Flagstar Bank Reviews

Updated 19 April, 2015
160 reviews filtered by

Abusive Environment

I worked at Flagstar Bank

Pros

I loved what I was doing and my customers but I had to quit because it was way too stressful working for a manager who was abusive towards employees in Orion. Many quit before and after I did and she is still there? This is the problem at Flagstar.

Cons

Terrible hours at branches. Dangerous environment. Locking a person in a branch by them selves after everyone had left for the day so they can run the drive thru a little longer and exit building by themselves!

Advice to Management

Don't leave people in positions because they are hitting their goals where employees are constantly leaving a location because of them. This is brining the company down. Don't value goals over good employees.

Fun for the most part

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have definitely lucked out working here. My team is a good one. The managers I have had, have been great mentors and are always finding ways to help you grow and succeed. There is opportunity to grow. Sometimes close by an somtimes moving might be required. Upper Management can be alright but sometimes can be a bit unreasonable in their exexpectations. All in all, it is good place to work.

Cons

Lending is horrible. Process is drug out.
    Pay could be much better for the responsibility that some personal bankers carry.
    Goals for assistant managers should be changed to branch goals.

Advice to Management

If a banker has more than one responsibility, e.g. personal banker plus certified lender be sure they are making a base pay especially if they are performing well.
    Please change assistant manager goals to a branch focused goal.

Stressful place to work

Former Employee - Data Security in Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Data Security in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bank

Pros

Could work from home to avoid the physical contact from the boss throwing things at you. Work not that difficult.

Cons

Management is poor. Abusive. Management didnt allow having time off after a child or a loss of a child. HR doesn't want to deal with the issues. I've had a manager throw things, call people names, and then cry in meeting. Even if for short term, I would not recommend this place.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. A survey doesn't do a thing if changes are not made....didn't have to be painful or fearful to be at work and with nobody to help with the abuse. All you did was give her was another permotion; making her belive what she did was okay. She should have been walked out. I'm sure the people that really want to make the positive changes are not working with the right people to know what's really wrong. People are afraid to say something.

5. Company was once cutting edge - the changes in the market appear to have caught Flagstar wrong-footed

Current Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI (US)

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was once a culture of growth and improvement

Cons

Very poor culture - discouraging place to work. Its suffocating

Advice to Management

The attitude at corporate is horrendous...and that negativity spreads to all corners of the company

6. Decent company, little to no advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI (US)

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training is very well run, the expertise of the staff provides exceptional insight to new hires. Bank Holidays are a very nice perk. Compensation is average with industry.

Cons

This company has legacy issues that have stunted its growth. This causes the working environment to have a lot of conflict due to lack of advancement. Additionally, a struggling housing market is causing multiple staff reductions.

Advice to Management

Management should encourage innovation within the company without fear of retaliation. This company is hurting itself by not letting its employees share ideas and encourage their creativity. A key concept of change is innovation and it is not rewarded, instead successes go unrecognized and feedback is discouraged.

7. Management unorganized and lacked professionalism in the department.

Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Speciaist in Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Speciaist in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overtime available, bank holidays, and flexibility with schedule. Opportunities to move into different roles within department.

Cons

Lack of training and lack of leadership.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees.

8. Great commisions

Current Employee - Senior Financial Service Representative in Troy, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Service Representative in Troy, MI (US)

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time

Pros

the leadership is hands on and constanlty expressing concerns as well as expectations

Cons

the leadership is counter productively involved.

Advice to Management

appreciate your employees

9. I learned the difference between wholesale mortgage banking and retail mortgage banking

I worked at Flagstar Bank (Less than a year)

Pros

i was exposed to a lot of avenues to originate loans with real estate agents and I learned a lot of ways to originate loans from cold calls.

Cons

I was told when I was hired that Flagstar sent loans to other banks for service if they didn't have a program available for a customer but found out this was untrue...also at the time of my employment processing was very slow...may have improved by now...

Advice to Management

Be honest, assist new loan officers regarding mortgage products and dealing with clients...

Things are improving

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Troy, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Troy, MI (US)

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Senior level management is trying to make improvements. Things have been quite unstable for last several years, but it feels like things are looking up.

Cons

Mid level management has been around too long. No matter how much senior management tries to make improvements, mid level managers are stubborn and unwilling to change. Most managers at that level are only in their position because of seniority. They lack the skills needed to mentor their employees. We basically just do what we are told, so there is really no opportunity to shine and that is sad as there are a lot of brilliant minds at Flagstar. If only their voices were being heard.

Advice to Management

Senior management is doing good job communicating to their direct staff but it stops there. Spend some time to really evaluate your middle management team. Take the time to really listen to what people are saying and do something about it.

11. Flagstar Busy

I have been working at Flagstar Bank

Pros

Never had to work hard

Cons

Nothing to do. Not paid well.