Forever 21

Updated Jul 28, 2014

2.4 1,252 reviews

Forever 21 Co-Founder and CEO Do Won Chang

Do Won Chang

Pros
  • Fun clothes, some delightful people, super-fast-paced; your days just fly by (in 77 reviews)

• Forever 21 is a fashion forward company (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • 10% discount can be seen as a pro but it really doesn't do that much at the end of the day (in 75 reviews)

• Expect long hours with little regard to your personal life (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights
1,252 Employee Reviews

Review on F21

ProsFashionable clothing, High Energy, Fun work environment

ConsOnly 10% discount on clothes, No training,

Cut hours without any advance notice.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsYou can see as much as different styles of clothes you want. Recommend to the visual merchandising students or fashion students to work here.

ConsI was supposed to work at 8am-4pm on that day, but the store manager just told me that "You can leave now." at 11am when I was working. I only worked 3 hours on that day and I didn't know what I've done wrong? Why didn't she schedule me off on that day? What's the true purpose to work there only 3 hours

Unappreciative for all the work you did, always expected to do more in such little time and little support

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to challenge yourself, if you're a quick learner, you can grow pretty fast if you actually work hard. Depending on your management and if they're willing to invest in you.

ConsDepends on the district and how it's ran. If you have a bad upper management, your store management won't be able to do much for you because they have to get things approved by the DM, then H.O . It's a lot of hard work-- customers are rude and dirty (they love leaving us soiled diapers, stained panties, bag of urine, and cups of coffee/drinks .etc ) some staff are overly sensitive so they complain when management ask them to work

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your store management. They're there everyday-they know how to run the place with their eyes closed. Pay staff better, it's Hard work. Offer better incentives and discounts! H.o needs to communicate better with store level management and be more organized and supportive. I.t needs to resolve pending cases for over a few months faster!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

well...

ProsLatest fashion trends, sometimes it is an easy job. Very chill. Schedule is great

ConsThe abuse a bit of their employees, and are always late for raises

As someone who's worked in retail for a few years, this was a truly fun place to work.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsFun, young co-workers
    Most shift positions are easy to learn (cashier, fits, floor)
    POS system is straight-forward
    Depending on who's managing, you can either work super hard or just relax
    Not competitive (this is a CON if you like to be super challenged)
    30 minute break for 5 hrs work + 15 minute paid break for any additional hr
    Had fun every single shift that I worked here

Cons10% discount doesn't even cover taxes here in Vancouver
    Management is disorganized
    How well you do depends on how well you can socialize with managers (this is a PRO if you're sociable)

No shift-trading. This was one of the biggest cons because even if you planned a perfect shift trade with a co-worker and tried to get it cleared with management they would tell you to call out(call sick). This would result in MANY no-shows and lack of staff on shifts. Not sure why they wanted more work for themselves..

Vacation pay entitled only after 1 year of employment (or so I was told by management)
    Schedules comes out once a week in-store (can't call in for schedule)

Advice to Senior Management- Shift-trading should be allowed if employees plan it out perfectly(same level of skills) and then get it approved by manager. Why do you prefer people to call out and do no-shows?
    - Compensate your hard-working employees more. It is not an excuse to pay someone very little just because everyone else gets paid a less standard. Performance based wage results in happier employees instead of people constantly quitting over pay. There was not one shift I worked when I didn't hear about someone complain about their wage. What does it really cost you to compensate someone +$2/hr for someone who contributes well over $50-$100/hr in sales?
    - Top-level management is always busy doing visual work rather than overlooking the store and the employees. It's great for the employees who like to slack but it's just weird to see the store and co-manager working on stock.
    - I was told by someone who left management that they were not going to promote certain people due to an age-issue. Okay. But don't just promote someone just because they are older. That is stupid.

Good part time job for students

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat people, relaxing work pace when the store is not too busy (generally mornings), follows availability schedule fantastically

ConsChange rooms can get very disorganized at times, long clean up at end of day if store was busy during the day

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a better loss prevention system

Poor upper management

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Brossard, QC

ProsGood value for money clothing

ConsNo job guarantee and no work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to have a more professional approach and treat employees the same way they would like to be treated

Typical

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsEasy work
    co-workers are nice
    There isn't much to say except its a regular retail that is a bit stricter since its a big company

ConsWe don't get much of a discount
    Sometimes have to stay longer than usual by about 1 hour to clean up

Advice to Senior ManagementHire supervisors that can work with a positive attitude

Out of all the retail jobs I've had, this one was by far the worst.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosnone, seriously. Even the discount on clothes is bad.

Conshorrible hours, mean managers, unfriendly environment

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer and smile once in a while...

Terminating! Sad face in the first month of 2014

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Dartmouth, NS

Pros1. Easy to get the job during festival time and new branch opening. They hired more than 100 girls, and mostly from high school, what a good way to earn pocket money, not a life.

2. Some of the co workers are cute and kind, not mean to U and eager to help. Couple of them laughed and stared at me when I left store with terminating letter and my bag, I should show a pity on the one who pulled my bag out of locker and threw into garbage can in staff room, U MUST BE BULLIED SINCE CHILD CARE! What a huge shadow made u behavior behind me like that !

Cons1. I studied nothing from the experiences! They just went through the orientation book quickly in the first meeting and we even do not have that book! No one told u the specific details. After that, especially SALES ASSOCIATE, they just need U do everything that follows Ur feeling!

2. They do not allow U change Ur position even U request that!

Except Ur QUEEN B managers put u in her eyes and consider u r the one of her small pretty circle. The feeling was awful! The high customer volume was past, now I am useless, and the company kick me out without asking the conditions and plans. At least U should tell me whether the reason is my fault or not. They plan to fire 30 people just due to the decreases of customers. And I really need the money for the foods ! But I have no shifts per week as have to take shits from others.

3.Most customers are kind and they do like the new store. One sad thing I found was that some of them can't afford clothes at such a cheap price. That's why I feel bad about the society, some groups can buy the whole luxury boutique whereas some can't spend 10 dollars on a new top.

4. Mess schedule. management is the "high school cheer leader style". Hope the managers keep lean as their kids will absolutely be the future "High school / community college drama queen" generation by generation ----- U R WELOME!

5. Low salary, 10.35 per hour. Good for chics~! If girls, u r young, do not hang out daily, just study harder to be a doctor or lawyer ! Or U may be kicked by a cheer leader in both high school and society~!

Advice to Senior Managementalready talked about above

Worked for Forever 21? Contribute to the Community!