Ferrellgas Partners Reviews

Updated 20 August, 2014
Updated 20 August, 2014

Ferrellgas Partners CEO Stephen L. Wambold
Stephen L. Wambold

A better-than-average driving job with many ups and downs

Current Employee - Bulk Driver  in  Melrose Park, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Bulk Driver in Melrose Park, IL (US)

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Deliveries have a large window, so there isn't the pressure to arrive at a customer's location at a specific time. You can deliver at your own pace, as long as it's reasonably productive. It isn't back breaking labor, but enough to keep you in shape.

Cons

There's a higher than average turnover rate, which can make your work schedule unexpectedly long. Regardless, the winter seasons have always demanded long hours: if you like to work 40 hours a week or predictable, consistent hours, this job can be extremely frustrating for you. Vehicle breakdowns add to your hours, as they keep trucks long after they have become unreliable. They promised tuition reimbursement, but, even though I have filled out all of the paperwork every semester, they've never made good on this promise. They want you to deliver stops in the order determined by their new automated computer system, but the stop order doesn't always make sense, as the routing doesn't take into account truck route restrictions, railroads, etc. and the fact the routing will bring you to stops at times that may be bad for the customer (before or after hours, a time where the yard is too busy, etc). Driver suggestions are ignored.

Drivers shouldn't be forced to work excessive overtime for month after month. Drivers that leave for work before their children wake up should be able to get home before they go to sleep. Driver input for routing should be given due respect and not ignored.

District Manager

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Safety Program / Good Pay / Quality Equipment / Ability to make a fair amount of significant decisions for your own operation.

Cons

Pricing killed competitiveness in my area. Customer's failure to plan often becomes an "emergency" for the driver or district manager on call.

Give customers a real value that they can see to justify the often higher prices.

Free to think out of the box. Supported me 100% with my marketing plans.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Mankato, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Mankato, MN (US)

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent training, I can't find any fault.

Cons

Can't, they were fair to me.

Sales training needs help. Don't assume all sales people know how to present a product,etc.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company; HORRIBLE management!

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits; days off were pleasant when you knew what your schedule was.

Cons

Pay VERY sub-par for how hard you work. You will need back and shoulder surgery if you make it 2 years. It doesn't matter how hard you work, you are only a number. If you have a voice or concerns, leave your voice at home. You will be fired if you question safety concerns. Zero chance of advancement. Two-faced managers who are belittling men in a text message, but your best friend to your face. DO NOT work here if you enjoy your family.

Listen to your drivers and little people. Get back to the company that cares about your customers and employee. Remember that "Money is the root of all evil."

Loved the customers, loved the coworkers, wouldn't spit on management if they were ablaze.

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Supportive co workers. You develop one on one relationships with your customers

Cons

Boss was dishonest. Made it sound like other employees were complaining in order to make you do more than you were legally allowed to do. Constant demand for 60 hours of work to be done in 40 hours. Better not get overtime, but you'd better finish it all... oh, here's another 5 stops to fit in the day.

Don't lie to your employees, they do talk to each other

Enlightening but yet what an experience.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Santa Fe, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Santa Fe, NM (US)

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

401k investment opportunity, Employee stock, medical insurance coverage for full time employees, Propane & appliance discounts, payed uniform allotment of $125.00 annually and depending on how the company is doing that year a free turkey & ham for Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Cons

Being monitored digitaly on phone call times and standby times. CSS 's are given an estimate of 4 minutes per call & are monitored constantly on case loads, Web activity is logged in the background as any other large company.
    CSS pay is inconsistent from service center to service center with some well experienced CSS' s being there for several plus years making around $11.00 an hour compared to an alternate location 60 miles away paying new hires almost $14 plus an hour. Company wide there was finally a 3% raise given after 5 plus years this does not quite make up for the increase of cost of living.

Stop micro managing... Offer better incentives to bring up productivity! Remember you can always catch me Flys with honey then vinegar.

The company was too focused on micro-management top to bottom

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wealth of information available through the company intranet

Cons

Generally low pay with excessive expectations

Hire good people and allow them to perform

Family Feel with Great Benefits

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been with Ferrellgas for over 12 years and I can honestly say I look forward to going to work every day. Although this is a large company with locations nationwide our local office feels like a family and that is how the folks at the corporate office have always treated me. I like the "open door" policy that our CEO has and anytime I've ever emailed him I've always gotten a speedy answer. A couple of times over the years the answer came via a personal phone call! It feels good to work for a company that really cares about the employees and their families. The ESOP is one of my favorite things at the company. I didn't think much about it when I started working here, but now I really look forward to the letters that come during the year. Hard to believe I've got that much saved up for retirement without putting in a dime of my own money!

Cons

Always tough working outside in the winter and being on call isn't my favorite thing, but I understand that we are just taking care of our customers. I've eaten my share of cookies from grateful customers during the holiday season!

Keep listening to the employees. No one knows our customers better.

Great Company

Current Employee - Corporate Office  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great company that offers a strong compensation package along with a ESOP that is completely funded by the company. As a working parent the flexibility that Ferrellgas offers is a huge plus for my family.

Cons

Retail propane is a weather driven business and in extended periods of above normal temperatures sometimes difficult decisions have to be made. During these times management does what it has to do for its customers, the business and company employees.

Keep doing what you have been doing and don't let potential short term weather issues change your long term course.

Ferrellgas has always let me put my family and their needs first. Very family oriented company.

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ferrellgas is very involved with the communities they service. They are also very generous with numerous Charity Bobtails that give a portion of the proceeds to different organization. There are several Breast Cancer trucks, an MS truck, Autism truck, multiple Military trucks, KC Crimestoppers truck, Diabetes truck, Leukemia and Lymphoma truck. I have always felt like I have mattered and can make a difference. It feels like one big family.

Cons

Weather dependant to an extent, but with new technologies we are becoming less dependant and more efficient.

Keep listening to your employees and keep the customers needs first. They are the two most important pieces in ensuring we keep our business as successful as it has been in the past.

Worked for Ferrellgas Partners? Contribute to the Community!