off in a row for accepting a full time position and more responsibility. It is a win win you get employees who are happy they take care of the business because the company takes care of them.

Decent place to work for students, young people, or those with no ambition (deli department clerk)

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

During my three years at this company, I faced all the usual frustrations of retail work: a never-ending onslaught of demanding customers, a constant shortage of time for completing tasks, and management incompetence. Those are not "cons," but exactly what you should expect in a retail environment. It's better than working at Walmart, that's for sure. I genuinely believe the company cares about its people. The pay is competitive (but hey, this is a retail business, so don't get your hopes up). There are opportunities for advancement, even for the lowliest employee, providing you show some promise. Generally, time-off requests are honored outside "blackout" periods. My department manager was very flexible about scheduling hours around my school schedule, and I was very satisfied with her as my supervisor.

Cons

I could list several problems I noticed while working here, but they would probably apply to every retail business. My coworkers were, for the most part, lazy do-nothings who only cared about earning their paychecks. People call in sick constantly, simply because they don't feel like working. If you care at all about your work, you will constantly be frustrated as you watch your fellow workers doing a shoddy job or failing to respect the customer. Management can also make your life difficult, as they roll out new programs out of the blue and expect you to be totally on-board, even though they never asked for your input on the project. I watched several promotions that were DOA because nobody bothered to ask those of us on the front line whether it was feasible or what the customers were looking for.

Management should try to solicit employee input on new or radical promotions before committing to a full roll-out. I understand that the company wants to give customers a uniform experience across all locations, since programs like the "taste of Mexico" were a disaster at my store. Also, the store management team must learn not to bounce between aloofness and over-bearing micro-management.

Depends on your location...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It really depends on your store because in some locations they will seek out and train those who deserve it while in other locations (such as Lake City) they will train those who are buddies with management who may or may not truly deserve the promotions. It's a Union company so the pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Poor management. Gross favoritism and so much store politics that you feel suffocated. It's a Union company so people who slack off or don't deserve their jobs get to keep them under the protection of the union.

Know your employees. Get out of the office. Work to get respect, don't just expect to be respected because you're a manager.

Stable job with opportunities for growth or change.

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk  in  Vancouver, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Vancouver, WA (US)

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with and all of the opportunities available.

Cons

Pay is my department is low.

Work harder on developing employees for management positions.

Fairly Standardized Employment

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  East Wenatchee, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in East Wenatchee, WA (US)

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time for less than a year

Pros

The great thing about this company is they focus on several things at once, but in such a way that each employee can keep up. The basics are customer service, quality, and overall sales (the usual).

Cons

Certain jobs in Fred Meyer are Union, and some are not. Training tends to be lacking, and God help the person who works in a department with its own cash register. I was there 2 months and never got to go through the cash register training class required to be allowed to even touch the registers.

Figure out how to work WITH your employees, and communicate with them better.

Public Affairs

Former Employee - Public Affairs  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Public Affairs in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance most of the time.

Cons

Supervisor didn't have experience in supervising and wasn't interested in laws, policies, or job descriptions. Supervisor was demeaning and rude although most everyone who meets her (and does not work for her) thinks she is SO nice. She needed an administrative assistant to keep her organized and some supervisory training. Front end P.I.C.s get more training in supervising humans than she had.

There needs to be supervision of supervisors in the main office. Mine was getting away with murder because no one was paying attention.

Decent Job

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk  in  Bellingham, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Bellingham, WA (US)

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, easy online schedule, co-workers were all nice.

Cons

Made minimum wage, got hours cut, and the work gets tedious after awhile.

Worked for Fred Meyer? Contribute to the Community!