Forrester Research

Forrester Research Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Forrester Research Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony

George F. Colony

Pros:
  • "Very good work life balance as long as you have a manager that doesn't feel the need to micromanage"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Excellent benefits, esp vacation, beautiful work space, smart people"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "The aforementioned work/life balance definitely helps to outweigh the former and the latter produces opportunities"
    in 11 reviews
  • "There is a hesitence to speak the truth to senior management"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great young company

I worked at Forrester Research full-time

Proshard working young workers, social, friendly work environment, great CEO

Conslot of change in management

Great experience

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Forrester Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere's no better place/industry to be on top of everything going on in tech. As an analyst, you have the opportunity to connect with the best in the industry.

ConsCompany's strategy and direction changes every 6 months, and not everyone is always on board. That's when churn happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees for feedback on direction, especially since analysts are in the industry and know the direction it's going in.

Great place to build a career!

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsForrester is a great place for truly motivated high-performers to excel in their careers. It is a company that truly embraces the concept that ideas compete and people collaborate. This is a place where you will work with very smart people who are passionate about helping our clients solve meaningful business challenges, whether in sales research or corporate.

ConsAs the company matures it is losing some of its entrepreneurial culture and artistry.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of change can be tough for some types of people to absorb. Those who can't be successful with some ambiguity and constant change will find it tough to advance in their careers--and so shouldn't be hired in the first place.

Great place to work and learn

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhat you are able to learn, the exposure to organizations of all types, sizes, industries etc. Forrester is a great place to crash course you in business acumen in the tech world.

ConsYou need to learn how to navigate the ecosystem, and play the game. Nothing new to see here, you'll find this anywhere you go.

Almost constant change, sometimes frustrating to deal with all the moving parts and how it affects they way you run your business

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it simple.

Quality People, Interesting Work, Low Pay

Senior Research Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than a year

ProsI have mentors that are invested in my professional growth and development. I am a respected member of my team, and my voice is listened to despite my junior title. The people are just fantastic to work with, and I've made some great friends along the way.

ConsThe job and people are demanding, and the salary doesn't match what they expect from you.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is proud of the fact that Forrester is a "people company," but they have been limiting benefits, and they haven't raised the starting salaries in over a decade. If they don't start showing that they value their people, the good people won't stick around. They're on thin ice.

The best and brightest people, but a massive lack of strategic leadership

I worked at Forrester Research full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe most amazing people around - bright, hard working, supportive, accomplished
Really solid work/life balance and they will treat you right when something goes wrong in your personal life
Great benefits
Forrester gives people the ability to try new things with products and research. It's a fairly entrepreneurial culture.
There is very good management training when the training budget is properly funded
The exposure to top-notch thought leadership is second to none

ConsThere is an "old boys network" at Forrester, although all the members are not boys. If you're in it, you will get opportunity after opportunity to try new things and advance your career. If you're not in it, you will not get any opportunities to advance your career. And there is no real rhyme or reason to who is in it. It's about a club of "buddies" and it doesn't seem clear to anyone what the price of admission is. Another review said that the same people get cycled through the leadership positions, and that is right on. As long as that continues, there will never be new vision, new strategies, and change that actually results in success.
The company changes way too often and quickly, mostly because the changes come at the CEO's whim. Sometimes they turn out to be good moves and sometimes they don't - that's why there is so much constant change as the rest of the company works to adjust.
If your career is in sales or research, there is a lot of career advancement potential but if you're in any other part of the company, there are limited options for career advancement (unless you're in the chosen group).
The company will continue to do well enough for it to continue as a great place to work, but it's on the backs of its amazing people (the analysts especially) and despite the leadership at the top, not because of it. The exceptions there are the CFO who is fabulous and the new head of HR who seems to understand the challenges and brings a fresh perspective.

Advice to Senior ManagementFully research and test strategies before deciding on them and forcing the entire organization to change. Once you do decide on a strategy, allow the organization enough time to adjust to it. Put the most qualified person into available leadership positions - stop holding on to the chosen few just because they're chosen - they're not always the best person for the job.

Its just a publishing company

I worked at Forrester Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou potentially can learn a lot but you will have to work to do it as its full of people from Boston that are basically rude and just done't care about helping anyone.

ConsPeople in Boston basically are not helpful people for example when I was there, if you asked for some help, there was little explanation or help they typically would just send you url and let you figure it out. They decided to go with GMail to save money (they will say it had to do with lots of things including Salesforce) however it was the biggest reduction in productivity with one single swipe.

People don't support each other. Many of the analysts think they know it all and while great at covering subject matter never learned out to work with people. They fire people who are unproductive however there is a very large group (mostly Boston people) that should have been fired long ago but are part of the "family" and hence where there are shuffles (which occur almost every January) they are ducking and hiding and then popping up in new positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a culture where people are supportive. Stop hiring in Boston and start putting people where the clients are and let them work remote if need be to be close to the customer.
Get out of the seat license mentality.

Meh

I worked at Forrester Research

ProsGreat culture, fun people, complex product offerings.

ConsSenior Management was all over the place, to many moving parts, at time felt like sales reps were set up to fail.

Good on the CV, great people but lack of support and growth in Europe

Sales Development Specialist (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Forrester Research full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people at Forrester are what make the company a fun, vibrant and generally good place to work. The pay is reasonable (good basic rubbish commission) therefore you are not hugely incentivised to over perform as an SDS.

ConsForrester is a very U.S. centric company therefore growth in Europe is slow meaning a lack of career opportunities, also the marketing is targeted towards us market even though that is slowly getting better with localised marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing for more support in Europe to help grow and retain best talent. Look to promote from within and create a more visual career plan with employees.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here.

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than a year

ProsThe culture is entirely unique. There is so much goodness here and there is active work going on to bring that to light. The Executive Team is highly visible and approachable. You are set up for success here -- Forrester wants you to succeed.

ConsForrester is a company that implements change across the business often. This has a tendency to throw off some individuals.

Worked for Forrester Research? Contribute to the Community!

Forrester Research Videos

Forrester Research – Why Work for Us?

A global research and advisory firm, Forrester Research (Nasdaq: FORR) serves professionals in 13 key roles across three distinct client segments. Our clients face progressively complex business and technology decisions… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Forrester Research reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Forrester Research CEO George F. Colony. All 240 reviews are posted anonymously by Forrester Research employees.