FactSet Reviews

Updated 30 September, 2014
3.7

FactSet Chairman and CEO Philip A. Hadley
Philip A. Hadley

Pros
  • Perfect work-life balance for example you will get mentor when you are on boarding (in 72 reviews)

• very good work life balance; nice coworkers; no pushing; soft deadline; free lunch (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • The company seems to balance out the work/life balance very well (in 11 reviews)

• No career path defined and joining diffeent teams is riven with red tape (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Well not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Public Relations  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Public Relations in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FactSet full-time for less than a year

Pros

-pay, work style, people really nice, overall positive

Cons

overall not that much flexibility

Great!

Current Employee - Research Analyst  in  Manila, Manila (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I have been working at FactSet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free drinks forever and Free food monthly. Free shuttle service

Cons

Low starting salary, and they use Internet Explorer

Smart, nimble company with excellent corporate culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at FactSet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very smart people building world class products. They are very employee-centric and invest a lot of time and money into employee development. I worked there for 5 years and always felt proud to call myself a FactSetter.

Cons

As with many small companies that are selective with their hiring to protect the corporate culture, once they start to grow and get bigger there is risk that the corporate culture changes or is diluted and also that with expansion comes execution and integration challenges from acquisitions, etc. There was a bit of that towards the end of my time at FactSet and from what I hear it continued for a bit. Although now things appear to be stabilized.

At the time I was there, there was not a clearly defined career path for most positions. They did not have even any titles that could be given as a sign of progress or promotion. This was a problem for many employees.

Invest more time and thought into growth of employees, titles and job promotions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for.

I have been working at FactSet for more than 8 years

Pros

Free lunches, laid back atmosphere, surrounded by really smart and motivated people. FactSet is a great company for new graduates and experienced professionals alike.

Cons

FactSet is an engineering company with content, sales and development adjuncts. As such, these other areas are de-emphasized. At times project management and application development can become overly bureaucratized. Overall, it is still a great place to work.

Software engineer

I worked at FactSet

Pros

Work life balance in the company

Cons

There are no opportunities for location change

Flexible, good starting place.

Current Employee - Research Specialist  in  Norwalk, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Research Specialist in Norwalk, CT (US)

I have been working at FactSet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours, great culture and people. Free lunch! Good benefits. Easy going culture.

Cons

Lower pay than competitive companies. Freedom and flexibility at times leads to lack of structure.

Equity Research Analyst

Former Employee - Equity Research Analyst  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Equity Research Analyst in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at FactSet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good scope for Learning, good work life balance.

Cons

Less pay and full politics for Internal job Postings.

Choose your team carefully; you're individual experiences will vary. Value experience over young.

Former Employee - Software Engineer I  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in New York, NY (US)

I worked at FactSet full-time for more than a year

Pros

FacSet is full of bright young, and somewhat upbeat recent college grads who are eager to learn and investigate new technology. Your experience here will be heavily dependant on your team and your manager and not the company as a whole. Some of the great things about FactSet include:

-loads of new things to learn
    -Loads of Modern Front End Technologies
    -Work with multiple languages (Java, C#, python etc etc.. we use all of them in someway)
    -Resume becomes extremely marketable very quickly (Thomson Reuters and Bloomberg will bombast your linkedin accounts)

Cons

-Inexperienced developers (Start an application from scratch with mostly recent grads, and no one on the team had serious experience working with any of the tools before starting the project)
    -Heavy handed with H1B visas (Team of 8 people, 12 of them including both managers are H1B visa holders)
    -Inexperienced managers. (Poor people skills, very unsympathetic, F.O.B. level foreign)
    -Too much bureaucracy (I need to go through 6-7 different processes and involve 10-12 people on the team in order to submit a bug fix or new
    -OLD ARCHAIC BACKEND, we have to write C++ code to compile with limited debugger and development tools on a OpenVMS cluster. HP is about to discontinue this server technology.
    -Nothing is documented. Not even 20 year old server technology that we invented.
    -difficult to relate to product (How sexy does "Financial Reporting/Analytic tools" sound to someone on a date?)
    -too "corporate" in the NY office. No one is upbeat or energetic and when you try to spread that enthusiasm you are met with a wall. (I guess that's a introverted engineer thing)

-HIRE MORE EXPERIENCED DEVELOPERS
    -HIRE FEWER H1Bs
    -MANAGERS SHOULD HAVE MORE THAN JUST A YEAR OF EXPERIENCE AT THE COMPANY
    -Allow members to change teams faster than 18 months. That's just a way to lose a skilled developer to a competitor.
    -FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP DEVELOPING ON VMS WE ARE STILL DOING NEW DEVELOPMENT WORK ON IT AS OF 09/08/2014.THROW THE TERRIBLE SERVERS OUT THE WINDOW! ITS A GOD DAMN NIGHTMARE FOR ANYONE TO WORK WITH. 30 STEPS TO RUN A PREBUILD. WHAT IS THIS CRAP!
    -Marquee cannot be an all in one software stop trying.
    - Again, HIRE MORE EXPERIENCED DEVELOPERS.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

culture, people, free lunch, work life balance

Cons

old and out-dated technologies, a lot of meetings

Has been a great company but new management has different values

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Great benefits, develop a great network in the financial community, given a lot of responsibility early in career, community service, free lunch

Cons

Change in leadership, lack of loyalty, below average compensation, constantly reorganizing departments, tons of internal politics, much of the office space is outdated

Stop the constant reorganization and promotions based on politics. Get back to the values that have made the company great in the past

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!