Fiserv

Updated 19 November, 2014
2.6

Fiserv President, CEO, and Director Jeffery Yabuki
Jeffery Yabuki

Pros
  • The work-life balance was exactly what I was looking for--40 hour work week (in 70 reviews)

• Current technologies with the option to work from home with manager approval (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge for many employees since this is a global company (in 22 reviews)

• It's all about trying to meet NOP just so that senior management can get their bonuses (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior developer

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Oakville, ON
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Oakville, ON

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Close work place from home.

Cons

To much take processing to fix programming

?

Fun, fun, fun, fun

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Fiserv

Pros

Fun place to work. Free drinks, healthy breakfast, pool table, foosball table. Competitive salaries, good opportunities for learning and growth.

Cons

All the Canadian offices closed. Headquarters were far away in an odd state (Atlanta, Georgia). Company was sold and re-branded.

Buy the company back. Make it the great place it was years ago. Hire the excellent talent again. Listen more closely.

Company is cheap; very little communication with upper management

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Fiserv

Pros

globally recognized company
    good banking system
    good, hard-working co-workers
    50% RRSP matching program

Cons

-- pay parking and it's quite pricey. About $90 per month for a parking pass, or $4 (must be coins) to pay at the parking meter. There are only a few parking passes available, and these are passed down only through attrition and who you're friends with. Why can a global company not pay for parking for its 20+ employees? One would expect pay parking in downtown Vancouver, but this part of Burnaby is an ugly concrete suburb far from downtown.

-- Vacation time is horrible for BC, Canada. Was offered 2 weeks. Never worked with a banking system company that offered so little. The IT industry standard is 3 weeks, the credit union standard in BC is 4 weeks. Fiserv is offering the absolute minimum. How are they going to attract and retain potential candidates who are accustomed to standard vacation time? As well, there is no program to 'grow' your vacation - for eg., in most companies, after 5 years, you get an added week of vacation. No such thing here. You're stuck at 2 weeks forever. There is no incentive to stay at the company. It's surprising that this is a large, global company. It's run like a mom and pops operation.

-- Benefits are horrible.

-- HR in the US office takes their time answering questions (expect at least 1 week waiting time to get a simple question answered)

- No staff parties in the history of the Canadian office. The only staff get-togethers are staff farewells

- High turnover.

- Company processes are backwards. Too many to name. For example, when employees, travel, ALL receipts must be submitted. They can't even issue a Per Diem for travelling, which would save on their admin costs and time it takes to count all the receipts. Lost the $5 taxi receipt while working like a dog across the country for 2 weeks? Too bad - you're not getting your money back because the finance dept. is very anal about receipts.

-- lack of communication of the Canadian office with the US offices

COMMUNICATION is key

know the Canadian culture, and meeting Canadian work standards...not just the legal minimum.

I'm Not Happy, But I have A Paycheck

Current Employee - Customer Solutions Associate in Dublin, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Solutions Associate in Dublin, OH (US)

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As far as call centers go, Fiserv does have the best one I have worked in. Clean, bright environment. Friendly people. Lots of "morale" activities. Nice benefits, even if they are pricey. The potential to earn a bonus each quarter. It is not hard to move around in the department which is nice because supporting the same thing for months and months can become tedious. Some flexibility of schedule. The annual review process does give you a voice to talk about the things you have accomplished through the year which is good. It does seem like the management in the call center tries to recognize people when they have done well, or have gone above and beyond. Some opportunity for project work and experience outside of your normal position.

Cons

Call Center metrics are aggressive and possibly unattainable if you aren't cutting corners which can be very frustrating. Compensation for most call center associates is poor. Occurrence system is pedantic at best and wildly disrespectful of the fact that human beings are not robots nor do their lives revolve around Fiserv. There needs to be better career paths for call center associates. There does seem to be a LOT of cronyism going on.

The Call Center environment (in any company) is an incredibly challenging environment to be an associate in. Being successful at the associate level, as it stands (in ANY call center), often requires you to sacrifice your basic needs, as well as suffer high levels of disrespect on a daily basis. It would be really great if we could change the current paradigm. I have heard so many associates talk about getting a "grown up job" when discussing how much they are dissatisfied working in the call center at Fiserv. This is because in our pursuit to please the client and drive service levels into the green, those of us working on the front lines are treated as children made to justify our ever action or lack there of. You are ranked and valued based on the most recent metrics report. Previous excellence and future potential mean very little and we associates are told that every day. Respect the associates as much as you do the customers and clients we serve. Make this feel like a "grown up job."

Fiserv, innovative financial services company

Former Employee - Customer Care Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Fiserv full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Completely transparent, you get what you are promised. Cool technology in bill pay products coming out frequently. If you do what you say you will, you will be recognized for your contributions.

Cons

I worked away from corporate office and often there was disconnect between home office and our office.

Continue to find the talents of people and give them responsibilities and financial benefit. Great employees throughout company waiting to do more.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Fiserv as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay for an internship.
    Great managers and coworkers.
    Friendly work environment.
    Casual attire.
    On-campus cafeteria.
    Growing company.

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities.
    Underwhelming and isolating office spaces.
    Lack of responsibilities.
    Too many hoops to jump through to get anything done (Corporate policies I suppose).

Too many changes

I worked at Fiserv

Pros

Depending on the department, you may just have an awesome supervisor. I was never micro-managed, so that was great.

Cons

Before all of the changes took place, this was a great company to work for. Suddenly, top management changed and all the new managers started hiring their friends and everything went crazy. Everyone's workload wasn't evenly distributed and things just became drastically unfair.

Appreciate those who have worked in the trenches for this company instead of swapping them out for your friends who know little to nothing. You're the reason the turnaround rate is increasing drastically.

They understand banking technology -- but not much about marketing

Former Employee - Senior Writer in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Writer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Fiserv as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Solid company that is well-positioned in their market -- banking technology. Given the nature of their product, they are data-driven with measurable goals and expectations.

Cons

I worked in the marketing department. The business decisions around branding and marketing were politically-driven with the total focus on pleasing people of influence within the organization.

Create a culture that invites customer-focused thinking and less concerned about internal dynamics

Good Experience

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to learn lot more about Processes and Banking.
    My experience was quite good. People can maintain good work-life balance.

Cons

Very low level politics. Even though higher management is good but team politics is damn dirty.

Great company. Leading products.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Fiserv

Pros

Competitive salary. Work from home flexibility.

Cons

Not much growth opportunity. People get frustrated after a while and move on.

Promote and recognize your top performers.