Flextronics Reviews

Updated 26 August, 2014

3.1

Flextronics CEO and Director Mike McNamara
Mike McNamara

Pros
  • Benefits are nice and depending on position work life balance is good (in 15 reviews)

• Work environment is safe and security guards on duty all the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • When you are really bust work life balance can be tough (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't really communicate well with clients and has no business skills to run the whole projects (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Foot in the door...

Current Employee - Support Technician  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Support Technician in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Flextronics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well, it is a job that has allowed me to learn IT skills without having to pay for it.

Cons

No nets around the buildings.
    Made the same amount of money on unemployment.
    Most of the management come from other countries so sometimes there is a language barrier. It is cheaper for Flextronics to pay them a housing expense and a salary that is good in their native state than it is to hire local management. And if you do take any management roles you will be working for considerably less than what is typically paid for the same type of work at other businesses.

Be nice to the locals.

Fast paced.

I have been working at Flextronics

Pros

Abundant resources to help you.

Cons

Constantly changing both good and bad.

Be more communicative.

Current Employee

I have been working at Flextronics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunities to grow, great people to work with, flexible schedule.

Cons

Provide more Leadership development training

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It helped me mature and get a very intensive experience, which contributed crucially in my career.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Sorocaba, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Sorocaba, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at Flextronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I got an intensive experience, I could understand and follow the company's politics effectively. My direct managers had a very wide experiences, thus I could learn and develop a lot.
    I had crucial opportunities of growth, I was promoted once a year and could have experience in several departments of the company.

Cons

The workload is really heavy, for a period I had about 60hs of overtime monthly (beyond the normal 45hs weekly). Some people get really stressed due the pressure for results (this made me mature a lot and learn how to deal with it, but some people get really bad for that, even sick).
    The food they offered in the company's restaurant was really bad, many people (including myself) brought food from home - some days it was impossible to eat the food offered.
    The food was a huge problem for me, I spent a lot of money eating out or a lot of work bringing food from home.

I would be happy to pay a little more for the food benefit if they could improve the food quality, as I stated in the Cons, it was a huge problem for me.

Supportive and Team-focused Work Environment

Current Employee - Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Flextronics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flextronics is very team focused and, despite how lean we are from a resource perspective, you will almost NEVER hear "that's not my job" or "You're on your own".... As a Manager, I have a great team supporting me and the company.

The benefits are very competitive for this area. Salaries are fair, not amazing. 401K is 1:1 up to 4%. Healthcare plans are great, with up to $400 free up front to be used for deductibles, copays, etc, and any remaining carries over to the next year. Bonus structure varies by level; 5% or 10% of base which can be met from 0% to 200% per quarter.

Work-life balance depends on your work area and level.

Cons

Training could be improved.

If you are at the operational level (inspectors, line operators) weekends are heavily required. As you get into engineering, program management and management, weekends either rotate responsibility or are not expected at all.

You can only get too lean, before you become anorexic. Things are getting a bit dicey with coverage levels and things are starting to slip through the cracks. While I know this is corporate driven, it could push the site in the wrong direction for our current and hopeful customers.

Student Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Flextronics as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Not many, besides free salad and the smooth interview process, this position has so far has been a drain to my summer. Little room for growth.

Cons

There are so many managers, directors, and VPs within the company. Little could be done when you have so many points of contact, with everyone wanting expecting something different from you. Mentors assigned to interns were unresponsive to interns and some were only in the office 1-2x/week. Highly recommend against accepting an offer here.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Field Team Supervisor  in  Livonia, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Field Team Supervisor in Livonia, MI (US)

I have been working at Flextronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bonuses are very good when met, and the team in my location is awesome

Cons

Being a contractor means constant changes for performance metrics

Make sure you choose the correct location

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst  in  Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at Flextronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is competitive and benefits are great but downgraded. Work load is depending on what account you work with, sometime great while sometime hectic. Some senior management are decent while some act hyper most of the time. Work environment is safe and security guards on duty all the time.

Cons

Unless you just want paycheck then this location is worse for you. There are less chance for an advancement. Be ready to work under one who barely speaks english who's educational credential never been verified. This place hardly work as a team and most of the times it's all about "I" instead "us" crazy but true. Here are the breakdowns depending on what you're interested in. Analyst: Work get done but unexpected demands that must get meet, it's harsh demand most of the time with short timeline. Program manager: Mostly ego between each other and group building to play politics. Testing: Most won't last long here because this plant has awkward understanding about testing, also extreme pressure from customers. Quality: Your name will be on paper but you will be doing nothing or considered for nothing. Process: All day long every day play with pipes and build benches, everything else is beyond their scope of work or simply waste of paid time if they try to do anything. IT: Great place to learn then must get out. Facility: random changes that you will scratch your bald head mode than you actually work here. Lead: Listen to him listen to her listen to all, no ideas what you will do here. Supervisor: Make a point and stand on your legs or else someone else will run the show, very strange. Manager: Same as a supervisor and ready to stay under a gun, you will hardly make any good decisions. Line people: Lucky to have regular hours, sometime too many sometime less. It's a cut dog eat dob business. They try many ideas and talent but nothing works at sometime. If you're talented then stay away. Many talented works here however find themselves trapped and looking for exit. Nothing negative these are all realities.

Nothing....may be one. Do not give power to uneducated barely english speaking idiots. Hire some locals instead of wasting time of talent hire people. This place is what it should deserve.

Wonderful journey

I have been working at Flextronics full-time

Pros

Work life is well balanced and it will be good startup journey for an Fresher

Cons

Stagnent,Experienced persons need to sit tight holding on the same old process

Identify the key resource

Incredible pace

I worked at Flextronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

One can gain professional experience with lots of customers in a variety of industries within a short period of time.

Cons

Culture is based on loyalty - you try to stick with a manager and his advancement is considered the guarantee for your own job security. People dont trust their professional performance to stay in current job or get a new one within the company, need a "sponsor" and that distorts their judgement and prioritisation (pleasing the sponsor is the #1 aspect for all future decisions).

Walk the talk - root out unacceptable leadership behaviour.

Worked for Flextronics? Contribute to the Community!