Fifth Third

Fifth Third Reviews

Updated 16 August, 2014
Updated 16 August, 2014

3.2

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • They treat their employees terrible and have no regards for work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • New upper management in the Chicago area have a personal agenda (in 29 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company that cares about their employees

Current Employee - Retail Personal Banker  in  Naples, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Personal Banker in Naples, FL (US)

Pros

5/3 is fantastic place to work. They are an organization that recognizes and rewards their employees for performance and production. They really do want to promote from within.I started with 5/3 four years ago. Since then I have been promoted me 4 times! From a part time teller to full time, to lead teller, to senior teller to personal banker. Now, I'm currently going through the bank's sponsored licensing program to become a licensed personal banker! Exceptional managerial coaching, fantastic business partners, and hard work has helped me develop and learn the skills necessary for my success and promotions. Employees are very fortunate to have upper management who are ethical and people of their word. I'm going to be vague here. In my case I was told if I do "X" then in return I will receive "Y" by a certain date. Well "X' was accomplished in that time frame and "Y" was received as promised, with nothing written or signed. 5/3 is ethical, appreciative, and cares about their employees

Cons

Working in banking can be a very stressful environment. You must be able to manage your book of business effectively during busy times of the year (during season). This can be hard to do with expectation set by the bank to follow up with every client you meet(sometimes 20 clients). On the flip side, when season is over you must be able to generate and create business. This is where most bankers fail, they rely too much on walk-in clients during season and don't follow up with them. You must build a book of business and manage it effectively in order to meet your goals during the slow times of the year. Some coworkers feel micromanaged by expectations and little things 5/3 requires us to do and track. I can see why they think this, but I know these requirements are established to help us succeed in the long term. Lastly, some managers are strict regarding scheduling: giving you less say in the hours you work. While other managers let you manage your hours as long as you stay at 40/week

Have more faith in your employees to do their job and get results. There are too many extra micro management type of requirements that are time consuming and tedious. The consumer lending under writing process needs to be improved. We need to do something to help expedite the approval of applications and the overall time to get a loan clear to close. Our competitors can get it done in 2 weeks, why can't we? We also need to be more realistic about goals and more mindful of specific markets and the banking centers locations in specific markets. I.E. South West FL will naturally have a lower number of consumer loans booked, because the majority of the people are older and in retirement in this market and they don't want debt. Conversely investment revenue will be higher; a market of mostly older retirees wants to invest/protect assets while trying to generate MORE income vs. taking out loans and creating an extra liability. That's why you see so much more deposit balance growth vs. consumer loans being booked, these clients want liquidity not liabilities. Communication is great when its retail to retail but terrible when it's a retail employee to mortgage/insurance/underwriting/53securities etc. There needs to be a better and faster way to communicate with our business partners. There needs to be improvement within our intranet when attempting to look up number for a specific department for example finding the specific number for escrow questions or early loan payoff etc. Upper management should consider the location of banking centers and the expectation of net house hold growth. It's just flat out harder for some branches to obtain new house holds then others based on location. Lastly, I wouldn't change a thing about personal growth, promotions and development. There are so many excellent tools and resources available for any employee who has the motivation for personal growth and desire to get promoted. Management shouldn't be responsible for an individuals growth and development plan. The individual should be responsible and use their manager as a resource as to how to achieve their goal.

Fantastic experience, I really enjoyed the training.

Pros

Great pay, excellent benefits, a truly team oriented company.

Cons

Hours at a Bank Mart not great

Great people heading in the right direction

Pros

the company is amazing and preparing you for the job with great learning courses and ways to reinforce your ability to do a sales job.
    -great way to start
    -easy to network and meet other people
    -be adaptible to a change mentality

Cons

low starting pay a lot of work and expectations that do not pay off in the long run

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

one of the best places I have work

Former Employee - Lockbox Processor  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Lockbox Processor in Cincinnati, OH (US)

Pros

the hours they offer are good for me, it let me still be home with my child. The work area is nice to work and easy to move around.

Cons

cafeteria not open on weehends

Relaxed corporate culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Madisonville, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madisonville, OH (US)

Pros

Work-life balance is easily attained when working at Fifth Third Bank. Departments act somewhat independently which helps distract from the large-corporation-environment one would expect.

Cons

Bureaucratic/corporate processes, internet is locked down (no entertainment, social networks, software-serving sites). Personally, the location is a bit inconvenient as it's in the dead-center of the Cincinnati metropolis area, which means it's hard to avoid traffic!

It was all right, very male dominated though.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN (US)

Pros

Not really hard or challenging

Cons

Hard to move up and be promoted

Don't let racists be the managers...

Great co-workers, believe in selling, not banking.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Teller  in  Madisonville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Teller in Madisonville, KY (US)

Pros

Easy to move up if motivated. Ample opportunity to make money.

Cons

All about sells. If you aren't making the sales, you will be making camp calls. Constantly checking people's accounts to see where they are spending money (seeing if customers are paying car, mortgage, stocks, etc else where).

Just get back in to the tradition of banking.

Good while it lasted

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Columbus, OH (US)

Pros

People and management were great to work with.

Cons

A constant merry go round of layoffs thought the years.

My particular mass layoff was not handled well at all. No attempt to re organize displaced Workers within the company what so ever. Last payroll screwed up etc, at a very stressful time for the employee, they did not really seem to care. Very un professional how it was handled.

Pay is low.

Pros

friendly staff, everyone gets along

Cons

some workers don't even notice when a customer walks in

Sales not Service

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cadillac, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cadillac, MI (US)

Pros

Bank Hours, Paid Holidays Off, Long Lunch Breaks

Cons

NO room to advance, too political. Hard work will get a target on your head for fear of you replacing them.

Treat your employees with the respect you expect.

Worked for Fifth Third? Contribute to the Community!