Fifth Third Reviews in Cincinnati, OH

Updated 18 August, 2014
Updated 18 August, 2014

3.2

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • They treat their employees terrible and have no regards for work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • New upper management in the Chicago area have a personal agenda (in 29 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

127 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

one of the best places I have work

Former Employee - Lockbox Processor  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Lockbox Processor in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Fifth Third part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the hours they offer are good for me, it let me still be home with my child. The work area is nice to work and easy to move around.

Cons

cafeteria not open on weehends

OK Company ... Bad Culture

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Teller  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Teller in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Fifth Third full-time for more than a year

Pros

Had a good branch manager, okay incentives for sales, room for growth in other areas of the bank (besides retail banking), good employee benefits.

Cons

Terrible culture for women, most senior management are men with 'the good ol' boys' mentality.

At the short time I was there, they got rid of the Customer Service Manager position, which was >80% women who had hit a (short) glass ceiling within the company. This move lost them a lot of organizational knowledge, leading to diminishing customer service.

Policy changes are not communicated well with the employees.

The branch I was employed at was in a high-crime area, and 5/3 provided little security, leading to altercations with outraged customers.

Good Place to Start

Current Employee - Credit Analyst  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is very supportive of responding to staff needs and making changes when needed. Benefits are comparable with similar employers. The environment is very laid back and employees seem to maintain positive attitudes.

Cons

It can be challenging to move into another area of the bank, little opportunity to network within the bank. It's difficult to grow a career here if your department does not have a built-in track. There does not seem to be much of a focus of growing employees within the company, and it feels your best opportunity for growing your career is to explore options at other companies.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Moving in right direction but lots of history and politics to overcome

Former Employee - Manager, IT  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Manager, IT in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Fifth Third full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Like the headquarters of most large companies, there a lots of opportunities to meet people in different functions, learn about other areas of the firm, and create inroads to new career opportunities. The pay is decent, too. Lots of good people work here. Great location in the middle of downtown Cincinnati.

Cons

Lots of internal politics, people who never follow through on promises, huge focus on "face time." Workload management is generally load up your subordinates until things are constantly falling off their plates, then change their priorities. This is due to the fact that the bank struggles to set priorities for the organization as a whole from the top down. Groups who support the whole enterprise then get caught in the ricochet of competing priorities from the business units.

Continue adjusting your business models to enhance the ability of the enterprise support groups to meet their clients' needs in a timely manner.

Create an environment where it's ok to say something doesn't work and to suggest a better way.

Provide more and better training.

Structured with Opportunity for Ownership

Former Employee - Audit Leadership Program  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Audit Leadership Program in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Fifth Third as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very structured program and they put you on assignments they believe you would be interested in. Great people to work with and a cool environment. The location of the office can't be beat. Seniors give you the opportunity to take ownership of your assignments and contribute immediately.

Cons

With the structure and limits on hours it is tough to do more. Pay was decent but not high end.

Higher pay would pull in better talent. I think after working at 5/3 it is tough to not love the company.

Running thin

Current Employee - Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large organization with many local opportunities. The company has some talented people, and some are rewarded for their contributions.

Cons

Management is running the organization too lean for sustainable success. Many systems need updated, and 5 jobs for every 3 people has some truth to it.

Don't be pennywise and pound foolish.

Banks are intresting

Current Employee - Lead Business Analyst  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Business Analyst in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Renewed focus on employees, frequent employee engagement activities at least in the IT department. Great experiance, provides challenges on a daily basis that allow an employee to grow and organically enhance their skillset. Great co-workers.

Cons

Pay is lower than average and HR is aloof to the fact. Tons of management layers. Even with the many layers of management advancement can take a fair amount of time.
    Banking in general is laden with regulations and rules, so many times doing what should be a simple thing takes 10 times longer and costs 20 times more than it should.

Micro managed

Former Employee - Retail Personal Banker  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Personal Banker in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Fifth Third full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, coworkers, and great customer base.

Cons

You may have 5 different managers telling you 5 different ways to get the same results.

Screen the management before hiring. My manager led me to leave 5/3, and after I left that same manager was let go for the reasons I had already talked to upper management about.

In Branch Work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Milford, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milford, OH (US)

I have been working at Fifth Third part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work experience and wonderful people to work with.

Cons

Only opportunity to advance is with Sales. Promotions are slow to happen.

To better value the hard workers and to have more opportunities to move up in the company (not just sales)

It was a job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Fifth Third as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I was able to learn some about the lending industry.

Cons

I was a temp worker, and there was never a clear path to full time employment even though I did the same job as full time workers. HR gives no preference to former workers or temp workers in making their hiring decisions. You either have to know someone or kiss up to the right people in order to move up in the company.

Quit pretending like Fifth Third is a great place to work and actually do something to back it up

Worked for Fifth Third? Contribute to the Community!