Fenwick & West

Updated 16 October, 2014
4.2

Gordon K. Davidson

Fits Silicon Valley

Former Employee - Helpdesk Technician in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Technician in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very amiable and efficient work environment.

Cons

The division of departments within the office building could be improved.

I loved working at Fenwick

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room to learn, value employees. Good place to career.

Cons

Stuck in the same position, no room for advancement.

I may retire here

Current Employee - Information Technology Guy in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Information Technology Guy in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I feel valued and supported by my management and team. I am quite happy with my compensation and the work I am doing is exciting and challenging. The culture here is very diverse and very unique. I really think this may be the best place that I have ever worked and its definitely not my first. Fenwick is committed to using cutting edge technology and doesn't skimp on technology resources for its employees. Event our onsite datacenter is world class and leed platinum certified.

Cons

We get moved around a lot. I guess we are running out of space here..

Stay calm and party on!

Stratified

Former Employee - Secretary in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Secretary in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The San Francisco office at least is in a lovely location, and the interior decoration is nice.

Cons

It's very stratified. Although attorneys depend on administrative staff, the two classes of employees are treated completely differently, not only in terms of respect but in the matter of what benefits each is eligible to receive. It makes it difficult to have a cohesive work culture.

You may have employees performing different functions, and of course the attorneys should be more highly compensated, but unless you can do without the administrative staff you should make it clear that they're valued. Solicit and listen to their opinions.

Okay.

I worked at Fenwick & West

Pros

Good compensation and decent benefits.

Cons

Bill, bill, bill. All the time.

Fantastic tech-focused law firm.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Fenwick & West

Pros

The people are fantastic. Everyone is kind and friendly, and even the most important partners take an interest in the associates. We also have really great tech clients and we are involved in some of the largest deals in the silicon valley.

Cons

Like every big law firm, the hours are very long, and you are "on-call" all the time. Since we are on number of clients/deals at any particular time, there is a lot of juggling involved.

Great place for High Tech professionals

I have been working at Fenwick & West

Pros

Fenwick is a great and fun place to work. Employees are treated fairly, pay and benefits are good. They are on the leading edge of business technology and always looking to improve. The workload can be heavy at times, but is well balanced.

Cons

One could almost say good to a fault... The employees tend to stick around a long time, so there may not be a ton of room for advancement fresh ideas coming in.

Cutting edge work, often very busy, but great environment.

I have been working at Fenwick & West

Pros

Interesting and unobjectionable clients.
    Creativity and client service are valued over sheer quantity of hours worked.
    Employer's attention to professional development, diversity, and need for life outside of work.

Cons

Like any firm this size, there are occasionally very busy periods that demand a lot of accommodation from employees' families.

Great place to LEARN with great management

I have been working at Fenwick & West

Pros

My co-workers are very warm and caring people. I am open to ask questions to my managers and get suggestions/advice/answers. That is completely different from the last firm, question for a question that ended up making me feel stupid. The benefits of kitchen things like milk, half & half, coffee (Peets and Starbucks), sodas always a plus. Beautiful building with great views of Mountain View, CA.

Working for an amazing and inspiring legal firm in the bay area. You can learn a lot from management, the work that you are involved in, and be inspired by management skills. Big clients, internationally involved, very green, and great people to share ideas and learn from everyone.

Cons

No growth opportunity yet in my department.

Keep up the great work. I enjoyed my temp position and hope to be perm in the near future. Proud to work for Fenwick & West.

Fenwick ROCKS!

Current Employee - Chief Professional Development Officer in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Fenwick & West

Pros

Fenwick rocks. It's a fun, supportive, caring place. Regardless of your position, you are valued as a mamber of the team. Upper management values diversity, and people are allowed and encouraged to be themselves. People at this law firm don't take themselves too seriously. I've been at other law firms where partners slammed doors and swore at the staff. Here, that doesn't happen. The Chairman won't allow it. We also don't have a million policies and rules for everything. People are expected to do their best, and they are trusted and given the latitude to make decisions and take risks. There is a lot of reward for doing so. We celebrate our successes every year at what we call State of the Firm. It's two hours of skits and performances and it features a wide range of people in the firm, from all our offices (San Francisco, Boise, Seattle and Mountain View). It's a highlight of the year. I've been here 11 years and I can't imagine going anywhere else. The firm recently won the Alfred P. Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility, and we always win the Best Places to Work Award. No one here is ever surprised.

Cons

Sometimes the onsite gym is crowded. And sometimes there isn't enough food at the Friday "Beer's Here" happy hours. Seriously, sometimes there is a lot of pressure. Working in a busy law firm, for clients who have very high expectations, can take its toll. But the people I work with are supportive and understanding, and we care about one another. We pitch in and help one another. When someone is having a hard time there are a dozen people who jump in to help him/her. There is some anxiety right now because of the economy, and many companies are having layoffs, but I think that's everywhere, not just at Fenwick.

Keep doing what you're doing to build the firm and keep it strong. Continue to communicate with employees throughout the firm so we can all work toward achieving Fenwick's strategic goals.