Family Dollar Stores

Updated 24 October, 2014
2.3

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine
Howard R. Levine

Pros
  • Hourly associates are paid fairly and can maintain work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Very professional when it comes down to customer service (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is talked about frequently but is looked down upon in some departments (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management is not in touch with reality in daily store operational challenges (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

No growth opportunities

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Good people to work with and good work/life balance

Cons

Too many management levels. Always changing organization structure

They company tried to run each state the same when the stores should be run by region.

I worked at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

There was always work to do. Your could never get bored.

Cons

The upper management changed too much .The company brought people in from Texas and tried to run it the same as New Jersey. Texas is about 2% unemployment and New Jersey is 20%.People in Texas had money and would buy anything .People in New Jersey are poor. Economically these two states are different and should be run different. You cant bring a person from Texas and run stores in NJ..

In the New Jersey stores you need to stop pushing so much clothing The stores are always doing resets. all the discontinued merchandise was never downloaded to the stores. If the register is supposed to do the ordering why do we have to order merchandise. Candy does not sell in N j, especially Halloween and Christmas candy. Too much merchandise in the stores makes the stores looking sloppy. Pull back the merchandise and the stores will look better. Christmas and Halloween merchandise should pulled back. Stores look sloppy and workers can not keep up with work. Too much merchandise in the store and backroom makes the store look sloppy and dirty. Start treating the help with a little respect.

Challenging

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Fast advancement opportunities. Compensation is average.

Cons

Very little payroll. Work alone half your shift and do 90 percent of all the work

To run a store effectively let store managers know what budget is on a consistent basis and don't cut hours midweek after a schedule is made.

Assistant manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Nice company, decent money & good benefits

Cons

Short payroll, lack of management experience

customer service

Current Employee - Assisted Manager in Harper Woods, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Assisted Manager in Harper Woods, MI (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a chance to help clients who needed help. lots and, lots of customer service. being a assistant manager was a great experience. the manager at that store was very cool...

Cons

you will work. period.

keep doin what you do. you work very, very hard with the limited rescources they give you.. you are great. Rich is "the man"

OK

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Co-Workers, work/family balance is OK (wished they closed for holidays though)

Cons

The warehouses sends the store a ton of merchandise that's not able to go on sales floor, pay and raises are terrible( will need a second job if you are taking care of anyone other than yorself)

Easy interview

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Over all, Family dollar seems to be a good basic retail chain to become employed by.I know the interviewing process is fairly basic, as long as you have some basic knowledge of retail management.

Cons

My overall thoughts are to clean up the look of the stores. It is alway nice to have a clean work envirorment .

Increase going money toward the up keep of the store and the number of employs on the clock in a shift.

A positive and enjoyable experience.

Former Employee - Temporary Customer Service Representative in Vansant, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Temporary Customer Service Representative in Vansant, VA (US)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I liked the relatively laid back atmosphere that this particular store offered. The co-workers were very helpful and friendly. I only held a temporary position (remodeling) but definitely enjoyed my time there. Management (store and project managers) were also good to deal with.

Cons

None that really stood out during my stay. If I had worked here longer, my view on this matter would likely be more insightful.

I started out as a cashier and was promoted to assisted manager within 5 months. Its possible to advance, you just have to work hard

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Room for advancement, your regular customer, pay

Cons

Hours, no coverage, can be dangerous (robberies)

You can move up but be ready for hard work, shady management, and no life

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can move up from a cashier to manager in no time, even if you are a part timer you can still get hours as long as you don't go over 40

Cons

Low pay($8.50/hr for assistant managers), only two people on a shift, no safety, very little cameras in the store, unprofessional store management, favoritism is the way up

After working two years for this company my advice to the management and the CEO would be to go ahead and accept any bids to sell it. The company was bad when I was there and it's only getting worse. The employee turnover rate in the store I worked in was horrendous. Family Dollar has a high disregard for their employees and will have you working in a bad area with only two people on shift, no security, and the only cameras they had were to watch the front register and backroom door so if something happens to you in the back of the store where is the evidence? Besides that the work load is too much to only have two people on shift and expect the cashier to do U-Boats plus ring people up on register, recover the store and have your managers do all of that plus the manager work that comes with it. My store was so bad to where my store manager even started making up excuses just to get days off from work because you work your store managers to death as well, so guess who had to pick up the slack and basically become a store manager for two weeks straight at minimum wage? My district manager was the worst and would only pop his head in to save his own tail whenever he knew he was getting a visit from his boss, other than that he could give a crap about how his district was ran. Upper management will try to find anything to write you up for. They expect work to be done but don't want to offer more hours on the payroll for an extra employee to help out on shift. I've got some true advice for you, stop worrying about your fat bonus, open your payroll up for more than two employees to work on a shift, and put better safety parameters in place to keep your work environment safe because right now it's an utter mess from customers stealing out the store to employees doing the same and it's only getting worse. Since Dollar Tree acquired the company I can only hope they will abolish the name "Family Dollar" because this place is anything but "Family" friendly.

Family Dollar Stores Photos