Ferris State University

Be The First To
Add Photos

David L. Eisler

Computer Support Technician - Student

Student Computer Technician (Current Employee) Big Rapids, MI (US)

ProsFlexible hours, prioritizes school, and some autonomy.

ConsUnsupported work place by upper management. Minimum wage, lack of respect, and training.

Advice to Senior ManagementFair pay, respect, and not allowing employees to get away with doing a bad job.

Williams Auditorium

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGetting to work during different performances and events is a lot of fun. I enjoy the theatre in general which is a major added benefit of being able to work there.

ConsHours are inconsistent due to schedule of events.

Faculty

Faculty (Current Employee) Big Rapids, MI (US)

ProsFocused engineering, technology curriculums. Technology faculty have significant industrial experience and not just academic experience. Teaching focus to pass on the profession. Big Rapids is a good rural community vs congested metro life.

ConsFocused engineering, technology curriculums tend to make people overly protective of their "turf". Too myopic sometimes. Lately, administration is changing university focus in a direction away from a career focus and more to political correctness, liberal arts, and general education.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdministration is changing university focus in a direction away from a career focus and more to political correctness, liberal arts, and general education.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Everyone is very Expendable

Graduate Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Big Rapids, MI (US)

ProsI worked in an administrative support role so it was fairly easy work. Most of the people I worked with were nice and easy to get along with.

ConsOffice Politics, the powers that be like to treat students poorly and than ask them for donations as soon as they graduate. Good luck with that.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf management wants to increase donations from alumni they should reevaluate how they treat students while they are there.

Overall, it was a job that paid well with flexible scheduling

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Big Rapids, MI (US)

ProsGood pay rate, flexible scheduling, and creative freedom

ConsA decentralized environment where requests may take a while to be fulfilled

Good employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery easy going workplace, good bosses.

ConsHard to get ft work. When the school is on break, you are out of work and that gets exspensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great place to work

Pros- Establish close relationships
    -Higher management treat their employees with respect
    -Dining offers gourmet food at the Rock

Cons-Location, it's in the middle of no where

Campus

Dsa (Former Employee) Big Rapids, MI (US)

ProsWork study is guaranteed pay and experience and you work with fellow peers.

ConsNot always the most interesting jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to treat the students with respect. They are working for you by choice.

Not the ideal place to work, even for a university cafeteria.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work hours, work around school schedule. Close to campus, walking distance from many of the dorms. Extremely easy to get in, no interview, just have to fill out some paperwork.

ConsOften drama because most employees are college students. Management is not very helpful and often in a bad mood, tend to play favorites and sometimes rude to the student employees. Boring and often tedious work. No room for advancement, no raises, pay is not what it should be for the workload. Minimum wage unless you are a student supervisor. Often stressful. Strict rule for a cafeteria, must wear black shirt underneath work coat, no painted nails, no facial piercings, only two piercings allowed on ears, no earrings larger than a dime. Even if you are not working with customers. Have to wear this hideous black hat with flames that tends to get in the way. Their motto: "Breaks are a privilege." Yes, you may work 6 hours and not get a break. Occasionally have screw-ups when it comes to switching hours with other students. Even if someone signs off that they are taking your shift it's possible you'll still get blamed if they don't show up. They're organization needs work, too. They still called me for a week after I quit asking why I wasn't at work. You think they'd write it down somewhere that I no longer worked there.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less strict, it's a college cafeteria. Most of the people who see the workers are other college students. Also, treat all employees fairly, no favorites, and maybe act like you actually like being at work.

Overall - good place to work

Professor (Former Employee)

ProsFor a university - leadership pretty accessible. Friendly and helpful staff and faculty. Small town feel - many people have been there ten years or more. Not overly bureaucratic. Room for self initiative. A lot of really good "teachers".

ConsLots of interim management. A bit adversarial in union negotiations. On the other hand - union was unnecessarily combative.

President made a lot of noise when he came in about being real collaborative and seeking the voice of staff and faculty. Mostly smoke and mirrors - sought the advice, but ignored it as best i can tell.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeans have got to be held more accountable and more of an advocate for their staff and faculty. A bit of the King of the Silo effect.

Worked for Ferris State University? Contribute to the Community!