Fluor

Fluor Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton

David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect (in 15 reviews)

• The working environment at company is very good and better than most of the competitors in the market (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management (in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A Good company to work for

Instrument Specialist (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsFriendly office atmosphere / environment

ConsLack of good management and plans

Great career opportunities and great peers / management

Construction Engineer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsHaving the ability to move between offices and business units and also job function (provided you have the skills needed)
    Being an EPC, ability to work on different major projects allows one the opportunity to learn quickly and advance career.
    Majority of senior management listen to their employees and genuinely care for them and their career path.
    Lots of interactive events and education programs available.
    Incredible amount of experience and knowledge available within the organization and shared between the 40+ offices using a knowledge share forum.
    There is always a drive by management for improvement within the Construction business line.
    Ethics in the workplace is highly valued.
    Time off with pay is very flexible and taking vacation or flex time is never an issue.

ConsSalary is not industry leading or on the high end of the spectrum for EPCs, but there are a lot of factors such as great work environment, experienced peers and management which increases job satisfaction - something that you can't put a price on.

While majority of facilities provided are nice, workstations in some places could use updating and a better layout is needed in some places (i.e. more offices) Occasionally there are managers / leads / directors sitting in cubicles.

Advice to Senior ManagementFurther invest not only in talent development, but also developing the company's ability to diverge into new markets and businesses. (via expanding overhead budget)
    Bonus structure should be implemented on a broader scale in order to stay competitive and attract talent - even if bonuses are minuscule to begin with.

Great work life balance

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

Pros9-5, not a lot of pressure, great team and friendly top management.

ConsRigid corporation, lots of incompetent workers

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting experience with high's and low's

Project Controls (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsThe pay is excellent, promotions come when you expect them and the perks like RRSP contributions and others are very good compared to other places I've worked.

ConsThe work life balance is nearly non-existent and the management in the office can be very Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde. There does not seem to be much continuity or planning taking place and it's very reactive as opposed to pro-active.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider getting to know your clients better and understanding that your workers have a life and would like to live it.

Process Specialist I

Process Specialist I (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsLots of work and guidence from senior managers. A lot of opportunitys to learn and grow. They are always trying to stretch you and see what you can do.

ConsVery big company, it can be hard to meet people, especially in other diciplines. Must always impress the clients.

Volatile industry, dinosaur management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsGood local culture, social atmosphere, good benefits. Strong, well developed, global infrastructure, policies and procedures. Good place to start a career and develop a foundation, but difficult to progress a career further.

ConsExtremely volatile. Management, on all levels, is very conservative and encourages things to be done the way they have always been done above all else. Technology is extremely out of date. Need to be in the "in-crowd" to progress or even be retained in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk your talk on diversity. Diversity includes valuing people with different thought processes, opinions and ways of communicating.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Contractor experience

Field Engineer (Former Employee) Fort MacKay, AB

ProsTo list a few, I can name some of the pros as:

Good reputation, Strong management, Computerized administrative systems, work/ life balance, interesting project, good support, good compensation and benefits.

Overall, Fluor is a very good company.

ConsThe project scope was not well-defined to every one, and it evolved as the project started. The project manager could have played a better role.

Work ENVIRONMENT

Designer (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsProvides very good learning oppertunities

ConsThere is no job security

Advice to Senior ManagementCare your employees when one buisness unit is slow

There for quite a while

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMostly nice people, challenging projects, sense of belonging.

ConsWork over load, management changed so negated said Pros.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an interest in your employees again.

Fluor is a FORTUNE 500 EPC company and a great company to grow with.

Project Controls Specialist II (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsThe Company has well established systems and procedures

ConsBeing a very big company, you generally get lost

Worked for Fluor? Contribute to the Community!