First Republic (CA)

First Republic (CA) Chairman and CEO James H. Herbert II

James H. Herbert II

Great Team, Managment and Company Culture

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, fantastic management (in my department) and a wonderful company culture.
Excellent benefits, including its own Wolfgang Puck cafe that is HEAVILY subsidized.

ConsGrowth is eminent so change can be positive or negative - too early to tell.

Good Company Transitioning from Midsize to Big with Normal Growing Pains

Various (Former Employee)

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company consistently grows year after year, has great people, and does its best to keep the service culture. One may develop some great professional friendships there.

ConsSince so many new people have been hired at all levels, keeping the culture is its biggest challenge. Those that keeps their head down to get things done must demonstrate their value to all. If you work there, do not be humble, show everyone how they benefit from your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease nurture that wonderful culture!

Very rewarding company to work for. Great company culture; lots of daily interactions with customers.

Online Banking Analyst (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at First Republic (CA) as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat group of young people who all have high ambitions for their future careers.

ConsAt times it can feel like being in a call center.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything on management's side is good. I would just recommend that you bring us on as employees rather than contractors.

Not what I signed up for

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone is friendly when you talk to them. If you are "clickee" it is a good fit. If you are whacked, your clients become a feeding frenzy for the rest of the sales people form observation, just know your clients will be taken care of when you leave.

ConsThere is no telling if what you think you are doing right is what they want you to do. Or if you are meeting the guidelines they have set up for you or even what they are. You never really know if you are doing good or bad. Be careful with anyone that lures you to the company. They promise the world and give you a small island.

Not A Social Media Or a Tech Bank!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome smart people, but not a lot.

ConsToo stuck in their ways. They would promote people, so others can be laid off. No midware infrastructure.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to help people who are younger than you without yell at them. Really what was that all about?

A look back from a former analyst

Operations Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time for more than a year

ProsDepending on your department, you could find nice people spread throughout. The Eagle Cafe was an affordable lunch.

Cons-It may be the nature of financial institutions, but I always got the impression that you could get stabbed in the back or thrown under the bus by many, many sources in the company.

-Serious separation of management from worker bees. You didn't know what was going to happen until it was happening.

-Relentless demands with few resources and severely outdated technology.

-Demands. Fire drills.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage. Don't lock yourself away behind office doors and expect the ship to run smoothly without leadership

Budget cuts and unqualified workers create uneasy work climate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Some great, kind, intelligent people work for this company
-Located in the Financial District of SF
-Medical and 401k benefits are great, but not much else is offered
-The company has a decent amount of events (holiday, employee benefitting events, recognitions)
-Down-to-earth, mindful of local pop-culture

Cons-Many workers not qualified or the best available for the jobs they do and ineffective employees
-Hire a lot of cheap work, many employees have terrible communication and critical thinking skills as well as poor work ethic
-Budget cuts interfere with department goals while upper management continues to pressure for results
-Typical Corporate America popularity contest hierarchy
-Salaries are average, raises given for performance are scarce and insignificant, a lot of "title promotions"
-Employee facilities are outdated, many departments are forced to pack employees into confined areas while while executive floors often remain empty for weeks during moves

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher younger brighter employees who are educated and personable. Reform the selection process and offer better benefits which improve employees lives. Grow your valuable employees and get rid of those who are ineffective.

Private Wealth Management

Senior Loan Support Specialist/Underwriter (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

ProsRockcenter, Christmas Tree, cafeteria, shopping

Consits not always what you know, its who you know.

Frustrating, they sold me a big story, but in the end, I can't actually do the job I was hired to do.

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good company culture. No budgets. They are generous with salary, less so with benefits.

ConsParts of the organization are very conservative. Technology is stone-age. Doesn't move very fast.

Not what I signed up for.

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time for more than 3 years

Prosget deals done quick. however you really need to work with the senior credit team, they are tough to crack and work with, it takes over 3 years to get in their "group"... and its never guaranteed to work.

Consits like working for the Italian mob youre either a made man or your a sitting duck ready to get whacked. They promise you the world but they never deliver on it.

Advice to Senior Managementsupport the people that help you thrive, don't forget about who keeps you on the top of the food chain.

Worked for First Republic (CA)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Republic (CA) reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for First Republic (CA) CEO James H. Herbert II. All 45 reviews are posted anonymously by First Republic (CA) employees.