Fluor Reviews

1. Interesting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Harbour, NL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Harbour, NL

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Interesting Project
    Nice People to work with
    Good compesation

Cons

A bit disorganised
    Lack of leadership in some managerial positions

2. Disappointing.

Current Employee - Material Management Specialist in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Material Management Specialist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Work and life balance of the "chargeable hours" environment.

Cons

Lack of competent management and leadership. Inconsistent procedures and follow-through. Lack of respect towards client priorities.

3. Average...nothing special.

Current Employee - Procurement in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Procurement in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

-Fairly solid set of established company wide procedures.
    -If you want to learn how to execute mega-projects, Fluor has a wealth of knowledge and experience in this area.
    -Systems abundant and widespread.
    -Project level management has always been fair and knowledgeable

Cons

- Compensation not what it should be
    - Can be stressful at certain times (this is EPC industry though, not specific to Fluor)
    - Poor communication from current management regarding compensation/performance
    - Limited growth opportunities for non-technical backgrounds....tendency to get pigeon-holed.

Advice to Management

You tout people as being your greatest asset - start treating them accordingly.

5. Very cyclical industry

Former Employee - Associate Process Specialist II in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Associate Process Specialist II in Calgary, AB

I worked at Fluor

Pros

Best reason to work at Fluor Canada is that they'll provide you with a ton of information regarding the project you're on and how to design various pieces of equipment. After my few years of working with them, I would compare the experience I received at Fluor with the experience that my colleagues had with oil & gas companies, and I was way above their skill level in terms of understanding the processes and applying design standards.

Cons

There are a few downsides to working at Fluor, first off, the pay is not the greatest for the amount of stress and long hours you put in. In addition, it's extremely stressful when the project you're working on comes to a close and there is no communication to you as to what project you will be assigned to next. The engineering, procurement, and construction industry is very very cyclical and this company doesn't hesitate at all to trim the work force if clients projects get cancelled.

It's also very challenging to prove yourself and take on more responsibility. For junior employees, pay raises were not at all performance based, but were more here's an extra 8% because you've been here for a year. Colleagues at work would put in the bare minimum and their productivity was below average, yet most people would receive the same compensation with no bonus incentives to work harder or ensure your work exceeded expectations.

To get noticed, you pretty much had to be on a committee. Fluor's Graduates Advancing towards Professionalism (GAP) is highly overrated, however, if you're on this committee, you're generally protected from layoffs and more opportunities are available to you even if your work is subpar.

Advice to Management

See above criticism and try to address those issues. Recognize employee's that go the extra mile and ensure deadlines are met. Scale back the emphasis on the GAP group. Differentiate the stellar employees and the ones that are there just for the "9-5" job and reward accordingly. Junior employees are very open in regards to salary's being paid and it's quite discouraging to find that you're being compensated the exact same as someone who's performing at a much lower competency.

6. fluor

Current Employee - Project Controls in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Project Controls in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

fluor is an international epc company so there are lot of overseas oppportunities.
    Engineering in all sectors minning,oil and gas, infrestructure, new wnergy

Cons

senior management is not energetic and very aging employees with no talent other than staying with fluor more than 30 40 years

Advice to Management

change most of the senior management to yonger generation , just working 30 years or more will not be a qualification, give the top talent the opportunities not years of experience

Fluor Calgary

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I worked at Fluor

Pros

Good work life balance and benefits with a fair salary.

Cons

Work is based on an hourly charge rate from clients.
    Lower engineers are seen not as opportunities for future advancement instead as heads that can charge client.
    Promise of education support was disingenuous, many were refused even basic training.

Advice to Management

Be honest about what is offered and what the company is going through
    Dont go through a hiring craze in boom times

8. Fluor is a good company to work for regarding work/life balance, although not the greatest if you only care about money.

Current Employee - Associate Process Specialist I in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Associate Process Specialist I in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

The flex time is really helpful for balancing personal & work life. The benefits package is excellent - covering dental/medical/vision and other things once you satisfy the annual combine deductible. They give you an employee health spending account which fully covers the deductible and then some. Here we get paid overtime which can be cahsed out, or banked, which is really helpful.

Cons

The pay is only mid-range compared to some of the other companies in the industry. Could work for an oil & gas firm and make more money. Only so much responsibility that you can take on, even if you search for it.

Advice to Management

Senior management is doing a good job of keeping employees abreast of recent developments.

9. Manager, Knowledge Services

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX (US)

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very rewarding and challenging experiences

Cons

A very cyclical work industry and employment seasons

Advice to Management

None

10. COOK

Former Employee - Cook in Lukavac, Federation of Bosnia and Herze (Bosnia and Herzegovina)

I worked at Fluor part-time

Pros

Highly organized and fair and mixed culture. There are opportunities to advance if you strive for.

Cons

Some competitions of course. You need to prepare yourself not to be outdated. (This is good thing though). Sometimes it can be stressful to meet deadlines because there are projects you are working.

general services

Former Employee - General Services in Surfside, TX (US)
    Former Employee - General Services in Surfside, TX (US)

I worked at Fluor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

my short time there was great would loved to return to fluor. I'm currently waiting on response from human resources, in order to return to work

Cons

human resource is conducting there hiring status on me because I was hired in ten days to earily for retuning on dow property