Forever 21 Reviews

2.4
1,320 Reviews

Forever 21 Co-Founder and CEO Do Won Chang
Do Won Chang

Pros
  • Fun clothes, some delightful people, super-fast-paced; your days just fly by (in 77 reviews)

• Forever 21 is a fashion forward company (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • 10% discount can be seen as a pro but it really doesn't do that much at the end of the day (in 75 reviews)

• Expect long hours with little regard to your personal life (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

Review on F21

I have been working at Forever 21

Pros

Fashionable clothing, High Energy, Fun work environment

Cons

Only 10% discount on clothes, No training,

Great team, poor communications

Former Employee - Head Cashier
    Former Employee - Head Cashier

I worked at Forever 21 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing about coming in to work at Forever 21 was getting to see my co-workers. After 4 years, they really became like a second family to me, despite the high turnover rate. Every body was friendly and fun. The work is fast paced, never a dull moment, especially on cash during weekends.

Cons

Communications with head office is a pain. Very very poor communications.
    It is also very hard for personal growth, I feel like it is based more on availabilities and favoritism than on actual skills.
    Salary raise is annual and very minimal.
    Employees are under-appreciated, discount is very little.
    Obviously, working in retail, you will encounter rude and difficult customers.
    Very little training, my training at cash was during a very busy day and it lasted under a minute (basically the manager passed a transaction while I was standing next to her and then left me there)
    Managers are sometimes immature and do not support the floor or cash teams unless we call for them at least 10 times on the walkie talkie.

Communicate with each other as well as with your employees, listen to their feedback. Stop favoritism. Train you staff and support them

Low pay vs workload and store volume

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Calgary, AB

I worked at Forever 21 full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is alway busy, so time flies by pretty quickly. Because of the size of the store, you can hire the man power you need to get things done. Many new products.

Cons

The store does huge volume, but the pay is poor. Upper management don't really care. They hire or promote people to fill in the space which lead to high turn over or wrong person for the job. The discount sucks.

Lead by example. As in come back from your break on time and you can be late because you are the store manager. Be professional and act your age, therefore don't gossip or stab someone in the back, especially you are the store manager. Be fair and make the right judgement call because is fair for everyone and not support those that are you "buddies."

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at Forever 21

Pros

You get to challenge yourself, if you're a quick learner, you can grow pretty fast if you actually work hard. Depending on your management and if they're willing to invest in you.

Cons

Depends on the district and how it's ran. If you have a bad upper management, your store management won't be able to do much for you because they have to get things approved by the DM, then H.O . It's a lot of hard work-- customers are rude and dirty (they love leaving us soiled diapers, stained panties, bag of urine, and cups of coffee/drinks .etc ) some staff are overly sensitive so they complain when management ask them to work

Trust your store management. They're there everyday-they know how to run the place with their eyes closed. Pay staff better, it's Hard work. Offer better incentives and discounts! H.o needs to communicate better with store level management and be more organized and supportive. I.t needs to resolve pending cases for over a few months faster!

well...

I have been working at Forever 21

Pros

Latest fashion trends, sometimes it is an easy job. Very chill. Schedule is great

Cons

The abuse a bit of their employees, and are always late for raises

As someone who's worked in retail for a few years, this was a truly fun place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Burnaby, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Forever 21 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun, young co-workers
    Most shift positions are easy to learn (cashier, fits, floor)
    POS system is straight-forward
    Depending on who's managing, you can either work super hard or just relax
    Not competitive (this is a CON if you like to be super challenged)
    30 minute break for 5 hrs work + 15 minute paid break for any additional hr
    Had fun every single shift that I worked here

Cons

10% discount doesn't even cover taxes here in Vancouver
    Management is disorganized
    How well you do depends on how well you can socialize with managers (this is a PRO if you're sociable)

No shift-trading. This was one of the biggest cons because even if you planned a perfect shift trade with a co-worker and tried to get it cleared with management they would tell you to call out(call sick). This would result in MANY no-shows and lack of staff on shifts. Not sure why they wanted more work for themselves..

Vacation pay entitled only after 1 year of employment (or so I was told by management)
    Schedules comes out once a week in-store (can't call in for schedule)

- Shift-trading should be allowed if employees plan it out perfectly(same level of skills) and then get it approved by manager. Why do you prefer people to call out and do no-shows?
    - Compensate your hard-working employees more. It is not an excuse to pay someone very little just because everyone else gets paid a less standard. Performance based wage results in happier employees instead of people constantly quitting over pay. There was not one shift I worked when I didn't hear about someone complain about their wage. What does it really cost you to compensate someone +$2/hr for someone who contributes well over $50-$100/hr in sales?
    - Top-level management is always busy doing visual work rather than overlooking the store and the employees. It's great for the employees who like to slack but it's just weird to see the store and co-manager working on stock.
    - I was told by someone who left management that they were not going to promote certain people due to an age-issue. Okay. But don't just promote someone just because they are older. That is stupid.

Cut hours without any advance notice.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Forever 21 part-time for less than a year

Pros

You can see as much as different styles of clothes you want. Recommend to the visual merchandising students or fashion students to work here.

Cons

I was supposed to work at 8am-4pm on that day, but the store manager just told me that "You can leave now." at 11am when I was working. I only worked 3 hours on that day and I didn't know what I've done wrong? Why didn't she schedule me off on that day? What's the true purpose to work there only 3 hours

Good part time job for students

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Forever 21 part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, relaxing work pace when the store is not too busy (generally mornings), follows availability schedule fantastically

Cons

Change rooms can get very disorganized at times, long clean up at end of day if store was busy during the day

Create a better loss prevention system

Poor upper management

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Brossard, QC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brossard, QC

I worked at Forever 21 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good value for money clothing

Cons

No job guarantee and no work life balance

Management need to have a more professional approach and treat employees the same way they would like to be treated

Typical

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Burnaby, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Forever 21 part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy work
    co-workers are nice
    There isn't much to say except its a regular retail that is a bit stricter since its a big company

Cons

We don't get much of a discount
    Sometimes have to stay longer than usual by about 1 hour to clean up

Hire supervisors that can work with a positive attitude

Worked for Forever 21? Contribute to the Community!