FedEx

FedEx Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

FedEx Chairman, President, and CEO Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Pros:
  • "The company cares about their employees and promotes a work life balance"
    in 103 reviews
  • "Good benefits which are offered to all employees (full & part time)"
    in 67 reviews
Cons:
  • "work/life balance can be difficult, but I think this is the standard these days wherever you are"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Upper management not being realistic about work loads for hourly employee"
    in 27 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best of the best

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at FedEx full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWe are a company that continually strives to ensure the greatest experience for employees and customers alike. It is very challenging and not necessarily for all but rewards are great, and camaraderie is true.

ConsSometimes too much programming and not enough common sense...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on learning and adapting. Don't stop communicating. For upper management; really headed in the right direction.

Good learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at FedEx part-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is above average

ConsHard to move up within company

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more of an open-door policy in order to improve moral and work culture

worked at fedex as package handler

Package Handler (Former Employee)

I worked at FedEx part-time for more than 3 years

Prostuition reimbursement, good wage, health care (now).

Conslabor work, hard to move up.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

A great company to work for!

Senior Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at FedEx full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA solid team of tenured professionals that are empowered to do a great job!

ConsTough industry to do well in

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for those who may want to move up

Customer Service

Customer Service (Former Employee)

I worked at FedEx part-time for more than a year

ProsFun teammates, interesting work, excellent human resources, lots of training, very clean and comfortable environment

ConsSome stress, tight deadlines, printing machines were sometimes slow or broke down which caused more stress

Advice to Senior ManagementInternet-based training not very helpful. Hands-on training much more valuable.

FedEx

Courier (Former Employee)
Saskatoon, SK

I worked at FedEx part-time for less than a year

ProsInternational company with reasonable benefits.
Training program includes videos, manuals, tests and buddy training.
Good people to work with and Saskatoon has a very nice facility.
Saskatoon management team was eager to help you succeed.

ConsMy biggest surprise and perhaps disappointment is that the technology the company uses is so antiquated. For most people, looking up addresses on a map can be tedious and time consuming. When you are new, that is the way it is done.

Try to imagine doing this manual look up for 70-100 packages/envelopes a day and then trying to frame that into a route/run where you are minimizing (or trying to minimize) the amount of time you spend doubling back on yourself. Of course, if you have a regular route, over the weeks and months you will improve in this regard but for someone new it is almost tragic.

I am sure that eventually they will incorporate more GPS and the morning sorts and truck set-ups will carry a higher degree of automation but for now things are firmly embedded in the early 1990's.

No coffee breaks, very easy to miss lunch breaks when busy.

Advice to Senior Management1. GPS software and optimal route set-up technology is here and it works very well. Make the investment and save a ton of money on training/learning curves. My pizza delivery guy can do all this.

2. Update the power pads so you can take credit cards and debit cards wirelessly rather than balancing papers on your knee and manually writing out these numbers. Stop taking cash - crazy inefficient.

3. Each package needs to have one barcode (not two) that includes internal FedEx info as well as final delivery address info. So as to save your morning distribution team extra time, a courier standing in front of their van should be able to scan a single barcode and get instant feedback as to whether or not that package belongs on their truck. This would constitute a one time van scan. If a subsequent scanned item is going to an already scanned address, there should be a special tone in the power pad to warn the courier that a second package has been scanned.

4. When people are not home, the printer should print out the entire label. Forget about tearing off two printed stickers (one for the package and a second for the not-hom door tag.

5. Each van needs an ipad or something similar. Current route along with next addresses should be available to the courier in front, not in the back by manually checking cargo.

Great company to work for

Materials Handler (Current Employee)

I have been working at FedEx part-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive salaries
Lots of opportunities to move up within the company
Treated fairly and with respect

ConsI can't think of any cons right now.

Great, other than opportunities for promotion

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at FedEx full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgreat company: good people, decent benefits, good pay, ok vacation, ...

Consno opportunities for promotion
even lateral movement is very limited

good.

Courier (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB

I have been working at FedEx part-time for more than a year

Prosteamwork is awesome and salary is good. big company is hard to get good ideas through but I enjoyed it

ConsIt is a big company. You have to go through a lot of red tape to have management approve of ideas. always expanding

Overall its a good company but the company lives with the success of its past.

Mississauga, ON

I have been working at FedEx

ProsThe benefits, the front line people who actually do the work are great at what they do and there is a tremendous amount of teamwork.

ConsThe managment are complacent and have not initated change in operations/service offering or have no clue of what their strategy is to take on the domestic or for that matter the cross border market. They are too cozy amongst each other and there should be change. They live in the glory of their past, the term what got us here won't keep us here comes to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe entire management should be changed, we cannot continue with the same old. Doing the same thing over and over & expecting different results will not happen. They need to be bold and take some steps to change, the margins on their most profitable buisness segment is diminishing and that should be a wake up call........

Worked for FedEx? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FedEx reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for FedEx CEO Fred Smith. All 952 reviews are posted anonymously by FedEx employees.