Fiserv

Fiserv Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Fiserv President, CEO, and Director Jeffery Yabuki

Jeffery Yabuki

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance makes you tolerate more than you would at another place"
    in 47 reviews
  • "The ability to work from home was nice (though this has been discontinued)"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very silo-ed work business units cause unnecessary red tape"
    in 35 reviews
  • "It's all about trying to meet NOP just so that senior management can get their bonuses"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Senior developer

Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee)
Oakville, ON

I have been working at Fiserv full-time for more than 5 years

ProsClose work place from home.

ConsTo much take processing to fix programming

Advice to Senior Management?

Fun, fun, fun, fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Waterloo, ON

I worked at Fiserv

ProsFun place to work. Free drinks, healthy breakfast, pool table, foosball table. Competitive salaries, good opportunities for learning and growth.

ConsAll the Canadian offices closed. Headquarters were far away in an odd state (Atlanta, Georgia). Company was sold and re-branded.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuy the company back. Make it the great place it was years ago. Hire the excellent talent again. Listen more closely.

Company is cheap; very little communication with upper management

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Fiserv

Prosglobally recognized company
good banking system
good, hard-working co-workers
50% RRSP matching program

Cons-- pay parking and it's quite pricey. About $90 per month for a parking pass, or $4 (must be coins) to pay at the parking meter. There are only a few parking passes available, and these are passed down only through attrition and who you're friends with. Why can a global company not pay for parking for its 20+ employees? One would expect pay parking in downtown Vancouver, but this part of Burnaby is an ugly concrete suburb far from downtown.

-- Vacation time is horrible for BC, Canada. Was offered 2 weeks. Never worked with a banking system company that offered so little. The IT industry standard is 3 weeks, the credit union standard in BC is 4 weeks. Fiserv is offering the absolute minimum. How are they going to attract and retain potential candidates who are accustomed to standard vacation time? As well, there is no program to 'grow' your vacation - for eg., in most companies, after 5 years, you get an added week of vacation. No such thing here. You're stuck at 2 weeks forever. There is no incentive to stay at the company. It's surprising that this is a large, global company. It's run like a mom and pops operation.

-- Benefits are horrible.

-- HR in the US office takes their time answering questions (expect at least 1 week waiting time to get a simple question answered)

- No staff parties in the history of the Canadian office. The only staff get-togethers are staff farewells

- High turnover.

- Company processes are backwards. Too many to name. For example, when employees, travel, ALL receipts must be submitted. They can't even issue a Per Diem for travelling, which would save on their admin costs and time it takes to count all the receipts. Lost the $5 taxi receipt while working like a dog across the country for 2 weeks? Too bad - you're not getting your money back because the finance dept. is very anal about receipts.

-- lack of communication of the Canadian office with the US offices

Advice to Senior ManagementCOMMUNICATION is key

know the Canadian culture, and meeting Canadian work standards...not just the legal minimum.

Happy

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Brookfield, WI (US)

I have been working at Fiserv full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI've always been treated well at Fiserv. Great work atmosphere

ConsEmployees have some of the benefits that were expected because we didn't meet the mark but management could still get their bonus.

Room for improvement but could be worse

I have been working at Fiserv

ProsBeautiful facilities. The free perks like the endless supply of drinks is unmatched in any company I have ever worked for. The café plans are extremely convenient if you work during the day time. This would not be the case for evening and overnight shifts. Most of the immediate people I work with are fabulous and very knowledgeable and friendly. I personally have a great manager!

ConsFiserv must find a way to make wages more competitive. These jobs are not easy and the pay is far too low. Unfortunately newer associates are being brought in at higher rates and the loyal tenured associates are making far less.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate communication and local communication is in need of major improvements. The sad thing is everyone acknowledges this but it never gets any better.

A good start

I have been working at Fiserv full-time for more than a year

ProsA good place to start a career. You will get thrown in and on a lot of varied projects and pick up a lot of skills you won't learn in school. I've always came out learning more after every project. In a year I have worked with services, web, windows form and all kinds of other projects. It is really good when you are figuring out what projects you will like and what you want to work on. I may have a lot of negatives for the project management side but I like my coworkers and I like my manager.

ConsThere are a lot of corporate hoops to go through. Anything past your manager just seems to get in your way. You can get overloaded with work if you don't know how to manage the corporate pipeline. If you can't estimate your time well you can get bogged down. If they even think you might not be busy you can end up with too much work.

Advice to Senior ManagementWaterfall style is abysmal. Especially when you throw in customer commitments at any and every opportunity. You need to have a more flexible/agile approach or not push so hard to hit estimates that get blown up when requirements get changed/rushed at the end of project with a commitment nobody has heard about.

A growing company with motivation to provide a healthy work environment to associates.

Lead Network Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fiserv full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery technical environment with lots of collaboration. Associate benefits are always improving.

ConsThe company is consolidating redundant functions which is good for business but bad for the associate with a redundant position.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a more watchful eye on middle management. Some do not share the vision of corporate and do not buy into the corporate mantra.

Leadership lacks. Employees committed.

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Fiserv full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people, trying to do right by clients.

ConsWork overload. Difficult to manage all the work and business coming in the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe bold. Hire.

The company is a paradox

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fiserv full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe associates are passionate about doing the right thing for the clients

ConsTrying to work on too many things makes it difficult to implement anything

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Personally, my experience has been generally positive so far.

Client Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fiserv full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI really enjoy the actual work that I do (position suits me well).

ConsAlmost zero growth opportunities. In my role I have pretty much topped out. For several years I have brought this up during my annual review and have presented ideas, plans, etc. to substantiate that I want to continue growing. While it is hard to actually complain as I am still employed and make a fair salary, I throw myself into my work and that becomes a challenge when there are not any advancement opportunities. Overall the workplace environment is positive...some great people, great clients, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow the staff who are largely responsible for the success of Fiserv that you are as equally committed to them as they are to the company. Don't just promote people because they have a high technical skillset (which may actually be a detraction at the Management level) or because they are liked or have been there for a long time. Reward those who make a difference by having career/advancement opportunities available for them to EARN. While I like very much what I do I know I am not going to remain satisfied in my current role until retirement. Give me a reason to not start looking elsewhere.

Worked for Fiserv? Contribute to the Community!

Fiserv Videos

Fiserv – Why Work for Us?

Quick Facts Year founded: 1984 Headquarters: Brookfield, Wisconsin Locations: 155 worldwide Employees: Approximately 21,000 Revenue: $4.48 billion in 2012 Who We Are Fiserv, Inc. (NASDAQ: FISV) is a leading global… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fiserv reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Fiserv CEO Jeffery Yabuki. All 702 reviews are posted anonymously by Fiserv employees.