Forever 21

2.4 1,087 reviews

Forever 21 Co-Founder and CEO Do Won Chang

Do Won Chang

1,087 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Good place to start, Helps get acquainted with retail, fast paced"
    in 70 reviews
  • "self expression fashion forward creative freedom"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "High turnover rate for both employees and management"
    in 33 reviews
  • "10% discount doesn't even cover taxes here in Vancouver"
    in 70 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

As someone who's worked in retail for a few years, this was a truly fun place to work.

Burnaby, BC

I worked at Forever 21 full-time for less than a year

ProsFun, young co-workers
Most shift positions are easy to learn (cashier, fits, floor)
POS system is straight-forward
Depending on who's managing, you can either work super hard or just relax
Not competitive (this is a CON if you like to be super challenged)
30 minute break for 5 hrs work + 15 minute paid break for any additional hr
Had fun every single shift that I worked here

Cons10% discount doesn't even cover taxes here in Vancouver
Management is disorganized
How well you do depends on how well you can socialize with managers (this is a PRO if you're sociable)

No shift-trading. This was one of the biggest cons because even if you planned a perfect shift trade with a co-worker and tried to get it cleared with management they would tell you to call out(call sick). This would result in MANY no-shows and lack of staff on shifts. Not sure why they wanted more work for themselves..

Vacation pay entitled only after 1 year of employment (or so I was told by management)
Schedules comes out once a week in-store (can't call in for schedule)

Advice to Senior Management- Shift-trading should be allowed if employees plan it out perfectly(same level of skills) and then get it approved by manager. Why do you prefer people to call out and do no-shows?
- Compensate your hard-working employees more. It is not an excuse to pay someone very little just because everyone else gets paid a less standard. Performance based wage results in happier employees instead of people constantly quitting over pay. There was not one shift I worked when I didn't hear about someone complain about their wage. What does it really cost you to compensate someone +$2/hr for someone who contributes well over $50-$100/hr in sales?
- Top-level management is always busy doing visual work rather than overlooking the store and the employees. It's great for the employees who like to slack but it's just weird to see the store and co-manager working on stock.
- I was told by someone who left management that they were not going to promote certain people due to an age-issue. Okay. But don't just promote someone just because they are older. That is stupid.

Good part time job for students

I worked at Forever 21 part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, relaxing work pace when the store is not too busy (generally mornings), follows availability schedule fantastically

ConsChange rooms can get very disorganized at times, long clean up at end of day if store was busy during the day

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a better loss prevention system

Worst job I've had

I worked at Forever 21 part-time for less than a year

Pros-they'll hire anyone, since they are always so desperate and people keep quitting
-liked some coworkers

Cons-minimum pay- people at old navy get more. I constantly got put in fitting rooms ALONE on saturday afternoons, boxing day, etc... not enough pay to put up with that crap
-only 10% discount, anyone with a spc card can get that
-got treated like dirt
-no training, just an orientation and we were expected to learn everything by ourselves while all the workers who have been there for longer talked crap about us for not knowing anything in the break room.. CLEARLY we won't know anything if we didn't get trained and are just starting out.
-unorganized management. lots of drama among coworkers AND managers..
-overall, I have not talked to ONE person at the store who likes the job. Everyone hates it and everyone is miserable. turnover rate is so high... I'm pretty sure the company breaks many labor/worker laws.... and I read about the founder/CEO, an immigrant who came to America with nothing and was forced to work 3 jobs before he opened the store and made it. You would think that someone who knows what it is like to have nothing would make sure that their workers are treated better than they are... Apparently not...

Poor upper management

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Brossard, QC

I worked at Forever 21 full-time for less than a year

ProsGood value for money clothing

ConsNo job guarantee and no work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to have a more professional approach and treat employees the same way they would like to be treated

Typical

Burnaby, BC

I worked at Forever 21 part-time for more than a year

ProsEasy work
co-workers are nice
There isn't much to say except its a regular retail that is a bit stricter since its a big company

ConsWe don't get much of a discount
Sometimes have to stay longer than usual by about 1 hour to clean up

Advice to Senior ManagementHire supervisors that can work with a positive attitude

Out of all the retail jobs I've had, this one was by far the worst.

I worked at Forever 21 part-time for less than a year

Prosnone, seriously. Even the discount on clothes is bad.

Conshorrible hours, mean managers, unfriendly environment

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer and smile once in a while...

Terminating! Sad face in the first month of 2014

Dartmouth, NS

I worked at Forever 21 part-time for less than a year

Pros1. Easy to get the job during festival time and new branch opening. They hired more than 100 girls, and mostly from high school, what a good way to earn pocket money, not a life.

