Fifth Third

www.53.com

Fifth Third Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat

Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • They treat their employees terrible and have no regards for work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • New upper management in the Chicago area have a personal agenda (in 29 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company that cares about their employees

Retail Personal Banker (Current Employee) Naples, FL (US)

Pros5/3 is fantastic place to work. They are an organization that recognizes and rewards their employees for performance and production. They really do want to promote from within.I started with 5/3 four years ago. Since then I have been promoted me 4 times! From a part time teller to full time, to lead teller, to senior teller to personal banker. Now, I'm currently going through the bank's sponsored licensing program to become a licensed personal banker! Exceptional managerial coaching, fantastic business partners, and hard work has helped me develop and learn the skills necessary for my success and promotions. Employees are very fortunate to have upper management who are ethical and people of their word. I'm going to be vague here. In my case I was told if I do "X" then in return I will receive "Y" by a certain date. Well "X' was accomplished in that time frame and "Y" was received as promised, with nothing written or signed. 5/3 is ethical, appreciative, and cares about their employees

ConsWorking in banking can be a very stressful environment. You must be able to manage your book of business effectively during busy times of the year (during season). This can be hard to do with expectation set by the bank to follow up with every client you meet(sometimes 20 clients). On the flip side, when season is over you must be able to generate and create business. This is where most bankers fail, they rely too much on walk-in clients during season and don't follow up with them. You must build a book of business and manage it effectively in order to meet your goals during the slow times of the year. Some coworkers feel micromanaged by expectations and little things 5/3 requires us to do and track. I can see why they think this, but I know these requirements are established to help us succeed in the long term. Lastly, some managers are strict regarding scheduling: giving you less say in the hours you work. While other managers let you manage your hours as long as you stay at 40/week

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more faith in your employees to do their job and get results. There are too many extra micro management type of requirements that are time consuming and tedious. The consumer lending under writing process needs to be improved. We need to do something to help expedite the approval of applications and the overall time to get a loan clear to close. Our competitors can get it done in 2 weeks, why can't we? We also need to be more realistic about goals and more mindful of specific markets and the banking centers locations in specific markets. I.E. South West FL will naturally have a lower number of consumer loans booked, because the majority of the people are older and in retirement in this market and they don't want debt. Conversely investment revenue will be higher; a market of mostly older retirees wants to invest/protect assets while trying to generate MORE income vs. taking out loans and creating an extra liability. That's why you see so much more deposit balance growth vs. consumer loans being booked, these clients want liquidity not liabilities. Communication is great when its retail to retail but terrible when it's a retail employee to mortgage/insurance/underwriting/53securities etc. There needs to be a better and faster way to communicate with our business partners. There needs to be improvement within our intranet when attempting to look up number for a specific department for example finding the specific number for escrow questions or early loan payoff etc. Upper management should consider the location of banking centers and the expectation of net house hold growth. It's just flat out harder for some branches to obtain new house holds then others based on location. Lastly, I wouldn't change a thing about personal growth, promotions and development. There are so many excellent tools and resources available for any employee who has the motivation for personal growth and desire to get promoted. Management shouldn't be responsible for an individuals growth and development plan. The individual should be responsible and use their manager as a resource as to how to achieve their goal.

It was all right, very male dominated though.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsNot really hard or challenging

ConsHard to move up and be promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let racists be the managers...

I Love 5/3

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Louisville, KY (US)

ProsThe customers and the co worker like family environment. Forming bonds with co workers that grow ovwer the years.

ConsNot enough time in the day to enjoy my job

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to love respect cherish and honor your employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fifth third genuinely cares about their employees

Retail Personal Banker (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsThey promote from within as long as you work hard and reach your sales goals. Great benefits, family oriented, great place to work.

ConsThe goals are tough to reach. There are times where your goals can be higher then the branch goals. Not enough staff, plan on working a lot of weekends.

Flexible

ProsWorks well for a part timer

ConsSales goals as a teller were the worst part

Crap!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Louisville, KY (US)

ProsI enjoyed building relationships with the customers. They worked with my schedule for school. Hours were good and we were off for all federal holidays.

ConsMoving up in this company is about who you know. Working in a small building allows room for tension with other coworkers if you don't get along. Management doesn't care about you growing professionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees and try to develop them professionally

Car Sales Tactics

Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGreat company for hard cold call type sells. The company is great for developing career driven sales employees.

ConsThe company engages in car sales tactics. The retail banking department has a meeting weekly called the "firing line", where if you have not meet your goal for the month you are now the target. Fifth Third retail banking is disorganized and extremely cheap in regard to the level of pay deserved by its employees. Be expected to regularly conduct wire, acquire business accounts and card processing account, obtain investment account, in addition to opening consumer account and credit cards

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more organized, increase pay and provide better training for employees

Prefer to hire externally

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsNice people, good hours and holidays. Good first job. Good work life balance.

ConsNot much room for growth depending on position, high turnover rate, and they prefer to hire externally when jobs become available. Constantly short staffed and having to scramble to cover for missing people which creates stressful situations.

From good to bad to really bad

Processing Clerk (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

Pros401k matching- vacation days- low cost dental insurance, occasional free pizza or pitch-in dinner, profit sharing benefit at end of the year

ConsAfter 2008 with the financial fallout, it became a constant case of squeezing employees with more work for the same pay or a very tiny raise. Then came outsourcing of jobs and fewer hours per week. But this is probably true for most mid to big size banks. The typical brown-noser(s) who would rag on fellow employees to get in good with the clueless manager didn't help the environment either.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo one of importance in executive position ever visited my location which showed how low they thought of the workers which didn't help the morale in any way. Practice what you preach- bank customers are now looked upon as sales meat to be exploited in any way possible with any dubious product if not unethical product. But this too probably goes for most banks nowadays.

Good people, poor Sr. Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChicago downtown location has a great environment, good people to work with. You'll get your share of experience here because there is a definite "sink or swim" culture here

ConsI've been working there nearly 8 years and it seems as if every year or 2 there are DRASTIC changes within the company. When these changes occur, they don't seem to be very well though out. As usually it results in pure chaos, and employees under stress because due to the new procedures, certain areas of support are no longer available. It's almost like upper management gets some "great idea" and throws it off on middle management. Then regular employees are left to pick up the pieces. This makes things extremely difficult for clients & employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry counseling with the departments before serious changes are made, so that when things are put into place we are prepared to tackle on any issues that may arise. Or at least create a level of support so that customer's aren't impacted.

Worked for Fifth Third? Contribute to the Community!