Four Seasons

Updated 6 February, 2015
3.4

Four Seasons CEO Allen Smith
Allen Smith

Pros
  • Great benefits, employee purchasing of hotel amenities and comp nights to all hotels (in 22 reviews)

• there perks that the company give you such as nights away in any four seasons hotel around the world is mind blowing (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a little "off" depending on what department you work in (in 25 reviews)

• The very high standards that must be kept, the very long hours and working with many people at once (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

24 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great Company to work with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great brand reputation globally. Strong and knowledgable leadership and great culture.

Cons

Salary and Benefit are just average if compared within industry.

Negativity

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Four Seasons

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, free nights in hotels

Cons

Since it was a union, everyone was very negative about working there. I was being trained by a man who has been there for 30 years. On my first day I was told to not trust anyone there.

The company culture, which was once set in stone, is now a moving target.

I have been working at Four Seasons

Pros

Focus on global and regional issues and decisions is exciting
    Lots of opportunity to make a difference
    Travel opportunities (for work/play) are unparalleled

Cons

Bureaucracy has increased significantly in recent years
    Management are a little detached from their teams

Talk to your people

Flexibility is an absolute must.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In my two years with Four Seasons I have worked in multiple departments. Mostly in the rooms division, but I also spent a bit of time in F&B. Management is supportive. Benefits are okay, and hourly wages are quite good and competitive. Complimentary nights at any FS property are my favourite perk. I like how there is the option to transfer to different departments as I do not like to stay in the same position for too long. Human Resources is really great.

Cons

Getting time off is a huge hassle. I've missed every holiday (with the exception of one Christmas) and countless celebrations such as birthdays, graduations, etc. This is definitely an industry con, but it is also a Four Seasons con as I find management doesn't bother to think outside of the box to help give you these special days off once in a while. I'm a very reliable employee. I've called in sick once (in two years!!!) and only request two or three days off per year. I also volunteer to work at every event put on by the hotel and I feel that I am never recognized for it by management (aside from HR recognizing me).

One big con in is that employees do not work as a team. Everyone is there to put in their eight hours and go home. It is a very cold and lonely feeling as co-workers are also not afraid to point fingers. Not only is it stressful enough to work in a leading hotel company by giving our guests flawless and intuitive service, but it also feels like I need to please my senior co-workers with their personal preferences so they do not try to make me appear bad to management. I can handle my own workload, but I wish we could work as a team to deliver even better service to our guests, and to make a very demanding work place feel like a second home.

When we are short staff, which feels like most of the time, they really work you to the bone. We were short staff in quarter 3 and some of 4. (July/August/September/October) In one month I worked six days every week and it wasn't uncommon to work 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 day scheduled stretches (no overtime). You are able to say no to overtime and you don't have to come into work on your day off when someone else calls in sick, but I was scared to say no because I felt like I had to try very, very hard to be liked and to be seen as a good, solid worker. Luckily I am young an have the energy for this work and do not have kids. I don't think I could have this job if I had a family to take care of.

Please hire more employees. Please check in with employees one on one to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Great company, bad department

I worked at Four Seasons full-time

Pros

Corporate office has a lot of perks, and a positive attitude.

Cons

Floors don't communicate with each other, and are in a constant state of in-fighting. Capital Planning and Procurement department is a the forefront of the in-fighting, often advising their team members not to communicate with anyone on another floor.

Good

I worked at Four Seasons

Pros

Good work environment. Beautiful office building with catering on site.

Cons

Need an office in downtown Toronto. Location is in the middle of no where.

Great Canadian Company with a great culture.

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Four Seasons Provides great training, and has really good benefits, and a great sense of community involvement. It also has a very good company culture.

Cons

Low pay for the number of hours worked and volume of work to be completed. Bottom line of the company is profit, and since the third party owners decide where the money is to be spent, it's hard to be motivated to do well in your own role and department, when it's clear they only care about the guests in the end. Not enough resources available as the property is very tightly budgeted, and it's hard to get the job done. In the end, the lower salary unfortunately outweighs all the pros.

No work/life balance

Current Employee - Concierge in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Concierge in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, good perks such as free hotel stays in any four seasons property,

Cons

Huge penalties for honest mistakes

Set up an employee feedback program

Wonderful Company Culture!

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company culture is outstanding. Human Resources and hiring Managers ensure that all new hires naturally embrace the company's principal of 'the golden rule.' Excellence in service is, therefore, both natural and globally consistent.
    A work/life balance is also expected of employees and there is a genuine camaraderie among colleagues.

Cons

Employees do not want to leave! Although the wisdom and know-how from seasoned employees is most often a positive, there are some employees that may not demonstrate business acumen in the 21st century. The company is sometimes too nice though as employees become almost tenured despite performance or overall contribution to the growth of the business.

Fantastic

Current Employee - Valet in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Valet in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great People, Good Learning Experiences, Great Working Environment, Excellent Culture, Really take care of employees, Fun!

Cons

I don't see any so far. Keep up the good working especially in training programs.

Four Seasons Photos