2. Some of the co workers are cute and kind, not mean to U and eager to help. Couple of them laughed and stared at me when I left store with terminating letter and my bag, I should show a pity on the one who pulled my bag out of locker and threw into garbage can in staff room, U MUST BE BULLIED SINCE CHILD CARE! What a huge shadow made u behavior behind me like that !

Cons1. I studied nothing from the experiences! They just went through the orientation book quickly in the first meeting and we even do not have that book! No one told u the specific details. After that, especially SALES ASSOCIATE, they just need U do everything that follows Ur feeling!

2. They do not allow U change Ur position even U request that!

Except Ur QUEEN B managers put u in her eyes and consider u r the one of her small pretty circle. The feeling was awful! The high customer volume was past, now I am useless, and the company kick me out without asking the conditions and plans. At least U should tell me whether the reason is my fault or not. They plan to fire 30 people just due to the decreases of customers. And I really need the money for the foods ! But I have no shifts per week as have to take shits from others.

3.Most customers are kind and they do like the new store. One sad thing I found was that some of them can't afford clothes at such a cheap price. That's why I feel bad about the society, some groups can buy the whole luxury boutique whereas some can't spend 10 dollars on a new top.

4. Mess schedule. management is the "high school cheer leader style". Hope the managers keep lean as their kids will absolutely be the future "High school / community college drama queen" generation by generation ----- U R WELOME!

5. Low salary, 10.35 per hour. Good for chics~! If girls, u r young, do not hang out daily, just study harder to be a doctor or lawyer ! Or U may be kicked by a cheer leader in both high school and society~!

Advice to Senior Managementalready talked about above

Good Clothes..Not enough shifts

I worked at Forever 21 part-time for less than a year

Pros- fun customers
- Breaks were fair
- Fast paced environment

Cons- only 1 shift a week despite constantly asking for more
- bad discount
- Unorganized
- They will pretty much hire anyone so there are lots of incompetent employees
- Unrealistic expectations of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less employees and treat the ones you have better.

Good but not great...

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Richmond, BC

I have been working at Forever 21 part-time for less than a year

Pros- Co-workers (most of them) are extremely friendly and helpful, especially if you're new. They'll be very understanding if you don't know where things go or if you're confused.
- Meal breaks are for 5 hour shifts instead of 6, then 10 mins for every extra 2 hours.
- You get to see hundreds and hundreds of clothes every hour.
- Work isn't backbreaking and there's always something to do - does not require extremely heavy lifting but some lifting as you will be moving clothes back and forth all shift.
- Some customers can be really nice and appreciative.
- Shifts are decent (you have to have at least 1 shift scheduled within a 2 week period to still be considered working at the store, but our manager said she prefers it to be at least 1 shift per week if possible).
- Easy interview and easy to get the job.
- You can wear almost anything you want to work except flip flops, sandals without backstraps, athletic shoes, or anything trashy or with giant logos. Short shorts, tank tops etc are permitted though so it's great when you're running around.
- Employee reviews are conducted after 1 year of employment instead of 6 months.

Cons- Some co-workers aren't very nice and they like to gossip a lot. A group of them aren't very friendly with new people and refuse to talk to you and associate with you.
- Management is bi-polar in that on some days it will be really good and things will run smoothly without a hitch and on some days it will be extremely hectic and insane and they'll yell at you for seemingly no reason.
- Customers can be very rude and abrasive (I've seen some of my co-workers go to the back room and cry before after dealing with an extremely rude customer) even when you're busy and trying your hardest to serve them and everyone else.
- Customers will not listen to you and will be very, very messy, even when you ask them to hang things back up, keep things off the floor etc.
- Shoplifting policy is strange and doesn't work very well and makes it hard for associates to do their jobs correctly in a safe manner.
- Some policies are strange e.g. we can't take down clothes from the mannequins/display window mannequins require a 2 week hold before they can be taken down.
- Many of the customers cannot speak English very well and it's hard to understand them and serve them and they'll end up calling management on you.
- If you're a cashier, you are often made to look incompetent especially because of some of the store's policies (only managers can approve certain things or they'll completely undermine you when you're explaining a policy and override it).
- Clean up takes up to 3 hours after your shift ends and only the managers get to decide when you can go home - can take an extremely long time too if the store is understaffed and especially messy.
- 10% discount won't even cover the 12% tax in British Columbia.
- Pays only minimum wage, even if you ask for more.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease your discount for employees or increase your pay, make set times for shifts to end so students can go home at a reasonable time and not whenever it pleases you, don't yell at your employees, don't undermine your staff and take them for granted.

Repetitive and uninspired

Montreal, QC

ProsFriendly coworkers
Work isn't difficult at all

ConsManagement is very unorganized
Closing shifts are always overtime

Worked for Forever 21? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Forever 21 reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Forever 21 CEO Do Won Chang . All 1,087 reviews are posted anonymously by Forever 21 employees.